D20 Collecting
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 47 of 54123 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 525354
Author

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:24 am 

TheHistorian wrote:Excellent!  Thanks for all the ideas, everyone.

I guess the followup question is how about d20/3.0/3.5 material from WOTC?  I don't really see that stuff mentioned... ever.

I know some of the later Monster Manuals were sought after. MMIV and MMV if memory serves me.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:45 am 

The only WotC produced 3rd edition "splatbooks" I bothered to pick up were the two Fiendish Codex books.  There is some good stuff there if you wanted to expand on a campaign in the lower outer planes.

I have .pdf's of additional 3rd edition material and I also thought that some of the content of the books Elder Evils and Libris Mortis was useful.

And although I thought most of the 3rd edition adventures produced by WotC were abysmal, there were a few that I enjoyed reading through.  Not very original mind you but still good.  The ones I recommend are:

Red Hand of Doom
Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil
City of the Spider Queen
Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk
Expedition to the Demonweb Pits

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:52 pm 

I thought splatbooks referred to 2E books: the Complete Book of X... 3E too?

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:45 pm 

davidc wrote:I thought splatbooks referred to 2E books: the Complete Book of X... 3E too?

Definition of a splatbook per Wikipedia:

Splatbooks are sourcebooks devoted to a particular facet, character class, or fictional faction in a role-playing game, providing additional background details and rules options. For example, a "swords and sorcery" fantasy game might offer splatbooks for each of the races in the setting: humans, dwarves, elves, and others.

From what I have read, the term "splatbook" started with White Wolf and their World of Darkness games (Vampire, Werewolf, etc) with all of the unnecessary clan and tradition books they put out.  The 2E Complete books were apparently retroactively assigned the same designation.

Or maybe it's just a bunch of horseshit.  :wink:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:57 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:The ones I recommend are:

Red Hand of Doom
Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil
City of the Spider Queen
Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk
Expedition to the Demonweb Pits

I just finished reading through Expedition to the Demonweb Pits yesterday and enjoyed it.  I hated that I didn't really understand what all the stat blocks meant, but I knew enough about most of the monsters that I could figure them out.  It was definitely a challenging adventure, and can't imagine how I would fare as an adventurer.  There were a few typos here and there, but not enough to overly distract.

I could not find the thread where someone found several of these on eBay at a reasonably good price at something like $8.95 plus shipping.  Whoever that was, thank you.   :)

I own Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil, but I haven't read it yet.  I look forward to that, but know it'll take me a while to slog through it.  If I remember correctly, it was one of the top, all time adventures as ranked by Dungeon magazine many years back.

I don't know that I'll ever buy another d20 adventure if for no other reason than I can't understand the stat blocks.  Maybe one day I'll go to the trouble of getting someone to explain it to me, or I'm sure I could learn all about it somewhere on the web, but my heart isn't in it.   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:15 pm 

benjoshua wrote:
I just finished reading through Expedition to the Demonweb Pits yesterday and enjoyed it.  I hated that I didn't really understand what all the stat blocks meant, but I knew enough about most of the monsters that I could figure them out.  It was definitely a challenging adventure, and can't imagine how I would fare as an adventurer.  There were a few typos here and there, but not enough to overly distract.

I could not find the thread where someone found several of these on eBay at a reasonably good price at something like $8.95 plus shipping.  Whoever that was, thank you.   :)

I own Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil, but I haven't read it yet.  I look forward to that, but know it'll take me a while to slog through it.  If I remember correctly, it was one of the top, all time adventures as ranked by Dungeon magazine many years back.

I don't know that I'll ever buy another d20 adventure if for no other reason than I can't understand the stat blocks.  Maybe one day I'll go to the trouble of getting someone to explain it to me, or I'm sure I could learn all about it somewhere on the web, but my heart isn't in it.   8)

I did a review of Expedition to the Demonweb Pits some time ago.  It's probably up higher on this strand, if you  look for it.

The quality and production values of Expedition to the Demonweb Pits is just awesome.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:29 pm 

These arrived today:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

I have three thoughts about these World of Whitethorn modules:

1)  This is just what was great about the D20 phenomenon.  Everyone who had a long-running D&D campaign, a couple of connections or a few bucks was able to get it into print.

2)  This is just what I hate about the D20 phenomenon.  a 72 page module with 31 pages wasted on new spells, skills, feats and rules.  :x   Criminey! Who cares?  :x

3)  This is just the sort of D20 product that will be valuable in the long run.  Down the line (and possibly after my time, to be honest) these two modules will be sought-after by collectors for their future obscurity and rarity.

Anyway...hard to beat the price I paid.    :D

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:32 pm 

** expired/removed eBay auction **

A nice Necromancer lot....

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:02 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:The only WotC produced 3rd edition "splatbooks" I bothered to pick up were the two Fiendish Codex books.  There is some good stuff there if you wanted to expand on a campaign in the lower outer planes.

Higher-level versions of those critters were written up over several months in Dragon, prior to the release of the Fiendish Codex volumes. I remember there being some gnashing of fangs over the enormous disparity between the stat blocks. If I recall, the official response was that the Dragon's Demonomicon of Iggwilv series gave the critters the stats they would deserve in a Manual of the Planes-like context, whereas the codices statted them as critters you could aim to kill without having to dip your toe in the waters of insanity that are 3e's epic rules.

I would like to see the environment series from WotC becoming collectible; I really enjoyed Frostburn, Sandstorm, Citycscape and Dungeonscape.

A WotC book most people wouldn't recommend is Savage Species. It's widely dismissed as deeply flawed but I think it was conceptually laudable and there was a lot in it that didn't need much fixing. Doubt it will be considered a must-have for any but the 3.x completist, however. Shame.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:24 pm 

By and large, I have not collected the WOTC hardbacks for 3.0/3.5.

The prices on those hardbacks were triple or quadruple their actual gaming value, making even a half-price markdown unreasonable.

I suspect they'll be as collectible as any other D20 product...with the caveat that they were probably printed in larger numbers than most third party press items.

In the short term, they'll be available over-priced from wholesalers.  In the longer term they'll be available in large lots of books sold as a set by former 3.0/3.5 players.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:08 pm 

I have them all...   :D

If there's a question about a 3.0/3.5 book[D&D/WoTC], ask me and I'll try to answer it for you.

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

** Banned **

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:47 pm 

OK, I'm game. Why did WotC think it was a good idea to published the book by Ed Greenwood for Forgotten Realms entitled "Power of Faerun"? As far as I can tell, it has no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:11 pm 

Tangent: what's a good forum to refer someone to for d20/3.5 playing?  enworld?  Does paizo have a forum?

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:18 pm 

TheHistorian wrote:Tangent: what's a good forum to refer someone to for d20/3.5 playing?  enworld?  Does paizo have a forum?

Paizo does, though obviously their focus is on PFRPG not 3.5 per se.  While I'm sure there is still some 3.5 play out there, I would reckon most "modern" gamers made a choice of 4E or PFRPG.  As an edition change, PFRPG is fairly subtle and based upon improving the existing, rather than a ground up revision.  Somewhat similar I think to the 3.0-3.5 switch - nobody stuck with 3.0.  Likewise, 3.5 players have largely moved to PFRPG.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:10 pm 

To add to Grug's comment, they still discuss 3.x/d20 stuff (and even *other games*), and there are subforums relating to their 3.5 adventure paths and other books, plus ones for Dragon and Dungeon magazines if you want to see them.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:49 pm 

If someone would do me a favor and report in one (or more!) of these forums that there are more than a dozen auctions for many of the higher-priced, minty 3.5 rulebooks and supplements on eBay starting at 99 cents, I would appreciate it.  I have no interest in joining any of those forums to announce one sale.  I'll probably never list this stuff again.   8)

Here's my link:

eBay listings

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:01 am 

For those players like myself that still play 3.5, Enworld is the site to have handy.

http://www.enworld.org/

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:15 am 

Invincible Overlord wrote:For those players like myself that still play 3.5, Enworld is the site to have handy.

http://www.enworld.org/

I could not find their classified's section, but I didn't look too hard.   :?

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 47 of 54123 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 525354