Talisman - Games Workshop - Anyone know about this game?
Author

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:31 am 

I have noticed that this Talisman game is starting to attract very high prices in Australia. In fact one basic game set was just put up with a $199 BIN!!!!!

What is this game? Has anyone played it?

Here is an auction for six sets which is attracting a lot of interest (At $199 each that would be just under $1,200  :wink: !)

** expired eBay auction **

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:40 am 

It's a really fun game. Kind of like a monopoly fantasy game. You go around the board with your character and draw cards and fight creatures and collect items. It's pretty basic but I enjoy playing it every so often :D

I think it has an appeal because you can introduce people to "Fantasy" gaming with its simplicity and it plays well for new gamers.

The prices are high because some of the expansions are rare. They also released another limited version of the game recently and it sells pretty good! I was buying them here and putting them directly on Ebay for a substantial profit.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:08 am 

Interesting. I may try to pick up a set at some stage.

I looked on Wikipedia and there is a comprehensive article on the history of the game and the various editions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talisman_%28board_game%29

That auction link I posted seems to be for the Second Edition Game as well as five of the six published expansion sets. Do the expansions add a lot to the game or can one get buy with the original set?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:02 am 

The basic set is enough. If you really like the game then you can get expansions. The basic game gets repetitive after awhile and the expansions help. They also add more difficult encounters.
It's a fun game :) Actually, I'm suprised you hadn't heard of it!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:58 pm 

I've been trying to casually buy/trade for the expansions for a while, but I've never played it.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:04 pm 

Tharizdun wrote:The basic set is enough. If you really like the game then you can get expansions. The basic game gets repetitive after awhile and the expansions help. They also add more difficult encounters.

If you like the basic game, then you will quickly hunger for the expansions.  Even the more mundane expansions are worth the money.

The Second Edition Talisman expansions add the same "more-is-better" feeling that Cosmic Encounter expansions add to CE.  Not all the expansions are must-haves, but they certainly add to the basic game without detracting from it.

(I own the Second Edition Talisman and some expansions, and I have played various versions of Cosmic encounter.)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:29 pm 

I play Talisman all the time.  I play the 3rd edition with 2 of the expansions (dungeons of doom and City).  It is a very good game, entertaining and easy to learn.  Is it worth to buy it for $199.00? probably not, at $100.00 well worth it.

3rd edition is better than the 2nd ed talisman though, the boards and cards are much nicer and the rules streamlined somewhat.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:04 am 

If you see a copy of the Dragons expansion in a charity shop - BUY IT!!
(you could sell a decent condition one with a BIN of £150 in a heartbeat)

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:35 pm 

For the expansions, be sure to read the auction description carefully. Talisman is one of those "everything in one box games" — Back In The Day, a lot of players just tossed everything into the main Talisman box and lost/threw away the expansion boxes.

Expasions with their boxes often sell for much, much more than the same product without the box.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:26 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:For the expansions, be sure to read the auction description carefully. Talisman is one of those "everything in one box games" — Back In The Day, a lot of players just tossed everything into the main Talisman box and lost/threw away the expansion boxes.

The Talisman box that I bought was very heavy.  I opened it, and the presence of extra map boards immediately told me that I had gotten a nice deal.

I'd like to amend my previous post about Talisman expansion sets being worth the money spent on them . . . don't spend an insane amount of money on them.  Talisman is just a board game, and it can start to drag after a couple of hours in a Titan-like manner.  I remember Cosmic Encounter as being a lot more fun and able to be played more than once a night.

That said, I just looked at the auction link . . . if the seller shipped to the US, then I would put in a bid.  IMHO, the current price of AU$83 is more than reasonable for what the pictures and descriptions say is present.  Shoot, AU $83 is probably less than the original retail price of the lot.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:47 pm 

The auction for the 2nd edition set and five of the six expansions ended up selling for AU$321.65  (which is just over US$250).

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:19 am 

Update 03-01-07

The Buyer that won this 6 box auction for $320:

is now re-selling them for $200 each. Almost $900 profit if they succeed.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:06 pm 

Bit of info.... Its going to be re-released in Autumn this year so I believe...

http://www.blackindustries.com/?templat ... alisman-pr

The game itself can be fun but not worth the stupid money it goes for on EBay IMHO

"You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it." Margaret Thatcher

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:05 pm 

Just refound the website for the new Talisman Game...

http://www.blackindustries.com/?template=BI&content=talisman-pr

"You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it." Margaret Thatcher

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:50 am 

I have all the boxes of the entire old school Talisman board game, and all of the original lead miniatures. I wonder how much all that is worth? The boxes are complete but used, and the miniatures painted...excellently. :)

In search of the unknown...

YIM  

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:47 am 

Favonius Cornelius wrote:I have all the boxes of the entire old school Talisman board game, and all of the original lead miniatures. I wonder how much all that is worth? The boxes are complete but used, and the miniatures painted...excellently. :)

It depends on which printing of the game you have.

Had you tried to sell it a couple of years ago before the 4th (re)printing came out, a complete 2nd printing set (with expansions) could have sold for $600 - $1000.

However my 2nd printing set doesn't have mini's, so maybe it's a 1st or 3rd?

They still sell for a good amount (complete/expansions... maybe $300 - $500 now?)

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:58 am 

Favonius Cornelius wrote:I have all the boxes of the entire old school Talisman board game, and all of the original lead miniatures. I wonder how much all that is worth? The boxes are complete but used, and the miniatures painted...excellently. :)

The lead mini's were tough to find at one point and very expensive.  This led to a rash of counterfits being prodiced by some unsavory types, hence unless the mini is in the package (like most collectables) they are of modest value.  Being painted may add value if the paint job is truley excellent but in most cases what gamers consider excellent mini collectors consider otherwise.

Also there are many different editions of Talisman, 1st ed is not the most valuable by a long stretch, 3rd ed is still the best and commands the best prices.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!