The Ghost of Dragon Tree
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:22 pm 

I have been doing some online research about the Dragon Tree Press publications.

Imagine my surprise when I found the physical address for the company's owner and discovered that she lives (or lived) practically in sight of my house!

Dragon Tree's physical address is right across a spur of Puget Sound from me.  I probably see the lights from their front windows every time I turn down the road to my house.

It was like looking for a ghost...only to turn around and find it hovering right behind me.  Wierd how things turn out sometimes.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:44 am 

For those not aware, as I wasn't until recently, Dragon Tree Press is still around...

http://www.dragontreepress.com/

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
--H.L. Mencken

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:13 am 

Very much alive and kicking.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:17 am 

Are they putting out anything new?

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
--H.L. Mencken

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:41 am 

Quilcene, WA? I've never even heard of that town before.

I have seen their products around from time to time.

~Clangador
---------------

Black Blade Publishing imprint of OSRIC is not only the most definitive printing of OSRIC to date, but also the single greatest resource for old school gamers since the three original hardbacks written by E. Gary Gygax.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:23 am 

great to see them still in opertation - i have some of their items and really like them!

Al

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:59 am 

NetRodent wrote:Are they putting out anything new?

I don't think so.  I think they are mostly selling their old stock...although their site lists a few items as "on backorder," which is a more positive sign than "out of stock" or "sold out."

Quilcene is on the Hood Canal.  Apparently they haven't been living there  long.

Mark   8)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:47 pm 

Their site recently underwent a little bit of change - it was down for a while but is back up now.  I made an order 2 weeks ago to get the rest of the Arduin Grimoires.  I wanted the original Dragon Tree printings rather than the Emperor's Choice ones.

The ones listed on backorder have been that way for at least 3 years now.  I don't think I can see them making another run of these.  There was a dispute a while back about who owns the rights to print the Arduin Grimoires and it was settled that Dragon Tree would not print their own anymore but would sell the Emperor's Choice ones (so they probably aren't reprinting those anymore either).

I've been doing a bit of research on their items too.  I have noticed that a lot of them not only have different printings but also a 1st and 2nd edition.  However, I haven't had a chance to go through and compare them to see what was changed in the different editions (and I don't have both editions for all the books either).  I think I'm becoming a print run junkie.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:30 am 

I saw this out of the corner of my eye on their site: "Mail to our former address in California should still reach us but may be delayed." I gather the move to Washington was in the recent past?

I'm sort of jealous, though — it would be so cool to have a game company spring up suddenly in, say, Carson City. :)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:38 am 

Xaxaxe wrote:I'm sort of jealous, though — it would be so cool to have a game company spring up suddenly in, say, Carson City. :)

The Seattle area has Wizards of the Coast, Cheapass Games, and a whole variety of RPG-related companies.  I'm too many years removed from Seattle to remember them, but quite a few game companies are in that area of the United States.