'Old School' Miniatures for AD&D
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:50 am 

Hi All,

I'm investigating the possibility of producing a range of miniatures for 'old school' D&Ders.  It would consist of figures for monsters which have been neglected or poorly-represented by the big miniatures companies, particularly the ones from the 1st Ed Monster Manual.

I would be interested to know what you would like to see made.  I'll start you off with my own personal wish-list:

Skeletons (never found any that I really like)
Demons & Devils
Oozes, slimes, jellies, etc.
Wights
Giants

Let me know what you think.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:10 am 

Sounds like a good list . . . except for the Oozes, Slimes and Jellies.  I've always thought that the reason there aren't many of those minis is that no one wants those minis!  Whose was going to spend their hard earned cash on a little lump of lead?  :D

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:20 am 

At this years GenCon I've seen some 'greens' for oozes that looked really cool, also someone has made a Gelationous Cube and has been selling them on Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8788232501

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:02 am 

Interestingly, one of my regular ebay searches is for oozes, slimes, & jellies!  I collect all pre-1985 o,s,&j.  Otyughs too.  I believe I have every otyugh mini ever produced.  8)
So if you were to make that line, I'd be buying some slimes!  :D
As for Demons & Devils, I find Reaper minis makes great ones, near duplicates of 1st edition MM.  Their skeletons & giants are great too, IMHO.

Most of the things on my wish list you wouldn't be able to do without WOTC suing you.  Here is my wish list for miniatures that should be made as exact replilcas of 1st edition MMs:
Umber Hulk
Hooked Horror
Roper
Otyugh (TSR made a great one back in the day, on the green blister cards, but it was way too small)
Drider
Beholder
Grell
Carrion Crawler
fungul monsters (I know Reaper makes some happy-go-lucky ones, I'm looking for the mean nasty ones like Grenadier put out)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:20 am 

Beyondthebreach wrote:Sounds like a good list . . . except for the Oozes, Slimes and Jellies.  I've always thought that the reason there aren't many of those minis is that no one wants those minis!  Whose was going to spend their hard earned cash on a little lump of lead?  :D

Oh, they won't be lead, they'll be semi-transparent coloured resin.  They'll come with a metal flagstone base, and they'll look very cool.  I'll post a pic of my Gelatinous cube prototype soon.

Edit:  OK, here it is......

Image[/img]

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:45 pm 

:o
:D
Fantastic!
That is really great!
What about such Gelatinous Cube on a dwarven forge ground, in order to avoid the support ?
That is very interesting, bravo!

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:44 pm 

Wow, I like that..are they going up for sale.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:56 pm 

I'd say Cube it on a flagstone base. It would lay almost flush with the terrain. No black base. Throw some gold coins inside it, and it would be perfect. I would definitely be interested in one.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:16 pm 

The black plastic base is seperate, and optional.  Yes, I plan to sell these eventually.

Thanks for the suggestions, Gus.  I'll certainly be adding a few of those to my list.

Keep 'em coming everyone!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:21 pm 

Egg of Coot over on Dragonsfoot has a great gelatinous cube interested parties should check out

http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewt ... 1&start=60

and for some other figures see:

http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19769
and
http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19788

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:48 pm 

I know he had a couple more gelatinous cubes in the works the other day when I was over so if anyone is interested in one you could probably email him and see if he'd cast another one at the same time.

He is also doing a flumph:

http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewt ... res+flumph

and a troll but I can't find the link right now.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:19 am 

Those are some great looking cubes, I must have one... nice touch with the skeleton  8) and to think back in the day I used an ice cube.  :?  :D

Q: My MM is out of reach, in the description for the GC does it say they are transparent? or "colored"?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:34 pm 

The cube will be made in clear, transparent resin.  The coloured resin will be used for the grey ooze, green slime, ochre jelly, black pudding etc.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:32 pm 

Definitely giants!   They may not be an underrepresented monster, but they're rarely done well.  As different species from homo sapiens, giants should look mythic, or at least fairy-tale.  Most I've seen just look like humans on a bigger scale, and some are just plain terrible.   Tom Meier's 70's work for Ral Partha is IMHO the gold standard:  http://www.sodemons.com/rhrp01gallery/r ... tgiant.jpg
Now that's a frost giant not just some 52mm viking.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:12 am 

Definitely giants!   They may not be an underrepresented monster, but they're rarely done well.
-hello tiger. yes i agree. have not seen many good giants since the few originals like Meiers.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:55 am 

-hello tiger. yes i agree. have not seen many good giants since the few originals like Meiers.[/quote]

Glad to meet another fan, Rakeesh! Meier's sculpting has an Arthur-Rackhamesque quality that puts you squarely in a fantasy atmosphere.  Unfortunately I don't think he's done any giants since the mid-80s.   Tom Loback's giants for Dragontooth were good too, but not as delicately sculpted.  I'd be curious to hear what plans if any the OP has for giants.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:48 am 

Giants, now there's a good idea!  Would be cool to base them on the MM artwork.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:09 am 

I wanna cube!

hmm.. minis i'd like to see... perhaps vrock before 3rd ed made them purple... I mean ewww... why are they purple!?
and a decent representation of an erynis would be nice... you know.. one that didn't look like a devil she harpy.

and yes! beholders! all the subbreeds too! because observers are so ridiculously cute

Next