Thieves World different prints
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:52 pm 

Mine does not say 2nd edition, has brown letters, and does not have a starburst. All the books are paper, and there are two player's guides.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:02 pm 

TheHistorian wrote:We also need to account for the possibility of Frankensteining over a couple decades.

I generally think this is fairly minimal, especially for smaller press items.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:46 am 

serleran wrote:Mine does not say 2nd edition, has brown letters, and does not have a starburst. All the books are paper, and there are two player's guides.

It would be a good description of the 1st ed.

If anyone has a 1st ed. it would be interesting to see if there is any differences

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:18 pm 

Mars wrote:
I generally think this is fairly minimal, especially for smaller press items.

I wasn't implying anything nefarious my someone here, just that things can get shuffled over 20+ years.  Maybe by a dealer a decade back, that sort of thing.

I agree it's probably less likely, the more obscure the item.  But I think this probably sold pretty well.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:43 pm 

TheHistorian wrote:I wasn't implying anything nefarious my someone here, just that things can get shuffled over 20+ years.  Maybe by a dealer a decade back, that sort of thing.

No, I didn't take it that way either.  Its a good question to raise for this set.  In cases like TSR, if you have a boxed set with components from different printings you should think it was frankenstiened.  But in this case, I think the variations come from how the box sets were put together rather than being frank'd.  I have seen enough copies with mixed components to believe they weren't frank'd or the percent of franks would just be too high.  I am also just guessing that this was how they were put together - I have never asked anyone in authority about it from bitd.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:49 pm 

That makes sense.

This sounds hard.  Let's just give up.   :lol:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:53 pm 

TheHistorian wrote:This sounds hard.  Let's just give up.   :lol:

I did 3 years ago :)

Rereading Loki's post about the paper covered books in the second edition box.  It seems like there is probably overlap with first edition contents in second edition boxes.

If people do have more copies, I would like to hear the combinations of boxes, book colour and map colours out there.  It could be possible to figure out at what point earlier print material did run out (but it could also be a very big pain).

1st Print - exists?
* Paper covers on booklets
* Does not state Second Edition on back top left corner?

Plaag's copy possibly fits here if it has cardstock covers but does not state Second Edition.

* Cover lacks Winner Best Role-Playing Adventure H.G. Wells ...
* The left long side of box has thieves' world in big letters down the side, Chaosium logo and stock number 2007-X at the bottom.
* The right long side of box has thieves' world stepped like the TSR logo in a 2 inch box, and a description
* Maze maps inside have a brownish filler
* Text inside books is also brown
* Cover of Personalities of Sanctuary has a blue/purple picture
* States Second Edition on back top left corner

Loki's copy with purple Personalities, grey map filler.

3rd Print
* Cover has Winner Best Role-Playing Adventure H.G. Wells ...
* The right long side of box has thieves' world in big letters down the side, Chaosium logo and stock number 2007-X at the bottom.
* The left long side of box has thieves' world stepped like the TSR logo in a 2 inch box, and a description
* Maze maps inside have a greyish filler
* Text inside books is dark grey/black
* Cover of Personalities of Sanctuary has a red picture
* States Second Edition on back top left corner

I don't know where to put Loki's paper cover, second edition box with grey map filler though.  Paper covers would suggest 1st edition, second edition box suggests early printing, then grey map filler suggests later printing.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:30 pm 

serleran also posted about having a possible 1st print - his having paper covers.  May have to start a tally with the various boxes being the only constant, then see what percentage have paper covers, brown ink, etc.  Course photos would help this thread as well.

Sucks not having easy access to my stuff :x

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:49 pm 

I'll take some photos since the scanner no longer works with the new computer. I don't know if mine is a 1st print...but, I am sure it is a 1st edition (since it does not say it is a 2nd.)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:57 pm 

I'll take pictures and scans this week end too.

The strange think is that in my copy with paper covers, there is an add with picture of the boxed set with cardstock covers. It seems that it is a non-frank'd box since my brother bought it new in a closed store stock about 20 years ago.

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:16 pm 

OK, here are some pictures of mine:

That starburst on the back does not say it is an award winner... nor are there any mentions of 2nd edition anywhere on the box.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:04 am 

My copy matches Plaag's description.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:43 am 

I'll dig around tomorrow or Sunday, as everyone's asleep atm ;)

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:52 pm 

*BUMP*

Finally got a nice non-second edition copy.

Now I notice in some collection photos that there seem to be two versions of the box - comparing the text on the sides - some seem brown, while some are black (or look blackish in the pics).

My copies are brown.  Can someone who has the black text let me know?  I'd like to compare.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:43 pm 

TheHistorian wrote:*BUMP*

Finally got a nice non-second edition copy.

Now I notice in some collection photos that there seem to be two versions of the box - comparing the text on the sides - some seem brown, while some are black (or look blackish in the pics).

My copies are brown.  Can someone who has the black text let me know?  I'd like to compare.

Okay, I have the two sets in front of me.

Black copy.

Cover illustrattion is lighter (actually looks better without so much murk)
Upper left corner under white line of boxed title is an egg shapped white blurb saying -

Winner
Best Role-Playing
Adventure
H.G. Wells Award
Strategist Club
Award
Game Designers'
Guild Select
Award

Ink around outer edge of top cover is black

Bottom cover all ibk is black except for illustration on bottom which is light blue and black.

Title on bottom cover says second edition

Bottom strip of boxed text has been changed (under chaosium logo and role-playing at the summit text

Now reads

Based on Thieves' World and Tales from the Vulgar Uniciorn and right corner has a bar code, a price and an isbn 0-933635-01-x

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:45 pm 

TheHistorian wrote:My copies are brown.  Can someone who has the black text let me know?  I'd like to compare.

I've got a black text one.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:15 pm 

I have both. No difference in outer box, except the text color. However, inside books are different (cover arts, and glossy paper in the brown text box against standard paper in the black text one)

Here is some pics

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:34 pm 

lokiwookie wrote:I have both. No difference in outer box, except the text color. However, inside books are different (cover arts, and glossy paper in the brown text box against standard paper in the black text one)

Here is some pics
]

Well, from those pictures my black ink copy is at least a 4th print. Interior booklet covers are completely different as well.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

PreviousNext