Interesting Non-TSR Items Formerly on eBay
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 92 of 113123 ... 89, 90, 91, 92, 93 ... 111112113
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:51 am 

killjoy32 wrote:

you mean:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

i was watching that - its a damn rare item and most of the big collectors go for these.

no surprise to see who won it though, which was prb why it went for top $

I saw it was a Wee Warriors but was it just a fantasy boardgame or was it rpg related? I'm sure the seller was shocked at the final price.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:52 am 

JZavoda wrote:Did anyone notice this auction? Not even sure what this was but it went for over $700

Dragonlord, 1977 early paper edition by Morno,Scarce NR

There is a Wee Warriors thread around here somewhere with some info on Dragonlord.  Pretty darn rare from what I recall reading...especially with the game sheet and chits intact.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:56 am 

Rare isn't even the word. I've only seen or heard of two, and that one might be the other one. In fact, TFM might now have both; I think he was the one who got mine.
$700 was a steal.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 22, 2008 1:34 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:Rare isn't even the word. I've only seen or heard of two, and that one might be the other one. In fact, TFM might now have both; I think he was the one who got mine.
$700 was a steal.

More power to him. He's been a wonderful customer. Luckily I enjoy scavaging and selling but am perfectly happy with a cheap copy over a pricey original.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 22, 2008 2:39 pm 

This was yours, Jason? Where did you originally get it? Mike Kuo and I were the only people I knew of that had one.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 22, 2008 2:51 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:This was yours, Jason? Where did you originally get it? Mike Kuo and I were the only people I knew of that had one.

I remember another member mentioning they had one at one time (tdewey10).  Coulda sworn there was another member that picked one up several months back.

Damnit, now I have to go searching through a bunch of threads to find it.  :x

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:15 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:This was yours, Jason? Where did you originally get it? Mike Kuo and I were the only people I knew of that had one.

Sorry about the confusion. No, this one wasn't mine. The last wee warriors item I had was embattled trek.

I think the seller of this one had no idea what he or she had.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:50 pm 

If you ever get the chance to look at one, it's quite neat. Not much different than any other counter-based game, but the long tablet-style format is unusual.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:26 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:If you ever get the chance to look at one, it's quite neat. Not much different than any other counter-based game, but the long tablet-style format is unusual.

Who knows? I've come across some incredible stuff over the years and things you wouldn't think could possibly be left out there in the world of flea markets, garage sales and auction lots.

Found a Dark Tower and Arkham Horror last week at a garage sale.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:21 pm 

JZavoda wrote:Found a Dark Tower and Arkham Horror last week at a garage sale.

Cool

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:58 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Huge-Traveller-sc ... dZViewItem

Traveller lot, includes Lightning class cruisers - sayys includes Azhanti high Lightning, but probably worth asking some questions.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:46 pm 

gyg wrote:

Traveller lot, includes Lightning class cruisers - sayys includes Azhanti high Lightning, but probably worth asking some questions.

The Azhanti High Lightning game comes with two booklets.  Supplement 5: Lightning Class Cruisers and the Azhanti High Lightning Rules booklet which is the same size as all of the Traveller LBB's.  I'd wager those are the books that the seller is referring to.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:12 pm 

JZavoda wrote:
Who knows? I've come across some incredible stuff over the years and things you wouldn't think could possibly be left out there in the world of flea markets, garage sales and auction lots.

Found a Dark Tower and Arkham Horror last week at a garage sale.

Unfortunately the dominance of Half Price Books in Texas (and especially in Dallas Fort Worth with 20 stores) leads to very few people with games or books at garage sales anymore.....they just load them up and dump them in the trunk and head to HPB.  It's very rare to find any sort of books at all at a Garage Sale in this area.  Just this week, one of the Fort Worth stores got in an entire lot of Arkham house books, including some incredibly rare Robert E. Howard and Clark Ashton Smith, as well as about 100 older Weird Tales magazines.  Years past, a seller this clueless might have dumped all these goodies on a flea market stall or at a garage sale. Now, the ubiqitousness of HPB has led to them pretty much cherry picking the goodies  :(   Ah, well, I've got some deals from them over the years as well....

And I'd like to add, once again, that never in 25+ years going to hundreds of garage sales, flea markets, and goodwills have I ever found one single RPG gaming item...

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:23 pm 

JZavoda wrote:
More power to him. He's been a wonderful customer. Luckily I enjoy scavaging and selling but am perfectly happy with a cheap copy over a pricey original.

I believe I actually have the dude blocked.  He can continue his world domination of overpaying and hoarding multiple copies of all rare RPG items in existance without my helping hand.....I like to spread the wealth, as I get my price regardless (since I don't auction anything and instead place it in my Ebay store....)

Years ago I blocked two Ebay resellers (don't remember their names but people here may) who were basically buying up all MERP items and then marking the price up double and placing them in their Ebay store.  Right after I blocked them I placed up a huge collection of items I got from a former ICE employee, at about half the price these two resellers had their items listed at.  About five minutes after I listed them, I began getting angry and puzzled emails from both sellers, wondering why in the hell I had blocked them, didn't I want to sell my items, what was my problem, I was going to get the price I asked for, was this some sort of joke, etc.  I simply stated I purchased the items for a nominal price, was getting a decent profit, and wished the items to go to actual MERP fans and not a reseller who would immediately jack up the price....no insult intended.  I even told them they were only blocked in regards to the MERP items, if they wished anything else in my Ebay store they were welcome to email me and I'd sell it to them.

Of course, I was cussed out by both resellers  :roll:

TFM may be a helluva guy, and probably a great dude to have a beer with and talk about games.  But as he overpays for his 10th copy of a woodgrain or whatever, I do get a little annoyed, which may be entirely hypocritical of me.  Maybe I'm naive also but I believe the hobby is better served by "spreading the wealth" instead of consolidating it in a finite number of hands, to be forever traded back and forth between five-six uber collectors.

Yep, now that I look at it, I AM a hypocrital SOB. :wink:

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:07 am 

Badmike wrote:
I believe I actually have the dude blocked.  He can continue his world domination of overpaying and hoarding multiple copies of all rare RPG items in existance without my helping hand.....I like to spread the wealth, as I get my price regardless (since I don't auction anything and instead place it in my Ebay store....)

Years ago I blocked two Ebay resellers (don't remember their names but people here may) who were basically buying up all MERP items and then marking the price up double and placing them in their Ebay store.  Right after I blocked them I placed up a huge collection of items I got from a former ICE employee, at about half the price these two resellers had their items listed at.  About five minutes after I listed them, I began getting angry and puzzled emails from both sellers, wondering why in the hell I had blocked them, didn't I want to sell my items, what was my problem, I was going to get the price I asked for, was this some sort of joke, etc.  I simply stated I purchased the items for a nominal price, was getting a decent profit, and wished the items to go to actual MERP fans and not a reseller who would immediately jack up the price....no insult intended.  I even told them they were only blocked in regards to the MERP items, if they wished anything else in my Ebay store they were welcome to email me and I'd sell it to them.

Of course, I was cussed out by both resellers  :roll:

TFM may be a helluva guy, and probably a great dude to have a beer with and talk about games.  But as he overpays for his 10th copy of a woodgrain or whatever, I do get a little annoyed, which may be entirely hypocritical of me.  Maybe I'm naive also but I believe the hobby is better served by "spreading the wealth" instead of consolidating it in a finite number of hands, to be forever traded back and forth between five-six uber collectors.

Yep, now that I look at it, I AM a hypocrital SOB. :wink:

Mike B.

Well, the thing is I'm no collector. Give me a blank sheet of paper or a blank screen and a hot keyboard and I am happy.

It's not the cover, or the karma of the item, the sealed in plastic mintyness just doesn't do a thing for me. But I know it matters a lot to people. If I have a beat to hell module or rulebook or game, loaded with history, or scans, photocopies or handdrawn reproductions, I have what I want and all I need.

Overpayers and obssesive dragon hoarding collectors make the collectable aspect of games more enjoyable. They are someone to beat out, they inspire even if it is just inspired swearing when they pay double, triple or more than what you or I think something is worth. They provide the war stories of collectors and sellers both.

I used to be a reseller, there were about 7 of us listed on Papay's old list, and I am more than guilty of buying up collections just to resell, though I normally liked to make a quick profit and turn over the inventory as soon as possible rather than hanging onto something and going for the big bucks. Nowdays I'm cleaning out some old game closets and scavenging (because I love scavenging, treasure hunting really).

I'd never block out another reseller just becasue they wanted to mark up a price or block a customer because he needed 100 shrinkwrapped copies instead of 99. But I'll gladly lend out my ratty copies of modules to a fellow gamer in need. A polite, honest quick-paying obessive overpaying collector is always welcome to me, or a shifty eyed reseller, one of the old brotherhood of mine, just another wolf of a different color, I'd have no objection to selling to.

But that's just me, an old reselling wolf, digging into the fun of gaming and creating again, *and selling off the dribs and drabs of 35 years of reselling to support my habit.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:07 am 

JZavoda wrote:
Well, the thing is I'm no collector. Give me a blank sheet of paper or a blank screen and a hot keyboard and I am happy.

It's not the cover, or the karma of the item, the sealed in plastic mintyness just doesn't do a thing for me. But I know it matters a lot to people. If I have a beat to hell module or rulebook or game, loaded with history, or scans, photocopies or handdrawn reproductions, I have what I want and all I need.

Overpayers and obssesive dragon hoarding collectors make the collectable aspect of games more enjoyable. They are someone to beat out, they inspire even if it is just inspired swearing when they pay double, triple or more than what you or I think something is worth. They provide the war stories of collectors and sellers both.

I used to be a reseller, there were about 7 of us listed on Papay's old list, and I am more than guilty of buying up collections just to resell, though I normally liked to make a quick profit and turn over the inventory as soon as possible rather than hanging onto something and going for the big bucks. Nowdays I'm cleaning out some old game closets and scavenging (because I love scavenging, treasure hunting really).

I'd never block out another reseller just becasue they wanted to mark up a price or block a customer because he needed 100 shrinkwrapped copies instead of 99. But I'll gladly lend out my ratty copies of modules to a fellow gamer in need. A polite, honest quick-paying obessive overpaying collector is always welcome to me, or a shifty eyed reseller, one of the old brotherhood of mine, just another wolf of a different color, I'd have no objection to selling to.

But that's just me, an old reselling wolf, digging into the fun of gaming and creating again, *and selling off the dribs and drabs of 35 years of reselling to support my habit.

Well I do remember you from the old days, Jason, and you were a helluva reseller!   And I echo your comments about the process...it's just "treasure finding" in a different guise.  Nothing cooler than flipping through a pile of "worthless" junk at a used bookstore and pulling, say, a Chainmail out of the stack for five bucks.  Hell, even you don't need the Chainmail, it's just the thrill of the hunt.  And like you Jason I often regret I was into buying the collections for the quick turnover, not the investment opportunities (although I do have a few goodies stashed away for my own personal enjoyment).  One of the reasons I got rid of all my shrinked stuff a few years back.

I've tried to cut down on the hypocritical aspect of buying stuff to resell, and yet sometimes not selling to resellers. First, I rarely do any business on ebay, as it leads you far too often into bidding against people who may be your customers at some point. I've been lucky through the years to get most of my stash at used bookstores and the like.   Second, when I rarely do bid, when names were visible I would drop out when I saw a name I recognized from the Acaeum, or my customer list, if it was something for resale and not personal enjoyement.  Third yeh I very hypocritially have blocked a large number of resellers over the years when I felt their sole purpose was to jack up prices and not just turn a decent profit.  

Although now I sell pretty much full time, I've come to realize that the main thing I got from buying, selling and trading gaming materials wasn't the extra dough, or the additions to my collection, or the fame and fortune of being one of the first RPG resellers on the internet (hard to believe but I was there in the day with Quincy, Jason, Mike, and the rest); but the relationships I formed with fellow collectors far and wide.  

One of my first sales was to a great guy, J. Mark Bicking, who lived in Philly.  Besides writing three of the better Dungeon Magazine adventures, Mark was a Eagles fan (and a fan of football in general), and we traded emails for years and years about all subjects.  I always wish I had gotten to meet him personally, but I wasn't travelling much in those days.  I also had the occasional email correspondance with Gary Gygax and Frank Mentzer, which was very cool.  But the #1 life changing event brought forth from my reselling was joining the Acaeum.  The level of discourse and the incredible innate goodness of people from this site just astounds me.  Over the years dozens of handshake deals have been made back and forth, and typically something "extra" is thrown in, to restore some faith in humanity from the crap going on in the world each day.

The first meeting I had with Acaeum members KingofPain and Aneoth was memorable, because here I could talk to some others who knew what "Woodgrain", "Orange B3", and "OCE" meant without having to deal with odd looks. I formed a lot of fun relationships online; Deimos' chat room (brilliant idea!!!) helped that along. Meeting Acaeum members finally came to a head at last year's Gen Con, where a good time was had by all and I personally saw NUMEROUS moments of good deeds between Acaeum members, from items given away for free to bidders "dropping out" of auctions to let others win items.  

Sure among the hard core collectors it's more than a hobby...but as Deadlord as said for years, if you go by the axiom "There's always another one", which I firmly believe after 14 years of doing this online, you won't lose friends over something as "silly" as a 1st print woodgrain.  Yeh you're going to beat the other guy's head in if you go mano a mano at auction time, but it's never in a bad way....afterwards there are handshakes all around.

Sorry to ramble, but I try to put down in words why I am made uneasy by the uber collecting horde meisters that doesn't just have to have everything, but MULTIPLE COPIES of everything, even if it's just for his own enjoyment and not for resale. I think it helps the hobby of collecting as a whole to have items spread out. Among the guys I know that spend a lot of money, generally they won't go insane to collect multiple copies, or they limit themselves to particular items in their collecting frenzy. I guess to somehow sum this credo up, I would rather at this point in my life, job and collecting experience help out the "little guy" looking for his first SW copy of WG4 than get the ultimate highest profit and let the New York Yankees of the collecting world types crack another notch on their belt.  Hey, I realize it's a bit hypocritical as I step inside a local Half Price Books looking for a surprise treasure, or log on to ebay thinking this may be the day when I get a Woodgrain on a $100 BIN, seeing as in both cases I may be taking it out of the hands of a newbie....but I'm addicted to the crack of discovery, whether I benefit from it personally or professionally.  

So all those buyers out there thank you for the years you have given me the ability to do something I enjoy; I don't mean to savage the ones that have become resellers, as some of them are friends, but I'm moving into that area that I'd rather lose 25 bucks on a sale and get the item into someone's hands who doesn't have much in the way of gaming, than make more money to have it tossed into a giant pile by a RPG Lord. Odd how you reach these places.

But yeh, I'm not giving this stuff away or anything. Reselling this stuff is FUN!

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:38 pm 

Palace of the Vampire Queen - not the best condition

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:45 pm 

Mixed lot of MERP stuff - might be worth asking some questions

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 92 of 113123 ... 89, 90, 91, 92, 93 ... 111112113