D20 Collecting
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:55 pm 

serleran wrote:Gaxmoor is a great product. :)

What other World of Erde products are worth buying but not too frustrating of a read?   They are on promotional sale now; is anything particularly collectible?

I already have both the Codex of Erde and The Lost City of Gaxmoor.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:15 pm 

What other World of Erde products are worth buying but not too frustrating of a read?   They are on promotional sale now; is anything particularly collectible?

Well, this will be about all of the TLG products, since many of the original WoE products are being revamped for C&C and the remake as World of Aihrde (Airdhe? -- I never get that right.)

All the early TLG products are riddled with spelling mistakes and grammar problems, but there are some that are worth getting (especially if you want to use them in your game) like The Fantastic Adventure and Gary Gygax's The Hermit, along with Dark Druids. Heart of Glass is an excellent module (Winter Runes is a neat sourcebook,) and the entire run of the Gygaxian Fantasy World series is good, but has value depending on if you need them (for example, Insidiae is good if you need help with plots, or if you want to write fantasy novels, but if you use modules all the time, its not as much use.) Other stuff, like Book of Familiars is very useful, even for non-d20 games (I use it for help in creating alternate mutant animals for my Gamma World games.) The Map of the World of Erde is pretty cool, too.

On the collectible side, I'd say that the original After Winter Dark (pre-d20, pre-Codex of Erde -- it was from this that the Codex was written) product is good, as is the pre-d20 Sword and Sorcery game system (its a universal game system) module Mortality of Green. Other things that are difficult to find/rare are the CD-ROM products The Malady of Kings and The Fantastic Adventure (there are supposedly others but I have not ever seen them.)

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:50 pm 

I don't have them in front of me, but I have bought most of those Erde D20 modules while they  have been on special.

Pardon my spelling of their names....

The "Death on the Treklant" series is interesting.  They are not great works of fiction, but could work as adventures...particularly the last one, which features a massed battle.

Berchtholt by Shadow of Night is a city module that lacks a good map.  The overall feel is good.  The layout is not good.

Dark Druids, by Rob Kuntz, is good...I have written a review of it somewhere around here.....

I have not really studied the others yet.  I just collected them at their low price for future reference.  I think everyone who doesn't will regret it eventually.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:58 pm 

I believe I got all their print stuff..btw The Malady of Kings and The Fantastic Adventure are also print products.
Haven't checked out the site today, but shall in a bit..hope the sale is for something just released.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:35 pm 

Plaag wrote:Haven't checked out the site today, but shall in a bit..hope the sale is for something just released.

I clicked on the "Erde" link and got shown their old Erde products that are on sale.  I don't know how long this sale has been running.  I think Mark mentioned it recently.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:31 am 

Those who liked Rappan Athuk Box Set may want to think about picking up the City of Brass Box Set from Necromancer Games.

It contains 4 books: Book 1 gives an overview and details of the Plane of Molten Skies and the City of Brass. Book 2 is 1001 Efreet Nights and features adventures in the City of Brass and Plane of Molten Skies. Book 3 is NPCs, new magic items, feats, spells, and other crunch to use in the setting. Book 4 is the map book, the maps are colored to resemble parchment.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:00 pm 

Do you guys know about Wolfgang Baur´s  Open Design?  Basically he is writing D20 projects on comission. The first adventure "Castle Shadowcrag" is limited to 200 issues. I´m not sure if the later projects will be limited too though. The reviews are good and i think it is an interesting concept.  

Links:
http://www.wolfgangbaur.com/
http://customadventure.livejournal.com/

P.S.: He´s publishing a game zine too: Kobold Quarterly

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:26 pm 

frankfromgermany wrote:Do you guys know about Wolfgang Baur´s  Open Design?  Basically he is writing D20 projects on comission. The first adventure "Castle Shadowcrag" is limited to 200 issues. I´m not sure if the later projects will be limited too though. The reviews are good and i think it is an interesting concept.  

Links:

Thanks for the heads up.  It looks very interesting...kind of like Rob Kuntz' project.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:15 pm 

FormCritic wrote:
Thanks for the heads up.  It looks very interesting...kind of like Rob Kuntz' project.

Yeh, except for the absolutely ludricrous "explanations" why the "patrons" won't let the material be widely distributed are disturbing, to say the least.

If you want a copy of an early work then too bad. You should have gotten in on the ground floor. You will just have to wait until someone sells their patronage for that project to you with all the appellate rights of ownership that has. Until then they have the pride of being able to say-this is mine, at least in part. I helped. And I paid for it.

....Except no one ASKED me to get in on the ground floor.  I'm pretty well plugged into the gaming/RPG world, yet never heard of this project until now.  And I'm being told tough shit, you are NEVER going to have a copy, well, because we don't want you to. That's great, but dude, don't EVER expect me to donate any money to further vanity projects of yours under any circumstances.  Jeez.  8O  

I continue to support and purchase Rob Kuntz's material both because I like to support the direct sales model, and they are quality projects.  Then again, there is no super-secret "cabal" that is attempting to make the material so exclusive it can't be owned by anyone except game designers or their friends!

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:26 pm 

Repeat

NTRPGCON

Last edited by Badmike on Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:27 pm 

Plaag wrote:Those who liked Rappan Athuk Box Set may want to think about picking up the City of Brass Box Set from Necromancer Games.

ShaneG.

Yeah man, definetly going to pick this up.    8)

Correct me if I am wrong but some guys have already posted on the NG forums that they picked it up at Origins?  When is it actually coming out in stores?

Cheers!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:53 pm 

frankfromgermany wrote:Do you guys know about Wolfgang Baur´s  Open Design?  Basically he is writing D20 projects on comission. The first adventure "Castle Shadowcrag" is limited to 200 issues ...
Links:

That whole patronage cabal business is just bizarre ...let's pay this guy to write adventures for us, but no one outside our little group will ever see them.  Kind of like someone comissioning  Erol Otus to do an original painting, but oh by the way I am going to cover it up in my livingroom and prevent you other guys from seeing it! Ever! Sorry you didn't go in on the work. The emoticon with the rolling eyes just doesn't do it ... how do make (type) the sound of somone taking a long deep drag from a dubee?

Cheers!

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:16 pm 

Badmike wrote:
BTW, it's impossible to purchase Castle Shadowcrag in any format at this point since it's a close project....sorry!  :(

Not true. Any member of the current project can get a copy.

Also, I believe the last day of June was the last day to sign up for Kobold Quarterly......

Also not true. You can subscribe any time. Sorry for any confusion.

Wolfgang

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:17 pm 

islestrike wrote:
That whole patronage cabal business is just bizarre ...let's pay this guy to write adventures for us, but no one outside our little group will ever see them.  Kind of like someone comissioning  Erol Otus to do an original painting, but oh by the way I am going to cover it up in my livingroom and prevent you other guys from seeing it! Ever! Sorry you didn't go in on the work. The emoticon with the rolling eyes just doesn't do it ... how do make (type) the sound of somone taking a long deep drag from a dubee?

It's just a limited edition. What's so weird about that?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:44 pm 

islestrike wrote:Kind of like someone comissioning  Erol Otus to do an original painting, but oh by the way I am going to cover it up in my livingroom and prevent you other guys from seeing it! Ever!

Cheers!

Erol Otus is doing just that.  There is at least one member of this forum that has a commissioned piece by Otus and it is unique....no one else has one.  Dumbass still hasnt gotten it framed though.  :P

There is nothing wrong with doing a limited edition adventure and having people pay money to fund it.  Rob Kuntz has done that with Cairn of the Skeleton King, Tower of Blood, and Bottle City.  A little different than with Castle Shadowcrag but still basically the same idea.

By the way Mike, where did this quote come from?

If you want a copy of an early work then too bad. You should have gotten in on the ground floor. You will just have to wait until someone sells their patronage for that project to you with all the appellate rights of ownership that has. Until then they have the pride of being able to say-this is mine, at least in part. I helped. And I paid for it.

:?

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:06 pm 

islestrike wrote:
 Kind of like someone comissioning  Erol Otus to do an original painting, but oh by the way I am going to cover it up in my livingroom and prevent you other guys from seeing it! Ever!

Cheers!

Erol Otus is doing just that.  There is at least one member of this forum that has a commissioned piece by Otus and it is unique....no one else has one.  Dumbass still hasnt gotten it framed though.  

Hey, that's a ROSLOF print.  Get your classic 1st edition artists straight!

There is nothing wrong with doing a limited edition adventure and having people pay money to fund it.  Rob Kuntz has done that with Cairn of the Skeleton King, Tower of Blood, and Bottle City.  A little different than with Castle Shadowcrag but still basically the same idea.

I'm just pissed I didn't know about it sooner, and the deadlines seem to have passed for several of the projects.

By the way Mike, where did this quote come from?

Quote:

One of the patrons for Baur's first project....he posted this in a blog explaining why he voted against past projects ever becoming available to the public.  To be fair to Baur, I found a later posting where he disagreed with the thoughts presented here, but honoring his "patrons" wishes, he went ahead and said he would abide by the sentiment.  So instead of Baur, I guess I should have instead been angry at the patrons that would deny me getting a look at the already published stuff.... :oops:

I want to go on record that I love Baur's stuff.  I think Kingdom of the Ghouls is one of the best 2nd edition adventures ever, if not the best.  Based on his post above by Baur, I'm going to put my money where my mouth is and sign up for the newest project, which seems to be something called Empire of the Ghouls, perhaps a re-take on the original Dungeon magazine Ghoul module, and see how it goes since Baur states any current member can get a copy and sign up anytime.   From what Baur says and what is written on his site, I'm going to assume the "cutoff dates" are not written-in-stone official, and take a chance here that I can still get a copy

I do enjoy supporting self publishing, as I have done with Kuntz stuff, OSRIC, and other venues like Dragonsfoot. I don't enjoy being shutout of self publishing efforts I had no idea were even being offered.  I feel sorry for the guy in, say, two years who just discovers Open Design and is REALLY pissed he's not going to be able to ever see any of the last three years worth of goodies.... :cry:

Mike B .

NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:14 pm 

Hey, that's a ROSLOF print.  Get your classic 1st edition artists straight!

Duh, I knew that.  :oops:

I want to go on record that I love Baur's stuff.

Same here.

I feel sorry for the guy in, say, two years who just discovers Open Design and is REALLY pissed he's not going to be able to ever see any of the last three years worth of goodies....

Isn't that what .pdf's are for?

Just kidding... PDT_Armataz_01_18

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:19 pm 

WolfgangBaur wrote:
Also not true. You can subscribe any time. Sorry for any confusion.

Wolfgang

Sorry for the confusion on MY part...re-reading the site, it appears the mistake was mine.  I misunderstood the availaiblity was still open to members who signed on to present/future projects.  That's what I get for reading it after swilling down frosty drinks one after another at Doug's margarita machine this afternoon...

Here's a plug for this project of Baur's to hopefully make up for the misunderstanding...sounds cool:

Castle Shadowcrag
The family Stross ruled the city-state of Zobeck for nearly 600 years, marrying well, fighting off invasion, and holding off a terrible curse. Then their castle was sacked in a peasant revolt, the family was hanged, and their name was erased from the histories.
All but one.
The survivor, a young boy, sold his soul to shadow creatures that haunted the castle, fey and flickering things never seen directly. The creatures always promised power and glory to those who would only listen, and the boy heard, listened, and obeyed the dark shadow fey.
When the heroes visit the castle, they step into the dangerous burden of that past. The castle teeters on the edge of the Shadow plane, and things quickly go wrong. The heroes slip through shadow into various reflections of the castle's dark past - and they can set things right.
This 96-page Gothic adventure is for 10th and 11th level characters.
Availability: This project is closed and not available to the public, but it is available to patrons of the current Open Design project. To join Open Design, please donate today.

This looks like the PRESENT project...sounds ever cooler....

The Empire of the Ghouls
Deep below the earth, in caverns lightless and unknown to man, live our nightmares: the spidery drow, the wild alien mind shredders and intellect devourers, the insatiable ghouls in their cities and empires.
This Open Design project is all about creating an advanced, detailed underdark society of civilized ghouls. This includes some description of their gods, slaves, templates, new monsters, and unique magic, and then setting up all those elements within a multi-level adventure for roughly 9th to 12th level. The final result will be a 128-page adventure unlike any other, with lethal and new challenges for any experienced party.
It's up to you to decide what you'd like to query, though I'd ask that you not query more than one or two articles at a time. As the Open Design 'zine, anything sword & sorcery, tabletop RPG, and D&D-related will get a hearing.

Fully-mapped ghoul empire and underdark cities
More than 50 playtested encounters, many with tactical maps
A ghoul prestige class, the Imperial Hunter
An interview with Paizo Publisher Erik Mona
Ghoul magic and items unique to the Imperium
And 7 new deadly monsters!
Join today as a patron or a patron of the arts, and help support Open Design!

And here's what appears to be a future project of Baur...part of the Paizo Pathfinder series (Part #4) that will begin in August and is a continuation of their acclaimed Adventure Path series. I'm not too keen on purchasing only ONE part of an adventure, at $20 a pop, but damn it sounds so cool I may have to...Wolfgang does mention the "magic words" in the description (Giants Style):

Pathfinder: Fortress of the Stone Giants
My first Pathfinder manuscript is a 40,000-word adventure that builds a modern D&D adventure out of the Giants style, like Steading of the Hill Giant Chief or Halls of the Fire Giant King. This is part of the Rise of the Runelords adventure path, and it's gone off to the editor. I am writing two articles for Pathfinder as well, one ecological, one historical.

A sudden assault on the town of Sandpoint by stone giants and a dragon brings the looming threat home. After the giants are defeated, the heroes learn that they were but a scouting party - that the stone giants are massing for war. The only way to disrupt their advance is to strike at the Jorgenfist, the fortress of Warlord Mokmurian, the sinister giant responsible for gathering his people for war. What secrets wait to be discovered in the dungeons below the Jorgenfist, and what is the true reason the giants have rallied for war? This installment of Pathfinder also includes additional rules and information on the stone giant race, a detailed description of the goddess of valor and her faithful crusaders, and several new monsters native to the rugged badlands of the stone giant realm.

I hope that the stuff lives up to the hype...I guess I'll review it when I get it sometime in the future...

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

PreviousNext