D20 Collecting
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:54 pm 

Anyone picking up DA Blackmoor's Temple of the Frog?

https://rpg.zeitgeistgames.com/xcart/home.php

(Though, honestly, I'm not sure if it is out yet. Dustin says they are mailing out copies, but the book remains "presale only" on their store page.)

Zeitgeist is also supposed to have City of the Gods coming out in November. It will be interesting to see how close either of these mirror the originals.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:21 pm 

goatboy wrote:Anyone picking up DA Blackmoor's Temple of the Frog?

https://rpg.zeitgeistgames.com/xcart/home.php

Yeah man ...when it hits retail I intend to buy it if only for the fact that it is connected (even tenuously) to the original temple of the frog.  Hopefully it will actually be a good donjon.  :)

I bought Dungeons of Castle Blackmoor, although I have not had time to use it or read it thoroughly as yet.  But first impressions it was just ok, nothing spectacular.

Cheers!

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:49 pm 

islestrike wrote:
I bought Dungeons of Castle Blackmoor, although I have not had time to use it or read it thoroughly as yet.  But first impressions it was just ok, nothing spectacular.

Cheers!

Don't expect this being anything better then okay when you do read it.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:04 pm 

I will probably wait until these pop into the "tired of being on the shelf bin".  I'm in no rush to pay full price for d20 stuff.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:37 pm 

"There is a POD of the second, Castle Shadowcrag. Small run, limited to the patrons of CS and EofG. If it actually *wins* the ENnie award it has been nominated for, I may attempt a larger printing. But that's something that I'll talk about with the project's sponsors if that unlikely event should come to pass."

Okay, I just joined as a member for the "Empire of the Ghouls", but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to pick up the POD for Castle Shadowcrag.   Help?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:07 pm 

Guido-the-Gypsy wrote:"There is a POD of the second, Castle Shadowcrag. Small run, limited to the patrons of CS and EofG. If it actually *wins* the ENnie award it has been nominated for, I may attempt a larger printing. But that's something that I'll talk about with the project's sponsors if that unlikely event should come to pass."

Okay, I just joined as a member for the "Empire of the Ghouls", but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to pick up the POD for Castle Shadowcrag.   Help?

You could send an email personally to Wolfgang and ask him...I think if you send an email back to your confirmation email address, he should see it...

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:40 am 

Plaag wrote:
Don't expect this being anything better then okay when you do read it.

ShaneG.

Actually I read the beginning of it yesterday and looked more closely at the 20 levels.  It actually looks to be quite a good donjon afterall.  The thing I found interesting is the whole concept of linking the historical timeline to successively deeper levels of the dungeon.  It's kind of archeological in finding deeper more mysterious things from the past the further you go, until you hit some antedeluvian age on the 18th-20th levels.  At least that is what is implied.  I looked at levels 18-20 which were pretty good.

The productions values aren't too shabby either.  I noticed art from Steven Poag, Brad McDevitt, and the maps by Jeremy Simmons, the same dudes that work on the DCC line.  I'll read it some more tonight to see how it holds but I'd be interested to know why you think it is just an ok donjon.  How does it compare to what is in the First Fantasy Campaign?  Is that any better?

Cheers!

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:19 pm 

islestrike wrote:
Actually I read the beginning of it yesterday and looked more closely at the 20 levels.  It actually looks to be quite a good donjon afterall.  The thing I found interesting is the whole concept of linking the historical timeline to successively deeper levels of the dungeon.  It's kind of archeological in finding deeper more mysterious things from the past the further you go, until you hit some antedeluvian age on the 18th-20th levels.  At least that is what is implied.  I looked at levels 18-20 which were pretty good.

The productions values aren't too shabby either.  I noticed art from Steven Poag, Brad McDevitt, and the maps by Jeremy Simmons, the same dudes that work on the DCC line.  I'll read it some more tonight to see how it holds but I'd be interested to know why you think it is just an ok donjon.  How does it compare to what is in the First Fantasy Campaign?  Is that any better?

Cheers!

The FFC Blackmoor Dungeon is not as detailed of course (was how most things were back then) and had a little bit more dungeon shown (tunnels, etc so nothing major.)

No my complaint with this d20 Blackmoor Dungeon is the maps early on (inconsistencies regarding text and whats shown for the first couple of levels.) and the drumming down of the levels of dungeon = level of creatures. Once it goes into the expanded version (dungeon levels beyond what was in the FFC) it seems to me to become more thrown together and breaks away from the original maps visually and feel of the dungeon.

Of the new stuff added, I liked Level 12 and the action that takes part there. Everything about the production values like you said is good (save for the map problems I've mentioned above). Guess I had expectations for this book and they were not met.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:10 pm 

First Fantasy Campaign is useful mainly as a period piece...a glimpse into the mind of one of the game's creators and a snapshot of industry standards at a certain time.  It is also a nice look back at a time when the rules were still developing and free form was OK.

I haven't been able to afford any of the later Blackmoor material.  I think the name association keeps it valuable.  It's on my list.... :x

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:49 am 

Guido-the-Gypsy wrote:Okay, I just joined as a member for the "Empire of the Ghouls", but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to pick up the POD for Castle Shadowcrag.   Help?

It's hidden on the private site; once your account has access you'll be able to see the post about it. If you have any trouble with the site access, let me know.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:46 pm 

Wolfgang:

Do you have a deadline in mind for sponsoring Empire of the Ghouls?

I can't do it at the moment, but maybe in the near future.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:01 pm 

FormCritic wrote:Wolfgang:Do you have a deadline in mind for sponsoring Empire of the Ghouls?

Well, the closer the project is to completion, the less of the input and discussion value people get out of it. I don't want anyone to feel ripped off because they joined once it going to editing and layout, and the discussions all end.

So I'll probably close Empire and launch the next one sometime in August.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:29 pm 

Wolfgang´s Kobold Quarterly magazine has finally launched. It´s a 4 issue per year d20 magazine that is available as a pdf and paper version. PDF costs $ 16 per year, or $ 6 for a single issue. Available on Wolfgang´s site or on paizo. I just got my first issue of this new magazine and it´s great. If you were a subscriber to Dragon or Dungeon magazine and are now looking for a replacement check out Wolfgang Baur´s Kobold Quarterly.

Here´s a link to a thread on ENworld discussing the contents.

And here is the TOC for issue #1:

Ecology of the Derro
by Wolfgang Baur
The laughing little dwarves are not your friends.

Underdark Monster Table
Princes of Hell
Titivillus, the Scribe of Hell
by Wolfgang Baur
More evil is wrought with the pen than with the sword.

Dungeon Design
It's Not (Always) the Gold
by Wolfgang Baur

Kobold Diplomacy
An Interview with Erik Mona
A few words from the Paizo archmage.

Here´s the preview for issue 2:
Coming Next Issue

Belphegor, Baron of Hell
by Tim Hitchcock
The arch-devil of laziness and invention offers up his secrets.

Ecology of the Barghest
by Nicolas Logue
Is it a goblin or is it a worg? It's both and it's hungry.

Create Better Characters
by Sigfried Trent
How to set up your PC to be the life of the party, and other character-generation tips and tricks.

Clockwork Magic
What makes Zobeck tick? We reveal a few finely-wrought details of this rare form of magic.

Plus quite likely articles by Ed Greenwood and Keith Baker - if only they don´t escape from our the mines! Seriously, if we knew which big-name submissions would arrive at our ore smelter for the Fall issue, we´d tell you. But it´s a mystery.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:39 pm 

Badmike wrote:
One of the patrons for Baur's first project....he posted this in a blog explaining why he voted against past projects ever becoming available to the public.  To be fair to Baur, I found a later posting where he disagreed with the thoughts presented here, but honoring his "patrons" wishes, he went ahead and said he would abide by the sentiment.  So instead of Baur, I guess I should have instead been angry at the patrons that would deny me getting a look at the already published stuff.... :oops:

[...]

I don't enjoy being shutout of self publishing efforts I had no idea were even being offered.  I feel sorry for the guy in, say, two years who just discovers Open Design and is REALLY pissed he's not going to be able to ever see any of the last three years worth of goodies.... :cry:

Mike B .

Hi Mike,

I think this is the case for the first project only. I believe the others will stay available to the public after completion.

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:50 pm 

frankfromgermany wrote:Wolfgang´s Kobold Quarterly magazine has finally launched.

Thanks, Frank! To avoid disappointing anyone who wants the paper version, I'll just say that the number of paper copies remaining has shrunk very quickly.

They aren't gone yet, but.... It won't be that long. I'm keeping the current stock to provide to new subscribers; if I had to guess, I'd say there won't be back-issue sales because I underprinted. :(

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:15 am 

Not that there was any question, but I wanted to post my experience after I signed up as a patron with Wolfgang.    I, due to my technical inabilities, was unable to find the link to purchase the Castle Shadowcrag module after signing up.   Woflgang personally responded to my inquiry and patiently helped me over a period of 4 days.   When all was said and done, there was a tech glitch that resolved itself.  

I wanted to publicly thank Wolfgang and encourage anyone who was on the fence to serious consider joining Wolfgang's patronage program.   I have been very impress thus far and look forward to being part of this project.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:29 pm 

Guido-the-Gypsy wrote:Not that there was any question, but I wanted to post my experience after I signed up as a patron with Wolfgang.    I, due to my technical inabilities, was unable to find the link to purchase the Castle Shadowcrag module after signing up.   Woflgang personally responded to my inquiry and patiently helped me over a period of 4 days.   When all was said and done, there was a tech glitch that resolved itself.  

I wanted to publicly thank Wolfgang and encourage anyone who was on the fence to serious consider joining Wolfgang's patronage program.   I have been very impress thus far and look forward to being part of this project.

Ditto. I dont' even play 3rd Ed, but I find the construction process of the work (Empire of the Ghouls) quite fascinating.  Makes me think of all the adventures I just threw together on the fly, not really thinking about this monster or treasure, interesting to watch a professional put the adventure together piece by piece.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:10 am 

WolfgangBaur wrote:
Thanks, Frank! To avoid disappointing anyone who wants the paper version, I'll just say that the number of paper copies remaining has shrunk very quickly.

They aren't gone yet, but.... It won't be that long. I'm keeping the current stock to provide to new subscribers; if I had to guess, I'd say there won't be back-issue sales because I underprinted. :(

Well I'll buy a copy and prob sub as well... so set one aside for me!!  I sent you a PM

Thanks

Brette:)

PreviousNext