D20 Collecting
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 38 of 54123 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 525354
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:03 pm 

The D&D Encounters adventures seems to fecth a nice price (nice if you are the seller of course  :P ): I sold some days ago a copy of the first Undermountain adventure, with admittedly a lot of extras, for around £ 50  8O Am I the only seller to have such experience?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:41 pm 

Alexander1968 wrote:The D&D Encounters adventures seems to fecth a nice price (nice if you are the seller of course  :P ): I sold some days ago a copy of the first Undermountain adventure, with admittedly a lot of extras, for around £ 50  8O Am I the only seller to have such experience?

Do you mean the D20 Expedition to books?  Or is there another Undermountain book?  I'm not familiar with the "D&D Encounters" line.

With minimal searching, the Expedition to books can be found for less than $10 each.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:31 pm 

Mars wrote:
Do you mean the D20 Expedition to books?  Or is there another Undermountain book?  I'm not familiar with the "D&D Encounters" line.

With minimal searching, the Expedition to books can be found for less than $10 each.

Where could I find Expedition to Castle Greyhawk for that price?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:38 pm 

puterdragon wrote:Okay, that's great. I was thinking of concentrating on the G, K, and possibly D series, with F3 thrown in if I can get it.
Since I've already got the R1-3 (thanks to enthusiasts here!), I didn't include them. I've got Abysthor as well (I keep forgetting that one for some reason).
Right now, it's cheap modules over the pocket book-slaughtering boxed sets <sad>.
I'm glad that NG is consistently great for content (I want either the playing or collecting potential).
BTW: What do you think?:
Golden age: 1979 and earlier (OD&D, Basic, and very early 1st Edition);
Silver Age: 1980-2000 approx. (most 1st Edition and all 2nd Edition AD&D);
Bronze Age: 2001+ (d20/3rd Edition).
I know the dates don't line up in the usual color-coding way (I'm not sure of the exact cut-off for each Edition), but this is the way I think of collecting.
In general, I don't think 4th Edition will ever be as collectable as prior Editions. Low print runs on some items will be the exceptions.
Gary

I would date the Golden Age all the way up to 1980, 1982 or even as high as 1985.

It depends on what you consider "golden."

One possible dividing line in AD&D would be the shift from monochrome to four color module covers...but there are a few classics that fall into the four color era.

For me, the Golden Age ended when 2nd Edition was announced...right around late 1985.

You could also date it from the official ouster of Gary Gygax...the day he was locked out of his office.

Also, I don't think the Silver Age extended all the way to 2000.  There as an intermediate period in the 90's where 2nd Edition D&D was basically treading water and starting to sink.  Read the DRAGON magazines from the late 90's, just before the sale of TSR to Wizards of the Coast.  You'll see the quality difference...generally listless nature of the publication.

Ironically, some of the strongest DRAGON magazine issues were in the 100-120 range, at the end, or just after the end, of the Golden Age.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:45 pm 

FormCritic wrote:

Where could I find Expedition to Castle Greyhawk for that price?

** expired/removed eBay auction **

No idea what the final bid will be, the next lowest is $15 + shipping.

These were going for under $10 several months back, but recently the price has creeped up to around $15 + shipping.

I did see one sell for $5 but the shipping was $14

It is a common mistake , or an easy way to try to undervalue an item, by ignoring the shipping cost. The tactic by sellers on ebay is to offer low prices but heavily pad the shipping costs.  You have to take the cost+shipping to actually value an item in these cases.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:25 pm 

I have shedloads of these if anyone is looking for a copy in the UK.
Have Exped to Undermountain too.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:35 pm 

FormCritic wrote:

Pretty much whatever was current whenever you were 12 :)

(formula works for basically anything that would have a 'golden age': baseball, movies, etc.)

Thanks for the D20 write-up Mark, I agree there's still lots of decent stuff the might turn into long-term collectibles, and at sell-off prices, it's not too tough to put together a collection of good quality material.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:55 pm 

FormCritic wrote:
It is the mid-range items you should pay attention to.  I bought several of the Wilderlands adventure series modules in the $15 range.  I bought Dark Tower for $20 and a second copy for $9.95.  I bought two copies of Caverns of Thracia for around $5.  I bought Inferno, just as it started to take off, at under $20.

Is this the kind of stuff you are talking about?

http://paizo.com/store/games/roleplayin ... ragonlance

I received an e-mail from Paizo which said,

Prices Fit for a Kender!
Dragonlance classics at 50% off!

Jeff has been at it again! After my own success with the It's Good to Be King Clearance Sale, Jeff had to go out and find his own bargains for the store. So when our distributor, Alliance Games, gave Jeff a heads-up that they were closing out all of the Dragonlance 3rd Edition books, Jeff jumped on every copy that Alliance had in stock—so now we're bringing you the last of the 3rd Edition Dragonlance books at 50% off!

We have lots of cool Dragonlance books, from Wizards of the Coast's original Dragonlance Campaign Setting to a whole bunch of the Margaret Weis Productions books, including the classic Bestiary of Krynn—Revised Edition, Dragons of Krynn, and Races of Ansalon. For those of you looking for Dragonlance adventures, you'll want to check out Dragons of Spring, Age of Mortals II—Spectre of Sorrows, and Age of Mortals III—Price of Courag e.

Jeff cleared Alliance out of their stock, but many of these books won't last long—especially at 50% off! So get your orders in today before they disappear, like your pocketbook around a kender!

I have many of the Dragonlance modules, but I'm not that interested in most of this stuff even though some of it looks interesting.

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:33 am 

FormCritic wrote:Where could I find Expedition to Castle Greyhawk for that price?

I think I have 7 copies of them.  There is a UK seller that is dumping all of these books for under $10 each so that market is completely flooded:

But shipping the North America is high (for those that need to do it) - I bought a large stack of stuff from here when he was offering shipping for 1 pound sterling in the UK.

I also ended up buying 2 or 3 copies at Christmas time locally for $2 each (no shipping cost).  From this place:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:09 am 

benjoshua wrote:Is this the kind of stuff you are talking about?

http://paizo.com/store/games/roleplayin ... ragonlance

50% off cover prices still seems high.  Troll and Toad was blowing out a lot of this stuff a while back too although it looks out of stock at the moment:

http://www.trollandtoad.com/p170419.html

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:19 am 

Mars wrote:

Not at all. WotC launched an organized play (sort of) this year with an adventure divided in various chapters, each chapter to be played each week. They produced a complete module, Halaster's Lost Apprentice, for D&D 4.0 along a series of playing aids (full colour character sheets, Monster token and so on) to be used during the weekly gaming sessions. I had one copy to spare and after finishing the program (next week a new Dark Sun Module starts to be used) I checked prices on eBay and... WOW  8O

This was my own listing. It lasted two days!

http://cgi.ebay.com/D-D-Encounters-Hala ... 563d07c559

PS: I have a copy of the Dark Sun module to spare too, but I will NOT sel it until the program is finished.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:30 am 

Alexander1968 wrote:

Not at all. WotC launched an organized play (sort of) this year with an adventure divided in various chapters, each chapter to be played each week. They produced a complete module, Halaster's Lost Apprentice, for D&D 4.0 along a series of playing aids (full colour character sheets, Monster token and so on) to be used during the weekly gaming sessions. I had one copy to spare and after finishing the program (next week a new Dark Sun Module starts to be used) I checked prices on eBay and... WOW  8O

This was my own listing. It lasted two days!

PS: I have a copy of the Dark Sun module to spare too, but I will NOT sel it until the program is finished.

I'll go out on a limb here and crown myself one of the resident 4th Edition experts. :) Actually, Alexander, they released the organized play (called Delve Night) in 2008 (Oct to be exact). They released a total of 9 adventures in this first wave of organized play. They are 4 sheets of double sided sturdy heavy cardstock, with a total of 4 encounters contained therein. I personally have 4 of the 9 encounter sets, and have been looking for them for quite some time on eBay. The NEW wave of organized play is called D&D Encounters, and yes indeed, Dark Sun begins this Wednesday! I run it at a local store, so I get the copies of the adventures when we're finished. :)

As an aside, I am extremely interested in getting the remaining Delve Night adventures I need. I actually have extras of some of the modules I can trade to help people finish their runs as well. Just fire me a PM and I am sure we can work something out.

I'll just fade into the background here until further 4E expertise is required. ;)

Zenfinite

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:44 pm 

benjoshua wrote:
I have many of the Dragonlance modules, but I'm not that interested in most of this stuff even though some of it looks interesting.

My own quote about the "mid-range" items pertained to the prices from five years ago specifically for Judges Guild items.

I was thinking, for instance, about The Fantastic Wilderlands Beyond that sat around in Fencert's store for a year at $14.99...in shrinkwrap...with no takers.  He had multiple copies that just sat there.  The same was true for Caverns of Thracia...multiple copies that were not being snapped up.

A brand new Caverns of Thracia goes for how much today?  The Fantastic Wilderlands Beyond in shrinkwrap would fetch...what?

A large number of the $3 Judges Guild items appeared on Ebay repeatedly as re-listings when there were no bidders.  Those items are much much less common right now.

Those Dragonlance materials on Paizo strike me as over-priced at 50% off.  

But...then again...I am biased against Dragonlance in general.  I always considered it to be an inferior setting.  It always seemed to me to be more suited for a Saturday morning cartoon.

A $14 purchase would be a large one for me.  I would be lurking these items until Paizo gets serious and lists them for between $2 and $5.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:17 pm 

FormCritic wrote:
I would date the Golden Age all the way up to 1980, 1982 or even as high as 1985.

One possible dividing line in AD&D would be the shift from monochrome to four color module covers...but there are a few classics that fall into the four color era.

For me, the Golden Age ended when 2nd Edition was announced...right around late 1985.

You could also date it from the official ouster of Gary Gygax...the day he was locked out of his office.

Also, I don't think the Silver Age extended all the way to 2000.  There as an intermediate period in the 90's where 2nd Edition D&D was basically treading water and starting to sink.  Read the DRAGON magazines from the late 90's, just before the sale of TSR to Wizards of the Coast.  You'll see the quality difference...generally listless nature of the publication.

Ironically, some of the strongest DRAGON magazine issues were in the 100-120 range, at the end, or just after the end, of the Golden Age.

I've liked the categorization of D&D collectables along Edition changes so far. The challenge for me is to attach an exact date for each change.

But there's good reason to categorize along company changes as well, since style and content vary with the company. More specificly, begin each era with the first publication under the new company in each case. I'm wondering:
1. What was the copyright date of TSR's first publication?
2. What was the copyright date of WotC's first publication?

Or back to the first approach--to categorize on the Editions' first publication dates:
1. What was the copyright date of TSR/Gygax's first 1st Edition publication?
2. What was the copyright date of TSR's first 2nd Edition publication?
3. What was the copyright date of WotC's first 3rd Edition publication?

Or a third option--to categorize based on specific publications that best represented or signalled a change between eras.

Because I was 14 when I started D&D gaming, I relate easily to publications from the late golden/early silver ages (1980-1990).

I'm unclear about what these dates are, otherwise I'd be clear(er) on establishing firmer delineations.
I think what's required is to establish two or three dates here--by consensus--and then the eras can be attached.
I believe D&D has joined the likes of other cultural collectables, so I thought I'd put forward these suggestions and questions to see how Acaeum members think about the eras.
Gary

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:11 pm 

One issue would be to establish exactly when AD&D began.

Oddly, the first AD&D hardback was the Monster Manual, followed by the Player's Handbook and at some distance by the Dungeon Master's Guide.

Don't ask me why the Monster Manual was first.  No idea here.

Does AD&D begin with the publication of the first book?  With the publication of all three books?  With the publication of the most useful book (the Player's Handbook)?  Or, does it begin when Gary Gygax first announced the need for a new, definitive version of D&D?

To my mind, 2nd Edition begins when it was announced in 1985...a year chosen because that is the year I remember it first, rather than based on research.

Also, classification does not have to be by metals (Gold, Silver, Bronze, Giglo Carbonite).

I might classify them as:

1)  The Brown Age...also known as the Booklet Age, or the Box Age.
2)  The Trampier Age...possibly also known as the Green Age.
3)  The Orange Age...Age of the Dragonlance.
4)  The Second Coming...Age of the Four Boxes...Basic D&Do-It-Over.
5)  The Silly Hat Age...Barbie Magic Kingdom Age...Age of The Splatbooks.
6)  The Shallows of POG.
7)  The Third Age...Age of the Floppers...The Age of WOTC.
8 )  The New Coke Doldrums...Age of Gleemax...Age of Super Mario...Age of Warcraft.

Whether or not you know the metaphors tells us if you lived through that time...or have at least collected it.

I believe I have been reading too much Umberto Eco.... :x

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:11 am 

Zenfinite wrote:I'll go out on a limb here and crown myself one of the resident 4th Edition experts. :) Actually, Alexander, they released the organized play (called Delve Night) in 2008

Well, I'm not a 4th edtion expert, but I beg to differ. D&D Encounters is not Dungeon Delve: they are both OP programs for D&D, but diffrent ones and I was talking about D&D Encounters only (I own and manage a store so I'm pretty well informed, enough to poke the Italian distributors and asking them info before they release news to their custromers  8) ).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:44 am 

Alexander1968 wrote:
Well, I'm not a 4th edtion expert, but I beg to differ. D&D Encounters is not Dungeon Delve: they are both OP programs for D&D, but diffrent ones and I was talking about D&D Encounters only (I own and manage a store so I'm pretty well informed, enough to poke the Italian distributors and asking them info before they release news to their custromers  8) ).

I know they are not exactly the same, but, they both served the same purpose; that of organized D&D play in shops to boost the product name. I knew what you were talking about, I just wanted to point out the existence of Dungeon Delve and its rarity as well. I think they took a big step forward with the Encounters; the quality of the module and such is extremely high, and it was a blast playing it. And hey, if you can get any of the older Delve Night stuff, let me know, I'm still looking to complete my run. ;)

Zenfinite

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:23 pm 

Zenfinite wrote:And hey, if you can get any of the older Delve Night stuff, let me know, I'm still looking to complete my run. ;)

Is there a listing of what these items are?  I had been picking up the Game Day modules and product release modules, etc over the last few years but never kept up to date.

From what I gather, there are currently only "2 D&D Encounters" modules out there?

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 38 of 54123 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 525354