D20 Collecting
Author

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:08 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:I so don't see a problem here. Boobies are awesome.

who mentioned boobies??? I missed that....  8)

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:19 pm 

It was that degenerate 3e collector Shipley ... see previous page.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:25 pm 

Invincible Overlord wrote:You don't think that the Swords and Sorcery d20 line was successful (or at least successful early on...) ?

Just my opinion here: successful (especially early on), but I'm not certain I'd say "successfully surfed". I'd use that as a way of implying that the company came out of the d20 boom (and its aftermath) in a condition to keep going. (Though I obviously don't know how FormCritic was using it.)

Now, admittedly Sword & Sorcery Studios was a White Wolf imprint, so it's going to be difficult to gauge how they did (or rather would have done had they been a standalone company).  On the other hand, does anything get released by that imprint anymore?  (I'd say no, as the website is dead and the White Wolf one no longer even lists them anywhere.)

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:43 pm 

Based on some of the recommendations in this thread, today I acquired a SW copy each of Rappun Athuk Reloaded and DCC #35, plus a (non-SW) The Drow Book 1 (signed by the author), for £ 92.50 (about $147). Good deal?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:58 pm 

ericthecleric wrote:Based on some of the recommendations in this thread, today I acquired a SW copy each of Rappun Athuk Reloaded and DCC #35, plus a (non-SW) The Drow Book 1 (signed by the author), for £ 92.50 (about $147). Good deal?

Considering I paid $137 for Rappan Athuk Reloaded recently....yeah I think you got a pretty darn good deal there.  :thumleft:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:43 pm 

Yes. You did quite well actually.
As Kop stated, Rappan Athuk Reloaded has never been sold cheap, and there are several folks who have paid around $150 for a Shrink Wrapped DCC 35.
Dont know what the Drow book is worth; although the authors signature does not always mean more value.
Does not matter though....  the other two alone are worth far more than what you paid.
Very nice purchases there...

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:37 pm 

Cool. Thanks, guys!  :D

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:22 pm 

g026r wrote:Just my opinion here: successful (especially early on), but I'm not certain I'd say "successfully surfed". I'd use that as a way of implying that the company came out of the d20 boom (and its aftermath) in a condition to keep going.

You're correct.  I mean that they still exist and seem likely to continue.

I did leave out Mongoose.  Make that six that survived.  8)

One could also make a case for Expeditious Retreat Press....and there are probably others in that general market tier, such as RPG Objects.

Necromancer is not assured of survival.  They have not published recently and it is not certain they ever will.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:24 pm 

ericthecleric wrote:Based on some of the recommendations in this thread, today I acquired a SW copy each of Rappun Athuk Reloaded and DCC #35, plus a (non-SW) The Drow Book 1 (signed by the author), for £ 92.50 (about $147). Good deal?

Yeah, you done good.  8O

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:21 pm 

FormCritic wrote:Necromancer is not assured of survival.  They have not published recently and it is not certain they ever will.

I think Necro partnered with Kenzer & Co near the end of the D20 era but I'm not sure if they have released anything or if this was a nice way of saying they merged or were bought out.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:30 pm 

Mars wrote:... Kenzer & Co ...

Speaking of not setting the world on fire lately ...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:33 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:Speaking of not setting the world on fire lately ...

Didn't a new version of Hackmaster just come out?  The Hackmaster Basic Set?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:56 pm 

Mars wrote:
I think Necro partnered with Kenzer & Co near the end of the D20 era but I'm not sure if they have released anything or if this was a nice way of saying they merged or were bought out.

K1 A Family Affair
K2 Diamond Fortress
K3 The Doom of Listonshire
K4 Coils of Set
K5 Six Spheres of Zailhhessh
K6 Shades of Gray
K7 The Tower of Jhedophar
The Mother of All Treasure Tables
K9 Elemental Moon

They have also partnered with Troll Lords all while with White Wolf.
Now with Paizo they are not partnered with anyone else, but also don't plan on releasing anything until the PathfinderRPG is released (and then I don't think they have anything in production.) Course things like Slumbering Tsar and another I can't remember the name of written by freelancers for Necromancer probably just need tweaking to the new rules.  Even if that was done in August it would be 6 months till an actual product hit the shelves.

(edited to include the unnumbered The Mother of All Treasure Tables)

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:58 pm 

Plaag wrote:
K1 A Family Affair
K2 Diamond Fortress
K3 The Doom of Listonshire
K4 Coils of Set
K5 Six Spheres of Zailhhessh
K6 Shades of Gray
K7 The Tower of Jhedophar
K9 Elemental Moon

They have also partnered with Troll Lords all while with White Wolf.
Now with Paizo they are not partnered with anyone else, but also don't plan on releasing anything until the PathfinderRPG is released (and then I don't think they have anything in production.) Course things like Slumbering Tsar and another I can't remember the name of written by freelancers for Necromancer probably just need tweaking to the new rules.  Even if that was done in August it would be 6 months till an actual product hit the shelves.

ShaneG.

Thats that auction lot being liqauidated. What was K8 ?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:03 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:
Thats that auction lot being liqauidated. What was K8 ?

Never had an official K8, but it would be The Mother of All Treasure Tables which was the 8th product released from that partnership and I forgot to include in the above list.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:13 pm 

g026r wrote:
I'd say that there are (at least) 6 that successfully surfed the d20 phenomenon, with Mongoose Publishing being the one you left out.

Could you also add AEG?  They published a lot of d20 stuff.  I haven't read any of it, so it might be crap.  Frankly, I don't know that much about them and don't really care. Or do they not meet some other criteria:?

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:03 am 

benjoshua wrote:
Could you also add AEG?  They published a lot of d20 stuff.  I haven't read any of it, so it might be crap.  Frankly, I don't know that much about them and don't really care. Or do they not meet some other criteria:?

I think you could add AEG.  Forgot them as well.

AEG has done some good stuff.

Thing is, with AEG, they seem to be headed off into a direction leading away from D&D.  They did release The Ultimate Tool Box in the past year, but I really think that is their last D&D product.

I tend to divide companies sharply between those publishing  D&D and those drifting off into what I think of as "failed RPGs," which includes every other game aside from the direct D&D clones, including those that have not yet failed but will.   :wink:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:38 am 

Ultimate Toolbox is already system neutral.

PreviousNext