What I like about 3rd edition D&D
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:10 pm 

simrion wrote:I've kind of soured on 3.x having played and DM'd it the past few years.  Things I like?  Some of the Feats from OGL sources like "Unarmored Defensive Proficiency" which allows Characters to have a better AC without armor

And this is an example of the things I don't like about 3rd edition.

It seems to me there is no logical reason for a better AC without armor, aside from the standard elements of the rules, such as dexterity and magic.  These are already accounted for in the rules.

Why is one PC harder to hit even though he's not wearing armor?

Fencing ability?  (Hint:  What if your opponent doesn't fence with you?  What if he just whallops you?  You're fencing with that giant...or dragon?  You foiled his attack with your...foil?)

Because dodging works so well?  (Hint:  Why was armor invented?)

"Because my character is...uh...really...good at...uh...not being hit?  I mean, he seriously practices not getting hit!  I mean he practices really hard!"  (Hint:  And other people practice...what?)

Unfortunately, this sort of nonsense rule (designed to sell extra books to players) is a problem with 2nd edition books as well as 3rd edition.

Example:  "Your thief gets a bonus of 5% if he uses this tool to pick locks"

(Hint:  Ummm....what are "thieves picks and tools?"  How is this tool different from those tools?  Are the thieves who don't use this new tool somehow dumber than the other thieves?  OR, does this new tool exist only to motivate thief PC players to buy the book?)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:12 pm 

Gotta admit that it does replicate some of the original pulp/low fantasy of characters like Conan.  You hardly ever see him (in the cover art works) wearing more than just a hide loin cloth for armor.  So how is he just harder to hit?  Bad die rolls, gobs more HPs?  Damn hard to justify in the older rules sets as an 18 Dex... 8O   Don't get me wrong, I am NOT a 3.x defender by any stretch....though the 3.x defenders say it is not "video game like" I beg to differ and have pissed some off due my opinon in that manner...

Politician, Tree, Rope...Some Assembly Required

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:21 pm 

simrion wrote:Gotta admit that it does replicate some of the original pulp/low fantasy of characters like Conan.  You hardly ever see him (in the cover art works) wearing more than just a hide loin cloth for armor.  So how is he just harder to hit?  Bad die rolls, gobs more HPs?  Damn hard to justify in the older rules sets as an 18 Dex... 8O   Don't get me wrong, I am NOT a 3.x defender by any stretch....though the 3.x defenders say it is not "video game like" I beg to differ and have pissed some off due my opinon in that manner...

Yes.  It does replicate the Conan comic books (not the actual stories).

The issue is game balance.  Classes that cannot wear armor for various reasons should have to live with that limitation.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:30 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:Why is one PC harder to hit even though he's not wearing armor?

Displacer beast gene.  Somewhere waaay up in the family tree...  :lol:

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:04 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:Displacer beast gene.  Somewhere waaay up in the family tree...  :lol:

:lol:

Previous