ral partha 1977 minis id?
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:43 pm 

I am trying to sort out a box of miniatures I have.  Some of the figures have blue bottoms and are stamped Ral Partha 1977.  One has a purple bottom and an "S" with a sort of triangle below it and the copyright symbol with the year 1981.  I also see ones marked Grenadier.  Is there a website with pictures that would help me identify these?  None have been painted.  I do have a few original boxes - Ral Partha 10-401 "Rune Questers" and AD&D Figure Set 2011 Orc's Lair, for example.  But they hold figures by type (skeletons or clerics, say) rather than what the box originally held.  I guess I may have 500 or so all together.  They are really nifty and I want to establish order!  And yes I am a bit OC.  Sigh.  Thanks for any help!

Regards,
lucyjoyce

If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:04 pm 

You might want to go to www.solegends.com - pictures and info of most of the serious miniature ranges
Good Luck!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:30 pm 

Thanks!  It is a good place to start.  Is there anywhere that lists miniatures by the year of manufacture?  The oldest one I've seen so far is Ral Partha from 1974.  The newest is 1984.  Many of mine at least have a year stamped on the bottom.  Some though just have initials scratched in - ASI, KF, HM.  It's kind of mind boggling.  But interesting!

Regards,
lucyjoyce

If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:33 am 

lucyjoyce wrote:Many of mine at least have a year stamped on the bottom.  Some though just have initials scratched in - ASI, KF, HM.  It's kind of mind boggling.  But interesting!

HM is Heritage Miniatures, and they are always in demand.  I'd willingly remove you of their burden.   :wink:

Heritage and Custom Cast miniatures are related; Heritage bought the rights to Custom Cast figures or molds or bought the company or something similar.  Heritage Miniatures and Custom Cast generally have flat, square bases, though some have a raised brick/tile texture.

Minis with Elan Merchandising in a typewritten font are Lord of the Rings miniatures from Heritage.  More unusual minis can get pricey.

Minis with E.R.B. on the base are John Carter, Warlord of Mars, from Heritage; E.R.B. = Edgar Rice Burroughs.  These are more uncommon than normal Heritage minis and may be more valuable than the Lord of the Rings minis.

------

And, as always, beware of recasts.  One eBayer actually owns the original molds and has one of the original sculptors clean them up and make "new" original molds.  He is legit, and his minis look great.  Another eBayer sells primed "white metal" recasts that are not legit; his are not so great.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:19 pm 

Thanks so much for the info about Heritage Miniatures.  Can you tell me why the bottoms of many of them are different colors?  These belonged to the father of a friend of mine - he is ill and gave her all his D&D stuff.  She was giving it away and I suggested we might find a market for it.  But there is so much to learn!  And I have gotten some super answers on this forum.  So, did he put the colors on himself to use in certain scenarios, or did they come in the box that way?  None of them have any paint on the figure themselves, only on the underside of the base.

My favorites so far are these winged creatures made by Grenadier stamped 1984.  They are labeled A25 and A26.  The detail is incredible.  I think I may end up keeping some of these.  Much to my husband's dismay, I am sure!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:35 pm 

lucyjoyce wrote:So, did he put the colors on himself to use in certain scenarios, or did they come in the box that way?  None of them have any paint on the figure themselves, only on the underside of the base.

Heritage minis didn't come pre-painted, so the paint must be a code for his own use of the figures.

I recently read an anecdote about an early manufacturer that sold miniatures paintsets (a box of minis and paints, like the Paint-n-Play boxes from Grenadier).  Instead of using closeable plastic tubs for the paints, the maker decided to use non-reusable plastic film.  A large number of these paintsets were returned from stores after people discovered that the paint had leaked onto the miniatures.
I think I may end up keeping some of these.  Much to my husband's dismay, I am sure!

Just remember to wash your hands after handling them; the minis do contain lead.  And beware of lead rot (do a google search for it) attacking unprotected minis.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:49 pm 

"One has a purple bottom and an "S" with a sort of triangle below it and the copyright symbol with the year 1981."

The S-Triangle marks it as a piece from Superior Models.  The Stuff of Legends has catalog-scans of most of Superior's Wizards & Lizards line, which was produced in 1981.
www.cs.cmu.edu/~tpope/sol/superior/wizards-lizards.html

It was a very nice line of minis: cleanly-sculpted knights and baroque monsters.

Trevor

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:48 pm 

Thanks so much for the info.  Heading back to Stuff of Legends - awesome website, that!

** Banned **

Post Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:04 am 

Just took a look at the website posted above, thanks for the link.

If there is anything anyone is looking for in the Ral Partha line please let me know. Chances are I have it as I came into a huge collection of early era RPG minis, a few thousand or so.