Goodman Games - AD&D GenCon DCC 12.5 special...
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:08 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Three print runs total that I know of at present....
1st printing with incorrect numbering rushed out for GenCon (about 60 copies)
2 different versions of the 2nd Printing. Corrected numbering on the maps. Between the two '2nd printings' there appears to be no difference at all in the content that I can decern. However, there is about a quarter inch difference in the height between the two, and a difference in the colour saturation tone of the blue in the map. Clearly this is not a difference just in the map cover though, as the books also differ in height. Presumably Goodman games ordered X quantity from the printer and to fulfil the order, the printer used two separate machines with differenced in the cut height and the colour calibration between the two presses. As both the '2nd printings' come from very reputable sources, there is no doubt of their authenticity. But also no way of saying which copy preceeds which other without GG commenting on the difference.

Wow, how do you figure something like this out?  Did you talk with the Goodman games folks?

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:30 pm 

bombadil wrote:
One of those rare instances of dumb luck on my part.  8)

Ditto, I don't even remember why in particular I picked up a few copies.  I think Ian got one from me for something like 20 bucks before I realized how hard they were going to be to find... :roll:

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:45 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:Wow, how do you figure something like this out?  Did you talk with the Goodman games folks?

No. I have two different versions of the 'goldenrod' 2nd printing. They are both from reputable dealers, and neither of them have the map printing errors of the 1st printing. As Goodman Games say there was only a single reprinting to correct the map for general release, and I have two different versions, the only logical deduction that accounts for these differences is is that the printer ran off the print run on two different machines.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:55 pm 

If I recall correctly (I think it is posted in the Goodman Games forum somewhere), when the 2nd printing was received from the printer a number of copies were damaged.  Consequently, more needed to be printed and some orders where shipped out later.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:56 pm 

Mars wrote:If I recall correctly (I think it is posted in the Goodman Games forum somewhere), when the 2nd printing was received from the printer a number of copies were damaged.  Consequently, more needed to be printed and some orders where shipped out later.

Yep, this was the response I got when I asked were my copy was at the time. So the '2nd' was printed at two different times. Not regarding color since that would be hard to compare to a picture, but what other factors are there in these to look for (since with mine being the last batch to be printed, this could thus be figured out in printing order).

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:59 pm 

There is about a quarter inch difference in height between the two batches in that order. The front cover colour is identical although there is more yellow border top and bottom on the larger book. There biggest difference is in the colour of the blue of the map within the bifold. The blue is a lot deeper in one than in the other.

I will post photos when I get back to Scotland. As they seem to have been from the same order, I presume they are both to be called '2nd printings'. I suspect with this particular 'limited edition' there will be a future official third printing.

As regards the ones you have, Shane, if they received your package returned undelivered, it's possible they shipped them back to you? Can you be sure you have 2nd Beta Printings and not 2nd Alpha Printings?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:09 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:As regards the ones you have, Shane, if they received your package returned undelivered, it's possible they shipped them back to you? Can you be sure you have 2nd Beta Printings and not 2nd Alpha Printings?

No, they never sent it..the response I got was that there was a problem with a portion of them and that is why some got theres yet others had to wait a bit longer.

As for height, my 2nd is 12 inches

ShaneG.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:32 am 

So the 282mm size ones would be the 2nd 'Alphas'?

"Don't tempt me, I can resist anything but temptation"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:03 pm 

Plaag wrote:
No, they never sent it..the response I got was that there was a problem with a portion of them and that is why some got theres yet others had to wait a bit longer.

As for height, my 2nd is 12 inches

ShaneG.

You mean 11" high?
I have 1 copy 11" high that I got from Mike. My other copes are 11 1/4" high. The bottom yellow border is taller.

So that would make the 11 1/4" copies 2nd Alphas and the 11" copies 2nd Betas? The problem is there is no accurate way to prove that? Mike, did you get your 2nd printings late in the order process?

AdderMcOne, at 282mm, that places your copy exactly half way between the two 2nd printings I have. If your height is correct at 11 1/8" then we now have a third 2nd printing variation. Can you confirm this?

If this is truely the case, I think we have to accept that with modern print on demand there can be wide differences in just a single print run without any distinction between the printings. For all we know there could be a fourth and fifth 2nd printing all with different heights, widths and colouring tone.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:48 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:You mean 11" high?
I have 1 copy 11" high that I got from Mike. My other copes are 11 1/4" high. The bottom yellow border is taller.

So that would make the 11 1/4" copies 2nd Alphas and the 11" copies 2nd Betas? The problem is there is no accurate way to prove that? Mike, did you get your 2nd printings late in the order process?

AdderMcOne, at 282mm, that places your copy exactly half way between the two 2nd printings I have. If your height is correct at 11 1/8" then we now have a third 2nd printing variation. Can you confirm this?

If this is truely the case, I think we have to accept that with modern print on demand there can be wide differences in just a single print run without any distinction between the printings. For all we know there could be a fourth and fifth 2nd printing all with different heights, widths and colouring tone.

I have four copies....all are 11 high except for one that is 11 1/4.  All were bought at the same time from Goodman!  I bought them very early in the ordering stage. Weird.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:58 pm 

Badmike wrote:
I have four copies....all are 11 high except for one that is 11 1/4.  All were bought at the same time from Goodman!  I bought them very early in the ordering stage. Weird.

Mike B.

I have 25 copies at 11 1/4" and 1 copy at 11". I doubt we cal assign Alpha status with any real accuracy. My initial presumption was that the 11" copy was the Alpha have bought my larger copies as soon as NKG listed their stock (I bet they won't make that mistake again). I presumed NKG had the most recent stock, hense my fears at the time that a third printing had occured and not been disclosed.

But Shane's testement conflicts and your order was mixed. Is there a difference in the blue tones of the maps within the bifold between your two different height copies?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:11 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:I have 25 copies at 11 1/4" and 1 copy at 11". I doubt we cal assign Alpha status with any real accuracy. My initial presumption was that the 11" copy was the Alpha have bought my larger copies as soon as NKG listed their stock (I bet they won't make that mistake again). I presumed NKG had the most recent stock, hense my fears at the time that a third printing had occured and not been disclosed.

But Shane's testement conflicts and your order was mixed. Is there a difference in the blue tones of the maps within the bifold between your two different height copies?

No difference in any blue tones.  Is there one between the one you got from me and the others you purchased? Ian, on further examination, the taller one is NOT 11 1/4, but maybe 11 1/8.  The oddball one is just barely taller than the other three.  Perhaps just some minor printing variation???

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:29 pm 

Yeah and let me correct mine..it is 11" (measured from the 1 inch mark to get a correct measurement and so goofed when I typed that it came to 12 inches yet forgot to subtract the 1")

As for color difference I'd have to see examples as I only have 1 2nd. Course do either of these match a 1st? I should probably check mine, but shall have to be tommorrow.

oh well much more time before the other play off game starts, so it appears that my 2nd print has a much darker blue for the map then the 1st's if that means anything for this disscussion.

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:46 pm 

Badmike wrote:
No difference in any blue tones.  Is there one between the one you got from me and the others you purchased? Ian, on further examination, the taller one is NOT 11 1/4, but maybe 11 1/8.  The oddball one is just barely taller than the other three.  Perhaps just some minor printing variation???

Mike B.

I bought 3 copies of 2nd print and 2 of them are the tall boy versions.  The are 11 1/8 inches tall.  My 3rd copy, the shorter one is probably 10.8 inches tall.  The height difference is almost 3/8 of an inch and I don't see any difference in the blue.  I ordered my copies a couple of days before the end of the buying period.

Looking at the cover of my short copy, it looks like a bad cut job - the border is definitely not even going left to right.  On the left, the bottom yellow border is 1/8 thick and at the right it is 1/4.

I'm just wondering how many covers would have been printed on the same sheet?  If the were large sheets then for each tall copy there should be a short copy.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:28 am 

I can confirm mine as the 11 1/8 size (on conversion  :) )

I've got four from the second print all the same size. though these were ordered as soon as John said he was going to reprint it.

Colour inside the cover on the maps is the same as in the originals.

"Don't tempt me, I can resist anything but temptation"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:56 pm 

So we have 3 different sizes at least? I reckon they just used more than one press and more than one cutting machine, and what we're looking at is a combination of different batches as they were assembled, cut and boxed.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:18 pm 

25 copies!!!  Wow.  I reckon that was a good buy - although you will have to wait a wee while till they hit $200 each.  

I bought 3 and they are all 282mm high - ordered on the last day.  They were delayed in arriving and Joe emailed me with  "We had a hiccup when some of the order arrived in damaged condition from the
printer" so that is some evidence that mine might be the later printing.

*** edited to add that my original 1st prints seem to have a very very slightly darker ink on page 1 than the reprints (or it could be my eyes  :D ).

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:53 pm 

I've taken your lead, Mike, and dropped the price to under $50.

** expired/removed eBay auction **

PreviousNext