Interesting Non-TSR Items Formerly on eBay
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 26 of 113123 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 111112113
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:41 pm 

PM-Knight wrote:SOLUTION: Since Gandalf could enlist the aid of the Eagles (Gwaihir), why not just fly the ring to Mordor, maybe battle the Nazgul, and then drop the frick'n ring into Mount Doom . . . Game Over :wink:

Gandalf could not simply enlist the aid of the Great Eagles willy-nilly; the great eagles were the direct servants of Manwe (moreso that Gandalf in this regard), and as such, had to remain neutral in the conflict. In the books, the Great Eagles did not participate in the battle before the Black Gate; that was an addition in the movie. The Nazgul fled even as the Great Eagles arrived, as they received the command from Sauron to return to Mount Doom and seize the ring before all was lost. But it was already too late... for Manwe had sent the Great Eagles not to fight, but to witness, and (in his heart of hearts) to give hope, as did his servant, Olorin (aka, Gandalf). Once Sauron was dead, the Great Eagles were free to act to save Sam and Frodo...

But carrying the Ring or the Ringbearer into Mordor was more than they would be allowed to do.

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:24 pm 

FormCritic wrote:

The text makes it clear that Tom Bombadil had no interest in the ring and was not a reliable ringbearer...also the writer was being cute by incorporating a character based upon a stuffed doll that did not fit with all the other characters in the setting.    

Mark

hmm...  2 hobbits, and a chaotic evil former hobbit or taking a chance that Bombadil might give the thing to a pixie on a whim.  I would have had Gandalf, Elrond, Aragorn maybe Radaghast impress on bombadil that this was kinda important and rolled the dice.  Figure the odds would have been better than the twentysix 01/100 rolls the hobbits made.

why not just have him swallow it?  Hide it in a piece of cheese or something. :D

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:19 am 

Well...yes...I do like the cheese plan.  :D

Frodo and Sam had to act on faith.  That was the key.  Consider the number of times characters in the book mention having no hope but going on anyway.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:30 pm 

blib wrote:
Yeah, but as I recall if the fellowship didn't take down Sauron by a specific turn you lost.  So defending Minas Tirith with it's x3 bonus forever wasn't an option for overall victory.

ah well we bent the rules cos we just wanted an all out fight. the fight went on for bloody weeks lemme tell you - was a real blast tho.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:37 pm 

Tidy looking War of the Ring

** expired/removed eBay auction **

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:38 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
ah well we bent the rules cos we just wanted an all out fight. the fight went on for bloody weeks lemme tell you - was a real blast tho.

Al

Weren't there no rules about stacking armies? I seem to remember some mother-effing huge piles of troops heaped up right at the doorway to Mordor, fighting that final battle...and like you Al, we always wanted to fight it out to the bloody end rather than end it early...

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:17 am 

Badmike wrote:
Weren't there no rules about stacking armies? I seem to remember some mother-effing huge piles of troops heaped up right at the doorway to Mordor, fighting that final battle...and like you Al, we always wanted to fight it out to the bloody end rather than end it early...

Mike B.

Don't think there were any stacking rules.  I also remember some Dark Lord (Divine Right size) stacks that were ridiculous in strength.

As I recall you had a base 20 turns to beat Sauron plus a randomizer.   Minor battles started around turn 7 or 8.  By turn 14 or 15 the Dark Lord has so Many Orcs and Southern Men armies that Minas Tirith is really the only option the fellowship has until very late.  I believe there is an event card that disbands all the units from the Haradrim (The paths of the dead card perhaps???).  That provides a couple of turns to empty Minis Tirith and anything left defending Rohan and Head for the Gates of Doom for the big scrap.  At that time, I think Sauron just starts playing to survive.

I recall after a couple of plays we basically figured out that the tactical options were too limited for much creative commanding and like you guys modified rules for more of a traditional wargame.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:22 am 

blib wrote:
Don't think there were any stacking rules.  I also remember some Dark Lord (Divine Right size) stacks that were ridiculous in strength.

As I recall you had a base 20 turns to beat Sauron plus a randomizer.   Minor battles started around turn 7 or 8.  By turn 14 or 15 the Dark Lord has so Many Orcs and Southern Men armies that Minas Tirith is really the only option the fellowship has until very late.  I believe there is an event card that disbands all the units from the Haradrim (The paths of the dead card perhaps???).  That provides a couple of turns to empty Minis Tirith and anything left defending Rohan and Head for the Gates of Doom for the big scrap.  At that time, I think Sauron just starts playing to survive.

I recall after a couple of plays we basically figured out that the tactical options were too limited for much creative commanding and like you guys modified rules for more of a traditional wargame.

If I remember, if you made it past turn 10 or so it was a foregone conclusion the "Goods" were going to win, as the "Bads" had to get the ring early and strike quickly to gain a victory.  If I had the game today, I would probably change up the entire thing. I'd love to have battles at the farflung edges of the maps, the only spaces you ever used were all the ones surrounding Mordor or Gondor.  Make each Nazgul a leader of an army or something, send them around the board trying to take over objectives.  I'm getting nostalgic just thinking about it....!

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:03 am 

GURPS Conan lot:

Seller has three of these in single auctions as well.  Is also selling quite a few Avalon Hill wargames.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:47 am 

...could this be interesting?

http://cgi.ebay.com/BEHIND-ENEMY-LINES- ... 0111934539

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:31 am 

aia wrote:...could this be interesting?

Dunno...can't read French.  :P

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:58 am 

aia wrote:...could this be interesting?

No box. For those who can't read french...

:wink:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:34 pm 

I know that several members of this forum are currently bidding on some FGU products, including a 25mm fortifications auction with three members currently sitting at $7.00 with two hours to go.

Titan has more than one of these at $2.99

I just snagged several FGU things for .99 each and there are others still lurking around there for similar prices.

Once you've bought one Titan item it's tough to say no to a slew more of items that total around $3.50 each, including (half - combined) shipping.

In the new market climate, Titan looks better and better.

Mark   8)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:07 pm 

I notice that Titan Games now have cheques payable to Tonya - that 'Tonyasswapshop' thing was a strange old time :roll:

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:33 pm 

Titan used to pawn off 5 Chivalry & Sorcery books for $10 on Ebay which included Fortification Plans, Songsmith, etc

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:53 pm 

millward's Heroes rpg from '79 again  

good work and still not common

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:04 pm 

I think they dropped the pretense that Tonya was running her own business.  I suspect that it was partly because they could not get a reliable shipping person for the wages they could afford to pay.

I suspect that Tonya is now the shipper...which is OK.  In a general climate of high shipping prices, Titan's average price has actually gone down by a dollar since Tonya folded the Wap Shop.

With the demise of true combined shipping (putting things in the same damn envelope for the same damn price and the same damn effort) Titan Games looks better and better.

Titan's shipping can be slow...they mosey just a bit, mostly due to volume...but they have always proven reliable.

Foreign buyers beware, however...get a shipping quote before you buy from Titan.

Mark

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:36 pm 

Well, I am out on this Iron Wind at $15.25, bit cheeky posting it with 45 minutes to go I grant you- but there still seem to be some people up at this late hour  :wink:

ps. he has a 1st print Spell Law up too.

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 26 of 113123 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 111112113