Goodman Games - AD&D GenCon DCC 12.5 special...
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:27 am 

tacojohn4547 wrote:Hi Guys,

Grodog asked for a little assistance in distinguishing between the true 1st printing and the 2nd printing of the Goodman Games DCC #12.5 1E modules.  My comments will be limited to those two print versions of the 1E module - I don't think anyone here is asking about the 3.5 E version of DCC #12.5.

As far as I can tell, and I have both printings right in front of me now, the modules are indistinguishable from the outside.  Same art, same text, same goldenrod border around the front cover.  Both printings have the yellow GenCon 2006 starburst on the front.  Both printings have the ENnie medallion and "Nominee, Best Adventure 2006 Gen Con ENnie Awards" located in the lower right-hand corner of the front cover.  

The majority of the differences between the two printings, which will become apparent if you read the module and refer back to the dungeon's map, occur on the 2-page spread map that is laid out on the inside of the removable cover.  

When we were working through the 1E conversion, the author Harley Stroh and I went back to his original manuscript and added back in the five rooms that were edited out of (excluded from) the final 3.5 version.  Those additional rooms begin with room 1-14 and continue through room 1-18.  In the body of the module text, then, we renumbered the rooms beginning with room 1-14.  So, room 1-14 in the 3.5 E version became 1-19 in the 1E version.  That renumbering is consistent with both printings.

Where the differences between the two 1E versions crops up is that the cartographer missed renumbering the last four rooms on the 1E map.  So, on the true first printing version, there are two each of the following rooms on the map: 1-17, 1-18 and 1-19.  Plus, there is a room 1-18A when that room should have been room 1-23A to match the module text.  

On the second printing version, the map renumbering has been corrected and matches the module text.  

Thanks for the info!  That should be easy enough to spot for collectors. Unfortunately, the lack of difference from the outside means the potential collector must ask the dreaded question: "Is there a room 1-23A on the map?"  
 I have a theory that either version is going to be so hard to find, and that this information is only going to be disseminated to collectors on forums like this, that eventually it won't matter to the casual Ebay buyer...

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:17 am 

Well I'll take one of those then, Mike. :D

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:46 am 

tacojohn4547 wrote:Beyond that, there are a few typos that were caught in the module text, but they were few and far between.  I think Joseph was going to correct the typos in the second printing 1E version.  I honestly haven't checked on these personally as they were very minor and didn't affect the playout of the adventure whatsoever.  

I've been going through both of my copies, comparing the text line for line.  I had hoped to post a detailed comparison by now, but have just been too swamped.  Maybe in the near future...

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:01 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Well I'll take one of those then, Mike. :D

Ian, you are the smart one my lad...if you hadn't of bought that when you did, I would have raised the price later tonight  :D   Good thinking, I guess you were along the same lines I was...there is virtually no difference between printings that anyone who is not a uber-collector will care about.  Thus, the true value is closer to $100 a pop than $50....and I predict this is going to get even higher in the near future.  

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:25 am 

Seems to me like the one with the typos and room numbering corrected will be more sought after except by the die hard collector.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:40 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Seems to me like the one with the typos and room numbering corrected will be more sought after except by the die hard collector.

Anyone who isn't a die hard collector and connected online (i.e. regular reader of The Acaeum or Dragonsfoot) won't even know there is a difference.  Which is why either version is going to command a high price in the future.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:36 am 

I notice that 17.5 War of the Witch Queen has been released in PDF form.
Was the original tourney released as 1E and is this a d20 revision, or was this one always d20?

http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=6829&

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:47 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:
I notice that 17.5 War of the Witch Queen has been released in PDF form.  Was the original tourney released as 1E and is this a d20 revision, or was this one always d20?

DCC #17.5 War of the Witch Queen was written for d20 and was only released for d20.  

Interesting side bar #1: This is one of the other DCC's that I'd like to do a conversion to 1E for Goodman Games for a future convention release(Gen Con?).  However, only time will tell whether we will see this 1E conversion in print.  

Interesting side bar #2: The author for DCC #17.5 is the same author that did DCC #12.5:  Harley Stroh, one of Goodman Games' most prolific writers and the DCC product line manager.  

tacojohn4547

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:19 am 

Howdy John,

Hey what was the print run for the 2nd print of 12.5?

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:50 am 

tacojohn4547 wrote:mbassoc2003 wrote:

DCC #17.5 War of the Witch Queen was written for d20 and was only released for d20.  

Interesting side bar #1: This is one of the other DCC's that I'd like to do a conversion to 1E for Goodman Games for a future convention release(Gen Con?).  However, only time will tell whether we will see this 1E conversion in print.  

Interesting side bar #2: The author for DCC #17.5 is the same author that did DCC #12.5:  Harley Stroh, one of Goodman Games' most prolific writers and the DCC product line manager.  

tacojohn4547

John, this time...more than 60 copies? Please?  :)

I think the market has been established since the 12.5 1st ed sold out in record time at GenCon 2006.....for limited editions, you can afford to drop a couple hundred at least on the table and expect to see them all disappear.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:33 pm 

The Collector's Trove wrote:
Hey what was the print run for the 2nd print of 12.5?

Unknown.  I suspect that it was in the 300-400 copy range, but unfortunately Goodman Games does not generally disclose print run data or sales data.  Nor do they have to.

tacojohn4547

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:43 pm 

Badmike wrote:
John, this time...more than 60 copies? Please?  :)

I think the market has been established since the 12.5 1st ed sold out in record time at GenCon 2006.....for limited editions, you can afford to drop a couple hundred at least on the table and expect to see them all disappear.  

Hey, I'm there with you.  I expected there to be a couple hundred copies at the Goodman booth on the Thursday of Gen Con.  I also expected them to be fully sold out before the booth opened on Saturday.  

And though I have no official role with Goodman Games nor any stake in the business, I would have thought a suitable minimum print run would have been quite a bit higher.  But that is armchair QBing at this point, and there's no point in that.  

If GG does any more special convention releases of DCC's converted to 1E, and if I'm involved in that project in a meaningful way, I will of course lobby for a print run in the range of 300-400 copies.  

tacojohn4547

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:54 pm 

I say keep the print runs low (< 100), but just make sure to let us know what's coming.   :D

Let mirth prevail!

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:03 pm 

What I like is that it seems quite a few people here managed to get some (of either print), so that we won't have to fight against each other on ebay to get some

i.e.  "it's mine, NO, it's mine you bugger!! - f**k off - I saw it first - ha!! well I am going to bid $x00.00 - so there, no way here comes my snipe in the last six seconds HA!! - oh Nooooooo" (sounds of wailing, weeping and heads banging off keyboards in the background), etc etc...  :wink:

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:26 pm 

I shall try and get permission next year from Goodman to purchase any GenCon DCC mods if people can't make it to the convention. Since I think I read he'd not allow someone to buy over X amount.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:50 pm 

Now that is an outstanding idea  :D

Thanks again!

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:57 pm 

Plaag wrote:I shall try and get permission next year from Goodman to purchase any GenCon DCC mods if people can't make it to the convention. Since I think I read he'd not allow someone to buy over X amount.

ShaneG.

great idea!!!

i will have some already :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:58 pm 

Dammit and there goes my evil pan to get there first and buy them all..........

:twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

PreviousNext