D20 Collecting
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:16 pm 

I see.

These German editions, with boxed rulebooks, are very interesting.  I wonder why they did not do that for the US and UK markets...?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:18 pm 

FormCritic wrote:I wonder why they did not do that for the US and UK markets...?

Probably couldn't justify the extra cost of a box, etc.  I wonder more why the German versions are boxed.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:20 pm 

What I was pointing out was that the boxed set specifically in question did not contain the core rulebooks.  Those are quickstart rules only.  The same version of the game was available in English.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2011 8:47 pm 

There is some really good quality German RPG stuff put out over the last couple of years.. limited ed, german only rpg stuff, good quality stuff.. pitty I don't read it..

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 6:55 am 

I've noticed Necromancer Games have released their entire back catalog in POD format through RPGNow etc. And on the back of this, NKG are now selling Necromancer Games back catalog having been printed from the PDFs and calling them (2nd Edition, Reprinted). So you can now buy all those difficult to find NG items dirt cheap, and you can get RAR for the bargain price of $75 (original cover price me thinks!?).

This being the case, I would imagine there is going to be a whole range of different quality '2nd reprints' out there, and the POD companies are notorious for not quality checking their output, and swapping out card and paper stocks, and inks, even mid product.

Be warned, and be sure to check when you buy Necromancer Games stuff, that you know if you're getting a 1st print, or a reprint POD. And pay your price accorningly.

It would be really nice if Bill Webb could comment on whether or not NG are distinguishing the reprints from the original print run, or whether they are diluting the market with reproductions with no true means of determining the difference between them.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:34 am 

From looking at a few of their bigger items (RAR and The City of Brass), the descriptions at RPGnow both state something like "the printed version of this is one volume where the original is x volumes". Makes it a little easier to differentiate between the boxed sets...individual items would still have to be looked at even closer.

Even the RAR (Rappan Athuk Reloaded) states

"...
Be sure to choose the PDF + Book option since some maps are only available as downloads.
..."

So even that reprint wouldn't include some of the maps unless the person that bought it actually prints out the downloaded maps.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:48 am 

The reassuring thing with RAR and CoB is the presence of the box. I don't know about the format, as NKG seem to indicate their 'reprint' is in three volimes, but that could just be poor intelligence on the part of the listing clerks. They seem to get things wrong fairly regularly. Just honest errors mind you. Not deliberately for personal financial profit like some toads do on the internet.

I'd also be cpncerned about the single volume products. That said, Glades of Death and Barakas could use a softcover release. :D

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:09 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:I've noticed Necromancer Games have released their entire back catalog in POD format through RPGNow etc. And on the back of this, NKG are now selling Necromancer Games back catalog having been printed from the PDFs and calling them (2nd Edition, Reprinted). So you can now buy all those difficult to find NG items dirt cheap, and you can get RAR for the bargain price of $75 (original cover price me thinks!?).

This being the case, I would imagine there is going to be a whole range of different quality '2nd reprints' out there, and the POD companies are notorious for not quality checking their output, and swapping out card and paper stocks, and inks, even mid product.

Be warned, and be sure to check when you buy Necromancer Games stuff, that you know if you're getting a 1st print, or a reprint POD. And pay your price accorningly.

It would be really nice if Bill Webb could comment on whether or not NG are distinguishing the reprints from the original print run, or whether they are diluting the market with reproductions with no true means of determining the difference between them.

Great points there, Ian.  Be sure of the edition you are getting before overpaying. I'll ask Bill that question when he's here for NTRPG con in two weeks.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:20 am 

Badmike wrote:Great points there, Ian.  Be sure of the edition you are getting before overpaying. I'll ask Bill that question when he's here for NTRPG con in two weeks.

That would be most welcome.
As NG has drawn a line under the company's printed product, there are going to be those wanting to complete their collections. I cannot think of a single item that they put out that I could say was poor, and for the most part, their output has been some of the best product for D&D in the past decade.

Genuine first printings are high quality, for the most part very cheap compared to core value, and finite in number. A decent NG collection, IMO, is more satisfying and more enjoyable than a GG collection.

POD does allow you to fill gaps if you feel the need to, whilst you're chasing down an original. But for the price, most originals can be had real cheap anyways. In my experience, RAR is the only expensive item in the range, and even ten, it's generally cheaper than CZ:UW for whole lot more gameplay and just as much history and flavour.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 2:44 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:I don't know about the format, as NKG seem to indicate their 'reprint' is in three volimes, but that could just be poor intelligence on the part of the listing clerks.

Noble Knight is pretty clear that it is all bound into 1 book.

NK wrote:Contains 3 books bound in 1:

Book 1: The Dungeon of Graves - 232 pages of dungeon crawling
Book 2: Servants, Slaves and Food - 96 pages of monsters and NPCs
Book 3: Pathways to Damnation - 56 pages of maps.

I wonder if NK is having them printed internally (do they do that sort of thing)?  Do these companies put any kind of advertising on their items.  There is the NK version of GG module with the NK logo.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:46 pm 

Just enjoyed some ice cold Tartan Ale and read this thread from beginning to end. Thanks to Formcritic for his reviews and input on the d20 surge.

I agree the Gazetteer and New World Adventures by Doug Anderson are worth a spot on peoples collecting shelves.

I disagree that the quality of the production has anything to do with collectability. I own The Temple to Athena...nuff said.

I'm not sure whether or not d20 books will ever be as collectible as early D&D books. There were so many in such a short span of time. I can't see them gaining much more than 1/4 the cover price for a while yet.
I was playing D&D regularly during the d20 days and we only made room for White Wolf S&S and Necromancer games items. Other 3.0 d20 material like Atlas games, AEG, and Fast Forward didn't come my way until 3.0's time had passed. I saw books like the Slayers guides as money wasters.

Fun to buy dirt cheap but I suppose that's how the collecting bug works. Then you end up spending big money on the material you don't have yet.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:46 pm 

So what's happening here ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT

If that's the value these days, I'll have to get the one in my local gamingstore at 1/3 of the retail price.

Although looking at the bids it seems three bidders of which one has 0 feedback. That should explain it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:25 pm 

xRalphx wrote:So what's happening here ?

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

If that's the value these days, I'll have to get the one in my local gamingstore at 1/3 of the retail price.

Although looking at the bids it seems three bidders of which one has 0 feedback. That should explain it.

$30 would be a good price on this item.  

Note these words on this particular auction:

Please note that the maps are not included with this item.

The value of the book without the maps is *drum roll* zero.

ok, maybe $5?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:04 pm 

FormCritic wrote:The value of the book without the maps is *drum roll* zero.

I think you can find the maps online somewhere in pdf (maybe from the AEG website).

Here's a link:   http://www.james.neetersoft.com/wld/wld.htm
Also here:  http://www.worldslargestdungeon.com/archive/

At 1/3 cover price, I would buy it too.  I sold an extra copy a few months back for $150 BIN.

In recent sales, the last one with the maps sold for $105.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:29 pm 

A pdf of the maps is good for game play.  As a collectible, they aren't worth anything.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:22 pm 

FormCritic wrote:A pdf of the maps is good for game play.  As a collectible, they aren't worth anything.

I don't think most people buying this don't have "its a collectible in mind".  But yes, very slim chance of ever being able to complete the collectible if you only get the book.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:52 am 

People actually play it?! It's sh"te. Who are these people?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:02 am 

I've read it.  I think it's a clever piece of writing.  It's got a huge, impressive map and many interesting descriptions and situations.

PreviousNext