'Old School' Miniatures for AD&D
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:00 pm 

Hey all,

My ears were burning, so I thought I'd check in.  

I've been working on a number of old school styled sculpts here and there, between some other projects.  Unfortunately, time is the one resource I've been very short on.  FWIW, the Gelatinous Cube Grodog linked to was actually my first prototype - and I can't help but wince whenever I see it . . .  Fortunately, my work has improved . . .  

The Egg

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:58 pm 

Hello Egg,

I need to get with you sometime on that little dragon project we discussed on Dragonsfoot a while back.  I've got to figure out how to ship it to you at a reasonable cost and have it remain intact going and returning...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:31 pm 

dbartman wrote:Hello Egg,

I need to get with you sometime on that little dragon project we discussed on Dragonsfoot a while back.  I've got to figure out how to ship it to you at a reasonable cost and have it remain intact going and returning...

That was a repair job, wasn't it?  The postage costs wouldn't be too bad if you weren't in a hurry to get the piece here and back - I'm sure tons of folks here could provide good advice on shipping.  As far as the issue of breakage goes, I could custom pack the fig (with the aid of a styro cutter) in such a way that it shouldn't be a problem.

Drop me a PM if you want to discuss things further, although ou'd be better off contacting me at DF - I don't get here as often.

Best,

The Egg

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:35 pm 

Excellent work on those cubes!

And there are not enough decent driders, for sure. Especially not halfway affordable ones! A DM needs several!

"Surely you don't disbelieve the prophecies just because you had a hand in bringing them about?" J.R.R. Tolkien

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:05 pm 

stumbling tiger wrote:Definitely giants!   They may not be an underrepresented monster, but they're rarely done well.  As different species from homo sapiens, giants should look mythic, or at least fairy-tale.  Most I've seen just look like humans on a bigger scale, and some are just plain terrible.   Tom Meier's 70's work for Ral Partha is IMHO the gold standard:  http://www.sodemons.com/rhrp01gallery/r ... tgiant.jpg
Now that's a frost giant not just some 52mm viking.

The main thing about a giant is...it's giant.  Human-size products will not fit it, so a suitably primitive giant figurine will have shoes, hat, clothing, etc that looks like it was made by a huge, primitive hand.

Second, there should be something on the giant (preferably ten things) to give an idea of scale.  A giant with human-sized weapons in its belt or with a horse strapped to its back or any one of a thousand other props to give the sense of scale.  One good example might be a fur coat which can be seen to have been made from multiple white wolf hides...or something similar...possibly a belt made from inter-twined ship ropes with a human-sized lantern hanging from it...

One other thing about giants is that they should be broad.  A "real" giant would have to be almost as broad as it is tall in order to stand and move without snapping.  A "fantasy" giant need not be a cube with arms, but there should be something about the figure that indicates the massive nature of its bone structure.

I have set of really good ogres by Citadel.  They don't have all of those details, but there is enough about them to indicate their massive size to make them very interesting on the miniature battlefield.  (Also, since they have slotta bases, they do not fall over every time the table is bumped.)

Mark

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:20 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:
One other thing about giants is that they should be broad.  A "real" giant would have to be almost as broad as it is tall in order to stand and move without snapping.  

Hi Mark
That makes good sense, but I have to say one of the things I like most about the Partha frost giant is the way he gets narrower the further up you get: it gives you a foreshortened, worm's eye view effect, as if he were really that tall!
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p85/ ... giants.jpg

As you say, giants' clothing should look like a primitive patchwork of scavenged materials.  What do you think about the way this Grenadier giant dressed himself?
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p85/ ... ntGren.jpg

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:53 pm 

OK, you've convinced me.  Giants it is.  Watch this space in a month or two.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:52 am 

stumbling tiger wrote:
Hi Mark
That makes good sense, but I have to say one of the things I like most about the Partha frost giant is the way he gets narrower the further up you get: it gives you a foreshortened, worm's eye view effect, as if he were really that tall!
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p85/ ... giants.jpg

As you say, giants' clothing should look like a primitive patchwork of scavenged materials.  What do you think about the way this Grenadier giant dressed himself?
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p85/ ... ntGren.jpg

I'd say that the frost giant in the center of the first picture is the best of the three.  The other two are in awkward stances that look likely to fall over.  I'd also like to see them beside a man-sized miniature of the same
line.

The Grenadier giant is detailed.  Is that a shield he has strapped to his chest?  I can't make it out.  How does he compare to a man-sized Grenadier miniature?

I notice that the Grenadier giant is in a stance very reminiscent of one of the illustrations of a giant in the Melnibonean section of the original Dieties and Demi-gods hardback.  The shield in that picture is an artifact with the sign of chaos on it.

I'd like to see a good Fomorian giant.

Mark   8)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:05 pm 

The Hill Giant figure is part-sculpted, and I hope to have some pics of the finished green in a few days.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:48 pm 

OK, as promised, some Giants!

First, the Hill Giant.  He's 52mm to the top of the head.

The Stone Giant, a little taller at 65mm.

The 2 together, then with a Hasslefree Miniatures barmaid for scale.

I hope to be having these cast in resin in the next few weeks, so let me know if you're interested.  I don't have a firm price yet, but I expect them to be around £12 to £15 each (UK).

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:57 pm 

Howdy,

Hooo! You just sold the maximum number appearing to me!

Futures bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:00 pm 

Nice work, otherworld :D  

Unfortunately, at those prices, I'll have to wait awhile for the conversion rate to be less out of my favor, before I'll be able to order these (or the PHB cover idol, too).

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:54 am 

I can see myself buying both of those  :(

Not sure I could ever paint them up to a sufficiently good standard though :cry:

Got the Idol and it is indeed fantastic - thanks for that.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:52 am 

Those Giants are awesome, great work!

Anyway, no one can beat Cougarrinard's Gelatinous Cube...  :lol:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:44 pm 

Oooooooooh --- nice! :D

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:14 am 

Very impressive giants.  I especially like the facial features.  That stone giant looks so real.

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:43 pm 

Beautiful figures, the anatomical subtleties, grotesqueries and details are all nicely balanced to give a suitably "monstrous but natural" look.  Da Vinci would be proud.  Or at least his caricaturist aspect would.  :)

To keep your head from being inflated by the near-perfection, I'll point out that the hill giant's right shoulder is too spherical and tends to distract attention from the phenomenal hands and facial features.   :P

My own recommendation for a line of classic D&D figures, would be to crack open the "blue book" from the earliest basic sets.  Those are the touchstone creatures that everyone knows and loves, that scream Old School.  You could even go back earlier to OD&D and the supplement booklets (if you don't mind getting swarmed with aquatics from Blackmoor), but I honestly believe that the blue book comprises the finest list of true, primal iconics, the ultimate D&D classic baseline if you will.

Here's some monsters that are rarely done justice that I think people would love to see.

•        Bugbear (correctly proportioned)
•        Carrion Crawler
•        Demons (correctly proportioned; Type VI especially, although V probably represents the greatest challenge)
•        Dragon (Monster Manual / Sutherland style)
•        Ghoul (in suitably animated poses, crouching, pouncing, stalking, etc., instead of just a stand-around-zombie thing)
•        Giant Spider
•        Hobgoblins (with the intriguing Japanese armor overtones)
•        Hydra
•        Manticore (some compromise between Sutherland, Trampier from M&T and the S2 orange cover)
•        Ogre
•        Orcs (with swine-like features, but still realistic)
•        Owlbear (I've never been pleased with any; one like the B2 cover, less chubby and more muscular, would be great!)
•        Shadow (something evocative; I like the old Grenadier undead figure that's an animate robe without hands or face, for example)
•        Skeleton (the skulls tend to be exaggerated, the ribcages where all the detail is are rarely done right)
•        Slimes (that look animate and sculpted, as opposed to a cast-off)
•        Troll (Sutherland, again correctly proportioned)
•        Umber Hulk

Just one old gamer's thoughts!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:11 pm 

One of each would look good on the ole shelf!!  :wink:

Eulaliaaa!!!

PreviousNext