Interesting Non-TSR Items Formerly on eBay
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 25 of 113123 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 111112113
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:04 am 

UK seller with a bunch of Minifigs in great condition (none in blister packs, no Greyhawk), as well as a bunch of WRG and other wargaming items:  eBay listings

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:24 am 

Badmike wrote:
Check out the price section here on the site, it should give you some good ideas for the D&D stuff...

I remember setting up the good old hard board maps for War of the Ring more than a few times.  Every game ended up the same, slogging it out for hours until all the armies met each other at the Gates of Mordor for a giant dust up. Of course after you played it a few times it got a little boring, sold mine long ago....

Mike B.

Lol, yeah Mike, think ours ended similarily.  Better than the climax of our Titan games which generally ended with dice being whipped at each others heads.

Mike do you remember a War of the Ring rip off game from SPI?  It had a huge fantasy map, and fictional characters, but almost the same setup as in a character game and a war game.  Am I imagining that?

What a great site you guys have here.  I am going to go through and find out exactly what I have left, what I want to keep, and what I want to let go of.

I havn't enjoyed looking through my gaming stuff so much in over a decade.  Funny how rabid people are still for Judges Guild stuff.  I had the whole citystate and many of the expansions and after years of borrowing and wearing out, I think I have 1 or 2 of the sourcebooks and maybe 20% of the maps left.  I think I might also have to re-buy my former Judges Guild stuff, for a loose/freeform DM like me, that stuff was gold.

I'll try to put up a partial list later today.  I'll give the average market price for anything people want for their collections.   I'm more interested in seeing my stuff in loving homes than making a killing.  I will e-mail photos of any of the stuff you're interested in.

*EDIT* I put a partial list in the classified section.

Last edited by blib on Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:44 am 

the one time we played the war of the rignt, they couldnt get me out of minas tirith :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:54 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:the one time we played the war of the rignt, they couldnt get me out of minas tirith :)

Al

Yeah, but as I recall if the fellowship didn't take down Sauron by a specific turn you lost.  So defending Minas Tirith with it's x3 bonus forever wasn't an option for overall victory.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:05 pm 

blib wrote:Yeah, but as I recall if the fellowship didn't take down Sauron by a specific turn you lost.  So defending Minas Tirith with it's x3 bonus forever wasn't an option for overall victory.

You're 100% correct, as I remember we played that SPI game a few times and the time limit seemed to create a "no win" scenario. What frustrated me was that the story line provided a much easier path, but would not have allowed an EPIC story.

SOLUTION: Since Gandalf could enlist the aid of the Eagles (Gwaihir), why not just fly the ring to Mordor, maybe battle the Nazgul, and then drop the frick'n ring into Mount Doom . . . Game Over :wink:

Of course we wouldn't have the three awesome movies today for the trilogy, so I'm glad that was not the story, but games should allow for various strategies . . . shouldn't they :?

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:21 pm 

PM-Knight wrote:
You're 100% correct, as I remember we played that SPI game a few times and the time limit seemed to create a "no win" scenario. What frustrated me was that the story line provided a much easier path, but would not have allowed an EPIC story.

SOLUTION: Since Gandalf could enlist the aid of the Eagles (Gwaihir), why not just fly the ring to Mordor, maybe battle the Nazgul, and then drop the frick'n ring into Mount Doom . . . Game Over :wink:

Of course we wouldn't have the three awesome movies today for the trilogy, so I'm glad that was not the story, but games should allow for various strategies . . . shouldn't they :?

Seems to me Tom Bombadil could have jogged it to Mordor too.  Didn't he handle it with no consequences?

I certainly hope that wasn't a Purple Worm that surprised your party, or they are/were the most sensory deprived Dungeon Party in the history of gaming! :D

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:22 pm 

blib wrote:
Lol, yeah Mike, think ours ended similarily.  Better than the climax of our Titan games which generally ended with dice being whipped at each others heads.

Mike do you remember a War of the Ring rip off game from SPI?  It had a huge fantasy map, and fictional characters, but almost the same setup as in a character game and a war game.  Am I imagining that?

What a great site you guys have here.  I am going to go through and find out exactly what I have left, what I want to keep, and what I want to let go of.

I havn't enjoyed looking through my gaming stuff so much in over a decade.  Funny how rabid people are still for Judges Guild stuff.  I had the whole citystate and many of the expansions and after years of borrowing and wearing out, I think I have 1 or 2 of the sourcebooks and maybe 20% of the maps left.  I think I might also have to re-buy my former Judges Guild stuff, for a loose/freeform DM like me, that stuff was gold.

I'll try to put up a partial list later today.  I'll give the average market price for anything people want for their collections.   I'm more interested in seeing my stuff in loving homes than making a killing.  I will e-mail photos of any of the stuff you're interested in.

*EDIT* I put a partial list in the classified section.

The game was Swords & Sorcery I believe (War of the Rings-like fantasy game from SPI), but they did also have Freedom in the Galaxy which was their Star Wars-like boardgame with pretty much all the "characters" from the movie with different names.  It was actually fun, played it a few times. Unfortunately never owned the S&S game.  Our group was really much more RPGers than wargamers, I think the only things we pulled out regularly were Divine Right and Squad Leader.  Talk about a beating, Divine Right was an all day affair, very fun but exhausting by the time everyone had gotten done stabbing each other in the back....
   Search for the Emperor's Treasure was our go to game for quite a few years whenever we got together and not enough people were there for a quorum to go dungeon delving.  Still a fun game, it's included in the Best of Dragon Games box that goes cheaply on ebay sometimes.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:10 pm 

Swords & Sorcery was a fun game with a halfway decent set of rules, but it did include a potential turn-off for some players: the endless puns and other attempts at "humor."

The Hills of Avalon ... the Natalie Woods ... Logarithm (son of Algorithm) ... a character named after Gygax ... killer penguins ... a sorceror who could summon an SS tank division ... the list is practically endless. It worked for some players; it was a distraction for those who took their fantasy gaming more "seriously."

In terms of modern collecting, S&S can be an interesting item to pursue. There are multiple editions and the game can be difficult to find in unpunched condition with a still-sturdy box. Depending on circumstances, it can still fetch a pretty hefty price.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:16 pm 

PM-Knight wrote:

Because Sauron would have prevented an entrance into Mordor by the eagles simply by the power of his will...or the eagles would have been met and opposed by other minions of Sauron...or maybe the author just thought it would be cheating.    

The text makes it clear that Tom Bombadil had no interest in the ring and was not a reliable ringbearer...also the writer was being cute by incorporating a character based upon a stuffed doll that did not fit with all the other characters in the setting.    

The one time I played the SPI version of that game in quest mode, we ended up with a battle royal at Mount Doom.  Pretty silly, actually.

Mark

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:40 pm 

The ring would corrupt the eagle (which is a powerful Maiar).

Well, that's my theory.

This has been debated for years on rec.arts.books.tolkien and alt.fan.tolkien. Here's one thread:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.fan. ... 277516e57e

Last edited by Zenopus on Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:41 pm 

PM-Knight wrote:SOLUTION: Since Gandalf could enlist the aid of the Eagles (Gwaihir), why not just fly the ring to Mordor, maybe battle the Nazgul, and then drop the frick'n ring into Mount Doom . . . Game Over :wink:

Gandalf could not simply enlist the aid of the Great Eagles willy-nilly; the great eagles were the direct servants of Manwe (moreso that Gandalf in this regard), and as such, had to remain neutral in the conflict. In the books, the Great Eagles did not participate in the battle before the Black Gate; that was an addition in the movie. The Nazgul fled even as the Great Eagles arrived, as they received the command from Sauron to return to Mount Doom and seize the ring before all was lost. But it was already too late... for Manwe had sent the Great Eagles not to fight, but to witness, and (in his heart of hearts) to give hope, as did his servant, Olorin (aka, Gandalf). Once Sauron was dead, the Great Eagles were free to act to save Sam and Frodo...

But carrying the Ring or the Ringbearer into Mordor was more than they would be allowed to do.

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:24 pm 

FormCritic wrote:

The text makes it clear that Tom Bombadil had no interest in the ring and was not a reliable ringbearer...also the writer was being cute by incorporating a character based upon a stuffed doll that did not fit with all the other characters in the setting.    

Mark

hmm...  2 hobbits, and a chaotic evil former hobbit or taking a chance that Bombadil might give the thing to a pixie on a whim.  I would have had Gandalf, Elrond, Aragorn maybe Radaghast impress on bombadil that this was kinda important and rolled the dice.  Figure the odds would have been better than the twentysix 01/100 rolls the hobbits made.

why not just have him swallow it?  Hide it in a piece of cheese or something. :D

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:19 am 

Well...yes...I do like the cheese plan.  :D

Frodo and Sam had to act on faith.  That was the key.  Consider the number of times characters in the book mention having no hope but going on anyway.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:30 pm 

blib wrote:
Yeah, but as I recall if the fellowship didn't take down Sauron by a specific turn you lost.  So defending Minas Tirith with it's x3 bonus forever wasn't an option for overall victory.

ah well we bent the rules cos we just wanted an all out fight. the fight went on for bloody weeks lemme tell you - was a real blast tho.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:37 pm 

Tidy looking War of the Ring

** expired/removed eBay auction **

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:38 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
ah well we bent the rules cos we just wanted an all out fight. the fight went on for bloody weeks lemme tell you - was a real blast tho.

Al

Weren't there no rules about stacking armies? I seem to remember some mother-effing huge piles of troops heaped up right at the doorway to Mordor, fighting that final battle...and like you Al, we always wanted to fight it out to the bloody end rather than end it early...

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:17 am 

Badmike wrote:
Weren't there no rules about stacking armies? I seem to remember some mother-effing huge piles of troops heaped up right at the doorway to Mordor, fighting that final battle...and like you Al, we always wanted to fight it out to the bloody end rather than end it early...

Mike B.

Don't think there were any stacking rules.  I also remember some Dark Lord (Divine Right size) stacks that were ridiculous in strength.

As I recall you had a base 20 turns to beat Sauron plus a randomizer.   Minor battles started around turn 7 or 8.  By turn 14 or 15 the Dark Lord has so Many Orcs and Southern Men armies that Minas Tirith is really the only option the fellowship has until very late.  I believe there is an event card that disbands all the units from the Haradrim (The paths of the dead card perhaps???).  That provides a couple of turns to empty Minis Tirith and anything left defending Rohan and Head for the Gates of Doom for the big scrap.  At that time, I think Sauron just starts playing to survive.

I recall after a couple of plays we basically figured out that the tactical options were too limited for much creative commanding and like you guys modified rules for more of a traditional wargame.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:22 am 

blib wrote:
Don't think there were any stacking rules.  I also remember some Dark Lord (Divine Right size) stacks that were ridiculous in strength.

As I recall you had a base 20 turns to beat Sauron plus a randomizer.   Minor battles started around turn 7 or 8.  By turn 14 or 15 the Dark Lord has so Many Orcs and Southern Men armies that Minas Tirith is really the only option the fellowship has until very late.  I believe there is an event card that disbands all the units from the Haradrim (The paths of the dead card perhaps???).  That provides a couple of turns to empty Minis Tirith and anything left defending Rohan and Head for the Gates of Doom for the big scrap.  At that time, I think Sauron just starts playing to survive.

I recall after a couple of plays we basically figured out that the tactical options were too limited for much creative commanding and like you guys modified rules for more of a traditional wargame.

If I remember, if you made it past turn 10 or so it was a foregone conclusion the "Goods" were going to win, as the "Bads" had to get the ring early and strike quickly to gain a victory.  If I had the game today, I would probably change up the entire thing. I'd love to have battles at the farflung edges of the maps, the only spaces you ever used were all the ones surrounding Mordor or Gondor.  Make each Nazgul a leader of an army or something, send them around the board trying to take over objectives.  I'm getting nostalgic just thinking about it....!

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 25 of 113123 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 111112113