D20 Collecting
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:07 am 

I figured that this non-TSR forum needs a strand for the non-TSR publishers who have benefitted from the D20 OGL rules.

This is not a "Flame the D20" strand.  Do that elsewere.

To start, I think there are currently a few D20 publishers worthy of collecting:

Green Ronin

Malhavoc Press

Goodman Games

Necromancer Games

Troll Lord Games

Yes, TLG has gone over to their Castle and Crusade game line, but they still still sell their own and other companies' D20 products.

What other companies should be added to the list?

What D20 modules or adventures have you tried that stand out above the rest?

What cool D20 purchases have you made recently?

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:57 am 

Well I've got stuff from all of those companies. You could add Kenzer to the list as well as Eostros and Adventure Games Publications for future companies.

Modules:
Last great module I read was Shades of Gray (Kenzer/Necro release)

Liked WotC Expidition to Ravenloft (Course many things bugged me about this, I look at it as not setting canon)

Other:
I just recently got Glorantha for Xmas - though haven't read it yet (and it contains no d20 stats/etc is just fluff) Lankhmar is next on my list :)

Course if you have to pick up on d20 book this year, or next, etc..Bardsgate (Necromancer Games) is a must! :wink:

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:59 am 

Pied Piper Publishing

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:55 am 

Companies:

Mongoose Publishing puts out different splatbooks.  Their Slayers Guides, Encyclopaedia Arcane/Divine, and miscellaneous books can be worth reading.  Collecting . . . well, they do have frickin' ton of books, and some of them are bound to be rarer than others.

Should smaller, no-name companies be added to your list, or was the d20 explosion too similar to the black-and-white comics glut that made comics worthless in the 80s/90s?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:58 am 

I recently went nuts and collected all of the Freeport books by Green Ronin.

I like the way that they set up a pirate city to fit any game world, and the quality of the writing is good.  It is a nice mix of the fantasy and horror genres.

Now, of course, there is another Freeport module out...Crisis in Freeport.  Gotta go get it.

Has anyone bought or read Ptolus?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:42 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:I recently went nuts and collected all of the Freeport books by Green Ronin.

I like the way that they set up a pirate city to fit any game world, and the quality of the writing is good.  It is a nice mix of the fantasy and horror genres.

Now, of course, there is another Freeport module out...Crisis in Freeport.  Gotta go get it.

Has anyone bought or read Ptolus?

Here's and obscure module, but one worth hunting down: The Gryphon's Legacy by Gaslight Press was flat-out one of the best low level adventures I've read for any system....Wolfgang Baur wrote it, and it has a lot of 1st edition feel   Having said this, I guess they went out of business fairly quickly because this is the only item I've ever seen by the company.  Unfortunate, because I think they would have had some high quality material based on just this adventure and the theme of their campaign world.
  Enjoy reading the Freeport stuff also.

Necromancer and Kenzer are two companies whose products consistently meet a certain standard.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:02 pm 

Badmike wrote:
Here's and obscure module, but one worth hunting down: The Gryphon's Legacy by Gaslight Press was flat-out one of the best low level adventures I've read for any system....Wolfgang Baur wrote it, and it has a lot of 1st edition feel   Having said this, I guess they went out of business fairly quickly because this is the only item I've ever seen by the company.  Unfortunate, because I think they would have had some high quality material based on just this adventure and the theme of their campaign world.
  Enjoy reading the Freeport stuff also.

Necromancer and Kenzer are two companies whose products consistently meet a certain standard.

Mike B.

Wasn't hard to track down, and only $5.50 w s/h, but I'll take your word on it being good.

I should also add he helped write Five Fingers: Port of Deceit from Privateer Press. A company that does outstanding writing and art in their books (I get any and everything they put out) Course its a bit more steam powered/fantasy then high fantasy/sword and sorcery.

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:30 pm 

Troll Lord Games has not responded to an email I sent them several weeks ago.  I wonder if they are hibernating the business until after New Years....?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:08 pm 

Plaag wrote:
Wasn't hard to track down, and only $5.50 w s/h, but I'll take your word on it being good.

I should also add he helped write Five Fingers: Port of Deceit from Privateer Press. A company that does outstanding writing and art in their books (I get any and everything they put out) Course its a bit more steam powered/fantasy then high fantasy/sword and sorcery.

ShaneG.

I will second that Gryphon's Legacy is good, and I wish they had released the planned sequels. It got lost in the glut of d20 modules that came out soon after 3E.

Privateer Press is the best thing that came out of 3E/d20 in my opinion, or at least the best that I like which has also been the most commercially successful. I don't just like Iron Kingdoms, PP sucked me into painting two miniature armies for two miniature games the company has produced.

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:28 am 

[quote="MShipley88"]I recently went nuts and collected all of the Freeport books by Green Ronin.

Now, of course, there is another Freeport module out...[i]Crisis in Freeport.[/i]  Gotta go get it.

Has anyone bought or read Ptolus?[/quote]

I've got Ptolus, and its awesome. The complete city in breadth, depth, and
quality. Three different campaigns to play within the city from levels 1-20 -
and THE book to start a new campaign with!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:19 am 

Has anyone collected The World's Largest City from AEG yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:21 am 

Black Sails Over Freeport just arrived in the mail today...lightning fast shipping from Titan Games, and only $2.99 for this enormous book.

I can't believe that this adventure book was available so cheap.  It is crammed with good stuff.  Maybe I'll write a review.

Mark

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:07 am 

MShipley88 wrote:Troll Lord Games has not responded to an email I sent them several weeks ago.  I wonder if they are hibernating the business until after New Years....?

Ya might want to re-send... the Trolls are notorious for not answering e-mail. Considering the three of them are doing the work of fifty-two, I'm not surprised...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:12 pm 

I tried again ast night.  Stephen Chenault responded within minutes of my email.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:53 pm 

Plaag wrote:

ShaneG.

Gonna have to take your work on the Five Fingers: Port of Deceit publication, Shane.  Apparently, this is one that came out recently enough that everyone thinks it's worth $25.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:36 pm 

Badmike wrote:
Here's and obscure module, but one worth hunting down: The Gryphon's Legacy by Gaslight Press was flat-out one of the best low level adventures I've read for any system....Wolfgang Baur wrote it, and it has a lot of 1st edition feel.

Mike B.

Just finished reading this, and it is bloody brilliant. Sucks that the other modules/source material never made it to print, but regardless, this has so much potential.

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:47 am 

Just finished going through Dezzavold, Fortress of the Drow, by Green Ronin.  

It is excellent, and came to me from sci-fi-city-online as a bargain...the first real, workable drow setting I have found.

Mark   8)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:34 am 

Plaag wrote:
Just finished reading this, and it is bloody brilliant. Sucks that the other modules/source material never made it to print, but regardless, this has so much potential.

ShaneG.

I've always enjoyed Baur's work, especially his Dungeon magazine stuff (Kingdom of the Ghouls may be the best adventure ever published in that mag, and could have been a helluva box set if someone at TSR had the time or money to pimp it out).  But yeh I did pick up Gryphon's Legacy because of the name, and wasn't disappointed. Such an original setting and premise that I've been trying to think of a way to convert it to my homemade gameworld for a campaign in the far north.
  I've been reading through a bunch of my collected DCC items, nothing has really knocked me on my ass, but all reach a certain level of competence that allows you to purchase any of their products without fear of getting a real dud.  
 I started reading Black Sails over Freeport awhile back but got sidetracked. Is this worth picking up again and reading to the finish?  Looked pretty interesting, and the premise was original. Did you ever finish working through this, Mark?

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Next