Interesting Non-TSR Items Formerly on eBay
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 25 of 113123 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 111112113
Author


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 04, 2021

Post Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:48 pm 
 

While I am here, I might as well as post this as it seems to have gotten missed so far:




** expired eBay auction **




War of the Ring with the Gondor and Sauron expansions. 20 hours to go and sitting at only $11. :)


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 4750
Joined: Oct 31, 2004
Last Visit: Oct 29, 2021
Location: Garland, TX

Post Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:14 am 
 

Here is another War of the Ring:




** expired eBay auction **




Seller says the item is in original shrinkwrap.  Regardless, I usually don't see the tray and cover in this nice of shape.

  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3798
Joined: Feb 23, 2005
Last Visit: Sep 02, 2021

Post Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:54 am 
 

Anybody own a copy of this?




** expired eBay auction **




FGU Fortifications plans.  Just wondering if it's cool and worth a bid or not.


Let mirth prevail!

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5648
Joined: Jun 30, 2003
Last Visit: Nov 18, 2021
Location: New Hampsha

Post Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:40 pm 
 

Yassuh, I have one. I think I liked it.


If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

 WWW  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3798
Joined: Feb 23, 2005
Last Visit: Sep 02, 2021

Post Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:43 pm 
 

Some of the FGU stuff is pretty good.  Nice look and feel to it.  Maybe I'll have a go at this one.   :D


Let mirth prevail!

  


Collector

Posts: 6
Joined: Apr 06, 2007
Last Visit: Apr 09, 2007

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:13 am 
 

Hi all,

I was thinking of putting some of my old game stuff on ebay since none of my nieces and nephews seem to be interested in getting into it.

The conditions range from well played with to fairly untouched.

A lot of Car Wars, 1st edition Thieves Guild, 1st edition Chivalry & Sorcery, a White box edition of D&D (not 1st printing).  All of the supplements except chainmail.  Boxed traveller (water damaged),1st edition Space Opera Book 1 & 2 (box gone), a ton of those little nova game books, early Tunnels and Trolls and lots of modules, tons of RoleMaster and MERP stuff.  Pretty much everything I have except some of my AD&D 1st edition and Call of Cthulthu stuff.  I mention this in case any of you are looking for a specific piece.

Are there any holy grails in RPG or fantasy/sci fi wargame collecting?  No unfortunately I don't have Empire of the Petal Throne or SPI War of the Ring(anymore).

PS Oh yeah, and that link you posted to War of the Ring wasn't the version I had.  Mine was in a thick white box from SPI and had hard board maps.  As I recall the map took up half a ping pong table and the game had a character game and a war game.  The two times we tried the war game I remember it taking weeks.  One of the many thing that was borrowed and dissapeared over the years.  :(  (The again, there are things in my collection I can't remember buying as well..)

  


Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5677
Joined: Nov 16, 2002
Last Visit: Dec 01, 2021
Location: Wichita, KS, USA

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:03 pm 
 

blib, if you post a list, I'm sure folks can help advise on what's junk and what's sellable.


Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7969
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Dec 01, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:10 pm 
 

blib wrote:Hi all,

I was thinking of putting some of my old game stuff on ebay since none of my nieces and nephews seem to be interested in getting into it.

The conditions range from well played with to fairly untouched.

A lot of Car Wars, 1st edition Thieves Guild, 1st edition Chivalry & Sorcery, a White box edition of D&D (not 1st printing).  All of the supplements except chainmail.  Boxed traveller (water damaged),1st edition Space Opera Book 1 & 2 (box gone), a ton of those little nova game books, early Tunnels and Trolls and lots of modules, tons of RoleMaster and MERP stuff.  Pretty much everything I have except some of my AD&D 1st edition and Call of Cthulthu stuff.  I mention this in case any of you are looking for a specific piece.

Are there any holy grails in RPG or fantasy/sci fi wargame collecting?  No unfortunately I don't have Empire of the Petal Throne or SPI War of the Ring(anymore).

PS Oh yeah, and that link you posted to War of the Ring wasn't the version I had.  Mine was in a thick white box from SPI and had hard board maps.  As I recall the map took up half a ping pong table and the game had a character game and a war game.  The two times we tried the war game I remember it taking weeks.  One of the many thing that was borrowed and dissapeared over the years.  :(  (The again, there are things in my collection I can't remember buying as well..)


Check out the price section here on the site, it should give you some good ideas for the D&D stuff...

I remember setting up the good old hard board maps for War of the Ring more than a few times.  Every game ended up the same, slogging it out for hours until all the armies met each other at the Gates of Mordor for a giant dust up. Of course after you played it a few times it got a little boring, sold mine long ago....

Mike B.


"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

 WWW  


Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5677
Joined: Nov 16, 2002
Last Visit: Dec 01, 2021
Location: Wichita, KS, USA

Post Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:04 am 
 

UK seller with a bunch of Minifigs in great condition (none in blister packs, no Greyhawk), as well as a bunch of WRG and other wargaming items:  eBay listings


Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

 WWW  


Collector

Posts: 6
Joined: Apr 06, 2007
Last Visit: Apr 09, 2007

Post Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:24 am 
 

Badmike wrote:
Check out the price section here on the site, it should give you some good ideas for the D&D stuff...

I remember setting up the good old hard board maps for War of the Ring more than a few times.  Every game ended up the same, slogging it out for hours until all the armies met each other at the Gates of Mordor for a giant dust up. Of course after you played it a few times it got a little boring, sold mine long ago....

Mike B.


Lol, yeah Mike, think ours ended similarily.  Better than the climax of our Titan games which generally ended with dice being whipped at each others heads.

Mike do you remember a War of the Ring rip off game from SPI?  It had a huge fantasy map, and fictional characters, but almost the same setup as in a character game and a war game.  Am I imagining that?

What a great site you guys have here.  I am going to go through and find out exactly what I have left, what I want to keep, and what I want to let go of.

I havn't enjoyed looking through my gaming stuff so much in over a decade.  Funny how rabid people are still for Judges Guild stuff.  I had the whole citystate and many of the expansions and after years of borrowing and wearing out, I think I have 1 or 2 of the sourcebooks and maybe 20% of the maps left.  I think I might also have to re-buy my former Judges Guild stuff, for a loose/freeform DM like me, that stuff was gold.

I'll try to put up a partial list later today.  I'll give the average market price for anything people want for their collections.   I'm more interested in seeing my stuff in loving homes than making a killing.  I will e-mail photos of any of the stuff you're interested in.

*EDIT* I put a partial list in the classified section.


Last edited by blib on Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:44 am 
 

the one time we played the war of the rignt, they couldnt get me out of minas tirith :)

Al



  


Collector

Posts: 6
Joined: Apr 06, 2007
Last Visit: Apr 09, 2007

Post Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:54 pm 
 

killjoy32 wrote:the one time we played the war of the rignt, they couldnt get me out of minas tirith :)

Al


Yeah, but as I recall if the fellowship didn't take down Sauron by a specific turn you lost.  So defending Minas Tirith with it's x3 bonus forever wasn't an option for overall victory.

  

User avatar

Prolific Collector

Posts: 555
Joined: Dec 01, 2006
Last Visit: Sep 10, 2021
Location: Jupiter, FL

Post Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:05 pm 
 

blib wrote:Yeah, but as I recall if the fellowship didn't take down Sauron by a specific turn you lost.  So defending Minas Tirith with it's x3 bonus forever wasn't an option for overall victory.


You're 100% correct, as I remember we played that SPI game a few times and the time limit seemed to create a "no win" scenario. What frustrated me was that the story line provided a much easier path, but would not have allowed an EPIC story.

SOLUTION: Since Gandalf could enlist the aid of the Eagles (Gwaihir), why not just fly the ring to Mordor, maybe battle the Nazgul, and then drop the frick'n ring into Mount Doom . . . Game Over :wink:

Of course we wouldn't have the three awesome movies today for the trilogy, so I'm glad that was not the story, but games should allow for various strategies . . . shouldn't they :?


"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

  


Collector

Posts: 6
Joined: Apr 06, 2007
Last Visit: Apr 09, 2007

Post Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:21 pm 
 

PM-Knight wrote:
You're 100% correct, as I remember we played that SPI game a few times and the time limit seemed to create a "no win" scenario. What frustrated me was that the story line provided a much easier path, but would not have allowed an EPIC story.

SOLUTION: Since Gandalf could enlist the aid of the Eagles (Gwaihir), why not just fly the ring to Mordor, maybe battle the Nazgul, and then drop the frick'n ring into Mount Doom . . . Game Over :wink:

Of course we wouldn't have the three awesome movies today for the trilogy, so I'm glad that was not the story, but games should allow for various strategies . . . shouldn't they :?


Seems to me Tom Bombadil could have jogged it to Mordor too.  Didn't he handle it with no consequences?

I certainly hope that wasn't a Purple Worm that surprised your party, or they are/were the most sensory deprived Dungeon Party in the history of gaming! :D

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7969
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Dec 01, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:22 pm 
 

blib wrote:
Lol, yeah Mike, think ours ended similarily.  Better than the climax of our Titan games which generally ended with dice being whipped at each others heads.

Mike do you remember a War of the Ring rip off game from SPI?  It had a huge fantasy map, and fictional characters, but almost the same setup as in a character game and a war game.  Am I imagining that?

What a great site you guys have here.  I am going to go through and find out exactly what I have left, what I want to keep, and what I want to let go of.

I havn't enjoyed looking through my gaming stuff so much in over a decade.  Funny how rabid people are still for Judges Guild stuff.  I had the whole citystate and many of the expansions and after years of borrowing and wearing out, I think I have 1 or 2 of the sourcebooks and maybe 20% of the maps left.  I think I might also have to re-buy my former Judges Guild stuff, for a loose/freeform DM like me, that stuff was gold.

I'll try to put up a partial list later today.  I'll give the average market price for anything people want for their collections.   I'm more interested in seeing my stuff in loving homes than making a killing.  I will e-mail photos of any of the stuff you're interested in.

*EDIT* I put a partial list in the classified section.


The game was Swords & Sorcery I believe (War of the Rings-like fantasy game from SPI), but they did also have Freedom in the Galaxy which was their Star Wars-like boardgame with pretty much all the "characters" from the movie with different names.  It was actually fun, played it a few times. Unfortunately never owned the S&S game.  Our group was really much more RPGers than wargamers, I think the only things we pulled out regularly were Divine Right and Squad Leader.  Talk about a beating, Divine Right was an all day affair, very fun but exhausting by the time everyone had gotten done stabbing each other in the back....
   Search for the Emperor's Treasure was our go to game for quite a few years whenever we got together and not enough people were there for a quorum to go dungeon delving.  Still a fun game, it's included in the Best of Dragon Games box that goes cheaply on ebay sometimes.

Mike B.


"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

 WWW  


Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 2884
Joined: Nov 04, 2004
Last Visit: May 09, 2020

Post Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:10 pm 
 

Swords & Sorcery was a fun game with a halfway decent set of rules, but it did include a potential turn-off for some players: the endless puns and other attempts at "humor."

The Hills of Avalon ... the Natalie Woods ... Logarithm (son of Algorithm) ... a character named after Gygax ... killer penguins ... a sorceror who could summon an SS tank division ... the list is practically endless. It worked for some players; it was a distraction for those who took their fantasy gaming more "seriously."

In terms of modern collecting, S&S can be an interesting item to pursue. There are multiple editions and the game can be difficult to find in unpunched condition with a still-sturdy box. Depending on circumstances, it can still fetch a pretty hefty price.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6720
Joined: Jul 16, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 02, 2021

Post Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:16 pm 
 

PM-Knight wrote:

SOLUTION: Since Gandalf could enlist the aid of the Eagles (Gwaihir), why not just fly the ring to Mordor, maybe battle the Nazgul, and then drop the frick'n ring into Mount Doom . . . Game Over :wink:

 


Because Sauron would have prevented an entrance into Mordor by the eagles simply by the power of his will...or the eagles would have been met and opposed by other minions of Sauron...or maybe the author just thought it would be cheating.    

The text makes it clear that Tom Bombadil had no interest in the ring and was not a reliable ringbearer...also the writer was being cute by incorporating a character based upon a stuffed doll that did not fit with all the other characters in the setting.    

The one time I played the SPI version of that game in quest mode, we ended up with a battle royal at Mount Doom.  Pretty silly, actually.

Mark


"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

  


Verbose Collector

Posts: 1669
Joined: Sep 03, 2003
Last Visit: Nov 28, 2021
Location: Portown

Post Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:40 pm 
 

The ring would corrupt the eagle (which is a powerful Maiar).

Well, that's my theory.

This has been debated for years on rec.arts.books.tolkien and alt.fan.tolkien. Here's one thread:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.fan. ... 277516e57e


Last edited by Zenopus on Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 WWW  
PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 25 of 113123 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 111112113