Goodman Games - AD&D GenCon DCC 12.5 special...
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:25 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... osi_widget

** expired/removed eBay auction **

2 different ones, no?

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:30 pm 

that stamp on the bottom right for a start...

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:41 pm 

The first auction is for the d20 version that first came out.
Actually I wonder if the starburst will be on the 2nd print for the 1E version.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:08 pm 

My 2nd printing 1e version has the gold border and starburst, I'll ping tacojohn to see if he can comment on how to tell the two editions apart.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:49 pm 

Plaag wrote:
The winner's name is not familiar to me so not sure if it is a member on here, but hopefully they know about the 2 printings.

ShaneG.

Comparing that copy to my 2nd print 1st ed copy, I can see absolutely no differences. We need someone with both to post any differences, as they are probably internal only...

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:53 pm 

red_bus wrote:I might add that it is a fantastic, clever and dramatic module.  For anyone who is playing with their beloved characters I imagine it would be truly terrifying - on a Tomb of Horrors scale...  :twisted:

By the way Allen - did you think that the 1E characters had too many hit points?

It looks like all the pregens are at max hps....12th paladin at 107 hps (no Con bonus), 12 cleric 90 hps (15 con), etc.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:00 pm 

You know, unless the seller of an "authentic" 1st print 1st edition 12.5 was one of the Acaeum members,  I don't know if I would purchase one.  So far it looks as if the differences are going to be minor and not apparant.  I predict a slew of these will go for ridulous prices in the next few months....

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:03 pm 

Badmike wrote:You know, unless the seller of an "authentic" 1st print 1st edition 12.5 was one of the Acaeum members,  I don't know if I would purchase one.  So far it looks as if the differences are going to be minor and not apparant.  I predict a slew of these will go for ridulous prices in the next few months....

Mike B.

Hey, I might be willing to part with one of my authentic two for the right price if anyone might be interested. :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:26 pm 

Goodman only printed a few additional copies of the Gen Con 2006 adventure to appease those who were screwed due to the small print run on the first print.  Based on the info I had they would be identical with no differences.  Just a second print run.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:32 pm 

dbartman wrote:Goodman only printed a few additional copies of the Gen Con 2006 adventure to appease those who were screwed due to the small print run on the first print.  Based on the info I had they would be identical with no differences.  Just a second print run.

According to Joe Goodman on the Goodman games website, there was going to be some slight differences, i.e spelling corrections & other minor editing corrections:

http://www.goodmangames.com/forums/view ... sc&start=0

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:31 am 

Back in Sept. I asked Joe about what the changes might be (and also about the high pregen. HP)  8O

The only corrections are some changes to the map areas.
With the addition of new locations in this conversion, some of the old map
numbers should have changed. They change in the 2nd printing.

The author of the conversion, Jon Hershberger, is active on the Goodman
Games forums. That would be a great place to ask about the rationale
behind the hit points (and any other questions you may have).

We have no plans to do more 1E conversions in the immediate future,
but it might be something fun to do for future Gen Cons.

So on ebay - it will prob. come down to Q&A on auction to tell the difference between to tell between the 1st Prints and the 2nd Prints

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:28 am 

red_bus wrote:Back in Sept. I asked Joe about what the changes might be (and also about the high pregen. HP)  8O

The only corrections are some changes to the map areas.
With the addition of new locations in this conversion, some of the old map
numbers should have changed. They change in the 2nd printing.

The author of the conversion, Jon Hershberger, is active on the Goodman
Games forums. That would be a great place to ask about the rationale
behind the hit points (and any other questions you may have).

We have no plans to do more 1E conversions in the immediate future,
but it might be something fun to do for future Gen Cons.

So on ebay - it will prob. come down to Q&A on auction to tell the difference between to tell between the 1st Prints and the 2nd Prints

That is very interesting. Just IMO, but I think to the average consumer/collector, the entire idea there are two prints to this module might not even register if they are buying one.  If they are selling, I CERTAINLY predict they won't differntiate.  I would be very, very wary of buying an authentic 1st print from anyone not an Acaeum member who is selling one online; in most cases I doubt they would be selling the real thing (unknowingly in most cases, but I don't put it past unscrupulous sellers to misrepresent).  
  Also, because of this lack of there being an outer distinguishing features, I think either copy will start selling for the ridiculous totals we are seeing for limited edition Goodman Games stuff.  A year from now, some collector won't care if he is getting a 1st or 2nd print of the 1st edition 12.5, they just want a copy.  I bet this will hit the $100 mark pretty quick, as it has already sold out per the website (seeing as they were made to order, not a surprise).

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:59 am 

just glad i got one when shane snagged a load of em at the con.

no fighting over this one for once :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:15 pm 

Badmike wrote:

That is very interesting. Just IMO, but I think to the average consumer/collector, the entire idea there are two prints to this module might not even register if they are buying one.  If they are selling, I CERTAINLY predict they won't differntiate.  I would be very, very wary of buying an authentic 1st print from anyone not an Acaeum member who is selling one online; in most cases I doubt they would be selling the real thing (unknowingly in most cases, but I don't put it past unscrupulous sellers to misrepresent).  
  Also, because of this lack of there being an outer distinguishing features, I think either copy will start selling for the ridiculous totals we are seeing for limited edition Goodman Games stuff.  A year from now, some collector won't care if he is getting a 1st or 2nd print of the 1st edition 12.5, they just want a copy.  I bet this will hit the $100 mark pretty quick, as it has already sold out per the website (seeing as they were made to order, not a surprise).

Mike B.

Well I put one of my 2nd print 12.5 copies up for sale.  It will be interesting to see if I get any bites or not, and what kind of questions I'm asked.  I think I made it obvious it is not an initial Gen Con print, if anyone finds it confusing let me know. The problem is I don't want to include too much information, I think that confuses people as much as not enough...if you drone on and on and on in the description, buyers go elsewhere.   Let me know what you think.

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Mike B.

PS I already adjusted one line in the description to make it more obvious it is a later print....but I have a theory it might not matter to most casual collectors, we'll see....

NTRPGCON

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:52 pm 

Good on you Mike - looks good.  
Be interesting to see what happens.

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:22 am 

Hi Guys,

Grodog asked for a little assistance in distinguishing between the true 1st printing and the 2nd printing of the Goodman Games DCC #12.5 1E modules.  My comments will be limited to those two print versions of the 1E module - I don't think anyone here is asking about the 3.5 E version of DCC #12.5.

As far as I can tell, and I have both printings right in front of me now, the modules are indistinguishable from the outside.  Same art, same text, same goldenrod border around the front cover.  Both printings have the yellow GenCon 2006 starburst on the front.  Both printings have the ENnie medallion and "Nominee, Best Adventure 2006 Gen Con ENnie Awards" located in the lower right-hand corner of the front cover.  

The majority of the differences between the two printings, which will become apparent if you read the module and refer back to the dungeon's map, occur on the 2-page spread map that is laid out on the inside of the removable cover.  

When we were working through the 1E conversion, the author Harley Stroh and I went back to his original manuscript and added back in the five rooms that were edited out of (excluded from) the final 3.5 version.  Those additional rooms begin with room 1-14 and continue through room 1-18.  In the body of the module text, then, we renumbered the rooms beginning with room 1-14.  So, room 1-14 in the 3.5 E version became 1-19 in the 1E version.  That renumbering is consistent with both printings.

Where the differences between the two 1E versions crops up is that the cartographer missed renumbering the last four rooms on the 1E map.  So, on the true first printing version, there are two each of the following rooms on the map: 1-17, 1-18 and 1-19.  Plus, there is a room 1-18A when that room should have been room 1-23A to match the module text.  

On the second printing version, the map renumbering has been corrected and matches the module text.  

Beyond that, there are a few typos that were caught in the module text, but they were few and far between.  I think Joseph was going to correct the typos in the second printing 1E version.  I honestly haven't checked on these personally as they were very minor and didn't affect the playout of the adventure whatsoever.  

I did check the credits page and the d20 license page, to see if Joseph had added a "second printing" anywhere.  I did not find any such distinguishing verbiage.

xxxxxxxxxxxx

As for the max hit points on the pregen PC's, that was held over from the playtesting that was done.  Here is the rationale.  When I worked up the pregens, I wasn't sure where to have them start at for HP since the dungeon doesn't exist in a bubble by itself.  Most veteran players would have their PC's fully healed up before heading to the dungeon, but the PC's have to theoretically travel through some bad territory before arriving at the site of the Iron Crypt.  No doubt they've been fighting giants or yeti or some other mountain-dwelling critters, just to get to this place.  

So, I set the full HP at max for all of the pregens, and then had the party roll some dice to determine what percentage of max HP they were going to begin the adventure at.  IIRC, what I did was have them roll a few d10's and let that determine their actual HP, using a range of 70-80% of max HP.  

tacojohn4547

I do hope you guys enjoy the module, now that it is readable and playable (that is, in 1E and not in 3.x/d20).  :wink:

I know I had fun working on the 1E conversion, and running it at Gen Con was a hoot.  Getting to meet the author at Gen Con, after working on the conversion, was a great experience.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:27 am 

tacojohn4547 wrote:Hi Guys,

Grodog asked for a little assistance in distinguishing between the true 1st printing and the 2nd printing of the Goodman Games DCC #12.5 1E modules.  My comments will be limited to those two print versions of the 1E module - I don't think anyone here is asking about the 3.5 E version of DCC #12.5.

As far as I can tell, and I have both printings right in front of me now, the modules are indistinguishable from the outside.  Same art, same text, same goldenrod border around the front cover.  Both printings have the yellow GenCon 2006 starburst on the front.  Both printings have the ENnie medallion and "Nominee, Best Adventure 2006 Gen Con ENnie Awards" located in the lower right-hand corner of the front cover.  

The majority of the differences between the two printings, which will become apparent if you read the module and refer back to the dungeon's map, occur on the 2-page spread map that is laid out on the inside of the removable cover.  

When we were working through the 1E conversion, the author Harley Stroh and I went back to his original manuscript and added back in the five rooms that were edited out of (excluded from) the final 3.5 version.  Those additional rooms begin with room 1-14 and continue through room 1-18.  In the body of the module text, then, we renumbered the rooms beginning with room 1-14.  So, room 1-14 in the 3.5 E version became 1-19 in the 1E version.  That renumbering is consistent with both printings.

Where the differences between the two 1E versions crops up is that the cartographer missed renumbering the last four rooms on the 1E map.  So, on the true first printing version, there are two each of the following rooms on the map: 1-17, 1-18 and 1-19.  Plus, there is a room 1-18A when that room should have been room 1-23A to match the module text.  

On the second printing version, the map renumbering has been corrected and matches the module text.  

Thanks for the info!  That should be easy enough to spot for collectors. Unfortunately, the lack of difference from the outside means the potential collector must ask the dreaded question: "Is there a room 1-23A on the map?"  
 I have a theory that either version is going to be so hard to find, and that this information is only going to be disseminated to collectors on forums like this, that eventually it won't matter to the casual Ebay buyer...

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:17 am 

Well I'll take one of those then, Mike. :D

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

PreviousNext