Thieves World different prints
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:06 am 

Yeah, it looks like the black ink is later.  For some reason I wouldn't have thought that was the case.

First edition/print seems to be what I now have then - brown box side text, no white oval on box front, no "Second Edition" on box back, contents sheet, two player's guides.

I have never seen a copy with paper covers on the booklets; that might be earlier if someone actually has it.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:17 am 

My black text set has paper covers on the books.  I thought one of my brown text sets had paper covers too (will have to double check tomorrow).  The catalog with the black text set is the 1989 Catalog Update sheet so it looks like the set was in print for a number of years.

I'm not sure if the colour isn't showing up properly in Loki's pictures but my books look a bit different.  Book one is orange and the base colour for the cover is also orange (Loki's looks more reddish to me with white backgound).  Book 2 is green again with all gree background.

PS - yes we see that Blue Camel floating around in the background :)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:25 am 

As stated, I think that paper covers are in the last prints that were published, and only in 2nd ed. boxed set. Anyone has a first ed. with them?

On ThievesWorld website, they picture the 2nd ed with these books
http://www.thievesworld.info/roleplay/rp2.htm
So, last print?

It seems that during the change from 1st to 2nd ed., the contents in the box was set randomly, one or two guides, one or two sets of maps, grey or brown, independantly of print series, but depending on material availability.

I will look to the actual color of the booklets tomorrow and let you know if they are more reddish or more in the orange tone. IIRC, it is "pink". Do you think that it could exist several prints of these booklets too?

PS: everyone has one now ;) the last one sold for less than $30. Do you know how many were made? I tried to find information about this, but didn't get nothing.

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:05 am 

lokiwookie wrote:
It seems that during the change from 1st to 2nd ed., the contents in the box was set randomly, one or two guides, one or two sets of maps, grey or brown, independantly of print series, but depending on material availability.

That's pretty typical for Chaosium of that era.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:18 am 

Mars wrote:2nd Print
* Cover lacks Winner Best Role-Playing Adventure H.G. Wells ...
* The left long side of box has thieves' world in big letters down the side, Chaosium logo and stock number 2007-X at the bottom.
* The right long side of box has thieves' world stepped like the TSR logo in a 2 inch box, and a description
* Maze maps inside have a brownish filler
* Text inside books is also brown
* Cover of Personalities of Sanctuary has a blue/purple picture
* States Second Edition on back top left corner

I have only one copy and the notes posted by Mars above describes my set exactly.
Adding only this:
There is a Mail in card and a single loose sheet listing the box sets contents (See picture below).
All three books have card stock covers and they all have brown text and brown sketches inside.

ImageImage

Image Image

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:46 pm 

lokiwookie wrote:I have both....

Such a maddening hobby :)   I've never collected Sanctuary and so I've missed this fun...

*must update searches*

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:01 am 

davidc wrote:
Such a maddening hobby :)   I've never collected Sanctuary and so I've missed this fun...

Actually, I kept the black text one because the booklets were different from my brown one. Didn't see before few years (that sounds amazing) that the text on box is in black instead of brown  :?

As for my black text 2nd ed. copy (with paper covers), there is a catalog inside, summer 1986. So this box, with paper covers appears to be a "recent" print (3rd, 4th?)

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Previous