Goodman Games - AD&D GenCon DCC 12.5 special...
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:06 am 

It was a relist. The original listing had a $100 openbing bid and no-one bid, so he dropped the opening bid for the relist. I expected to have some competition though. If he'd just gone for a single listing at $9.99 it would probabably have gone for over $80.

Anyone got a spare DCC #3.5 for sale?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:22 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:It was a relist. The original listing had a $100 openbing bid and no-one bid, so he dropped the opening bid for the relist. I expected to have some competition though. If he'd just gone for a single listing at $9.99 it would probabably have gone for over $80.

Anyone got a spare DCC #3.5 for sale?

No kidding.  Anyone have one, period?  I haven't seen one on Ebay in awhile. No telling what one would go for in an open auction at this point....!

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:11 am 

Badmike wrote
No kidding. Anyone have one, period? I haven't seen one on Ebay in awhile. No telling what one would go for in an open auction at this point....!

I picked up copies of 0, 3.5 & 20.5 from a visitor here back at the start of November. 8)  

Was what I thought a very good price. :D

"Don't tempt me, I can resist anything but temptation"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:16 pm 

Badmike wrote:No kidding. Anyone have one, period? I haven't seen one on Ebay in awhile. No telling what one would go for in an open auction at this point....!

I only have the PDF.

Seems as though $50 is the market value forDCC #12.5 1E. Maybe the extra print runs (there were at least three but I bet you Goodman Games won't disclose any info on that), and the PDF for sale will keep the price capped.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:44 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:
I only have the PDF.

Seems as though $50 is the market value forDCC #12.5 1E. Maybe the extra print runs (there were at least three but I bet you Goodman Games won't disclose any info on that), and the PDF for sale will keep the price capped.

I would tend to agree (obviously). My floating the prices in the $125, $100 and $75 range brought nothing, while a lowering to $50 brought an immediate sale.  So I think the price (for the present) is pretty much set at that amount.  Also keeping a close eye on Bom's 17.5 up for sale now:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:34 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:
I only have the PDF.

3 extra print runs, I thought there was only the 1st and 2nd printings!!  When did the 3rd and 4thprint runs occur?

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:50 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:3 extra print runs, I thought there was only the 1st and 2nd printings!!  When did the 3rd and 4thprint runs occur?

Three print runs total that I know of at present....
1st printing with incorrect numbering rushed out for GenCon (about 60 copies)
2 different versions of the 2nd Printing. Corrected numbering on the maps. Between the two '2nd printings' there appears to be no difference at all in the content that I can decern. However, there is about a quarter inch difference in the height between the two, and a difference in the colour saturation tone of the blue in the map. Clearly this is not a difference just in the map cover though, as the books also differ in height. Presumably Goodman games ordered X quantity from the printer and to fulfil the order, the printer used two separate machines with differenced in the cut height and the colour calibration between the two presses. As both the '2nd printings' come from very reputable sources, there is no doubt of their authenticity. But also no way of saying which copy preceeds which other without GG commenting on the difference.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:31 pm 

Badmike wrote:
I would tend to agree (obviously). My floating the prices in the $125, $100 and $75 range brought nothing, while a lowering to $50 brought an immediate sale.  So I think the price (for the present) is pretty much set at that amount.  

Mike B.

Thanks for the sale ...I look forward to seeing it when it arrives.  I just narrowly decided to buy it at that price though.  Had I known you had more I would have waited.     :wink:   As it is I would have felt bad losing it to someone else for $50 while waiting to save a further $10-$20.  It has some extra content over the 3.5E version, making it interesting to have if you buy DCC modules.  So that was the real draw for getting it, not the current scarcity, the printing,  or the 1E conversion.

The DCC 20.5 is a different story ...I don't have that one either and saw the auction.  But I refrained from bidding as I've heard several people say the module is not very good story wise.  That and the seller listed a DCC 12.5 as "rare" when it was only the common 3.5E version.  Little things like that and his $200 BIN just rubbed me the wrong way on a module that I am already not enthusiastic about getting.

I agree DCC 3.5 is the one to look for ...it's got the Otis cover, the Arneson story, and as far as i know no one has a stash of them waiting to sell.  I'd prefer waiting for one of those to come up, instead hitting a $200 BIN for a 20.5.   DCC 17.5 is a close 2nd, as it has some tie in with DCC 17, which is a good story in it's own right.  I'd value those two as worth getting at collector's prices, while 12.5 1E and 20.5 I'd be willing to wait a bit for.

Cheers!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:36 pm 

islestrike wrote:
Thanks for the sale ...I look forward to seeing it when it arrives.  I just narrowly decided to buy it at that price though.  Had I known you had more I would have waited.     :wink:   As it is I would have felt bad losing it to someone else for $50 while waiting to save a further $10-$20.  It has some extra content over the 3.5E version, making it interesting to have if you buy DCC modules.  So that was the real draw for getting it, not the current scarcity, the printing,  or the 1E conversion.

I only have a very limited amount of copies...and they aren't going to go below $50, I think that's the accepted amount at this point.  The limited editions aren't getting any less limited!!!

The DCC 20.5 is a different story ...I don't have that one either and saw the auction.  But I refrained from bidding as I've heard several people say the module is not very good story wise.  That and the seller listed a DCC 12.5 as "rare" when it was only the common 3.5E version.  Little things like that and his $200 BIN just rubbed me the wrong way on a module that I am already not enthusiastic about getting

Well, it's not a good module.  You might be able to find it someday cheaper.

I agree DCC 3.5 is the one to look for ...it's got the Otis cover, the Arneson story, and as far as i know no one has a stash of them waiting to sell.  I'd prefer waiting for one of those to come up, instead hitting a $200 BIN for a 20.5.   DCC 17.5 is a close 2nd, as it has some tie in with DCC 17, which is a good story in it's own right.  I'd value those two as worth getting at collector's prices, while 12.5 1E and 20.5 I'd be willing to wait a bit for.

Cheers!

17.5 IMO is actually a pretty cool adventure, and I would concur it's one of the more valuable limited editions because when it was first offered, it kind of just slid on by everyone.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:12 pm 

Badmike wrote:
17.5 IMO is actually a pretty cool adventure, and I would concur it's one of the more valuable limited editions because when it was first offered, it kind of just slid on by everyone.

Mike B.

One of those rare instances of dumb luck on my part.  8)

Let mirth prevail!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:08 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Three print runs total that I know of at present....
1st printing with incorrect numbering rushed out for GenCon (about 60 copies)
2 different versions of the 2nd Printing. Corrected numbering on the maps. Between the two '2nd printings' there appears to be no difference at all in the content that I can decern. However, there is about a quarter inch difference in the height between the two, and a difference in the colour saturation tone of the blue in the map. Clearly this is not a difference just in the map cover though, as the books also differ in height. Presumably Goodman games ordered X quantity from the printer and to fulfil the order, the printer used two separate machines with differenced in the cut height and the colour calibration between the two presses. As both the '2nd printings' come from very reputable sources, there is no doubt of their authenticity. But also no way of saying which copy preceeds which other without GG commenting on the difference.

Wow, how do you figure something like this out?  Did you talk with the Goodman games folks?

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:30 pm 

bombadil wrote:
One of those rare instances of dumb luck on my part.  8)

Ditto, I don't even remember why in particular I picked up a few copies.  I think Ian got one from me for something like 20 bucks before I realized how hard they were going to be to find... :roll:

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:45 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:Wow, how do you figure something like this out?  Did you talk with the Goodman games folks?

No. I have two different versions of the 'goldenrod' 2nd printing. They are both from reputable dealers, and neither of them have the map printing errors of the 1st printing. As Goodman Games say there was only a single reprinting to correct the map for general release, and I have two different versions, the only logical deduction that accounts for these differences is is that the printer ran off the print run on two different machines.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:55 pm 

If I recall correctly (I think it is posted in the Goodman Games forum somewhere), when the 2nd printing was received from the printer a number of copies were damaged.  Consequently, more needed to be printed and some orders where shipped out later.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:56 pm 

Mars wrote:If I recall correctly (I think it is posted in the Goodman Games forum somewhere), when the 2nd printing was received from the printer a number of copies were damaged.  Consequently, more needed to be printed and some orders where shipped out later.

Yep, this was the response I got when I asked were my copy was at the time. So the '2nd' was printed at two different times. Not regarding color since that would be hard to compare to a picture, but what other factors are there in these to look for (since with mine being the last batch to be printed, this could thus be figured out in printing order).

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:59 pm 

There is about a quarter inch difference in height between the two batches in that order. The front cover colour is identical although there is more yellow border top and bottom on the larger book. There biggest difference is in the colour of the blue of the map within the bifold. The blue is a lot deeper in one than in the other.

I will post photos when I get back to Scotland. As they seem to have been from the same order, I presume they are both to be called '2nd printings'. I suspect with this particular 'limited edition' there will be a future official third printing.

As regards the ones you have, Shane, if they received your package returned undelivered, it's possible they shipped them back to you? Can you be sure you have 2nd Beta Printings and not 2nd Alpha Printings?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:09 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:As regards the ones you have, Shane, if they received your package returned undelivered, it's possible they shipped them back to you? Can you be sure you have 2nd Beta Printings and not 2nd Alpha Printings?

No, they never sent it..the response I got was that there was a problem with a portion of them and that is why some got theres yet others had to wait a bit longer.

As for height, my 2nd is 12 inches

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:32 am 

So the 282mm size ones would be the 2nd 'Alphas'?

"Don't tempt me, I can resist anything but temptation"

PreviousNext