Newbie Bidders
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:30 pm 

Man, when I see a newbie bidder bidding like crazy on some obsure but rare d&d item auction, I get the hell out of there because I dont know if it is a shill bid or just that sometimes newbies are willing to pay anything for something they think they really want. Anyone else feel this way also?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:49 am 

yes and no. and someone else might want you to freak out without bids

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:19 am 

Most people bid high for "something they think they really want". Especially if it's a difficult to find variety of item  :wink:

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:30 am 

*shrugs* It may or may not be shill bidding. I've seen some links from this site to some pretty clumsy shill bidding in the past.

I think the majority of times is just two noobs beating the snot out of each other: A seller's dream (so long as they pay, LOL)

I remember when I was new to eBay, I got into a 4-way slugfest over a Twilight: 2000 lot. Every 12 hours during the 7-day auction, I made sure I was on top. I won, but it was a over a heap of bodies. And I paid a ridiculous total. Ah, those were the days.  ;>)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:29 pm 

What bugs me is when I'm after something relatively obscure or specific, but not necessarily valuable, and I still hit a wall of newbie impatience.  

For example, I might be looking for a 6th printing DMG, and have taken the time to inquire and confirm it's the exact printing I'm after.  These aren't particularly valuable, and I have no interest in paying a premium for one.  The newbie is looking for an "oldschool DMG", and they happen to pick that auction to decide they gotta have one.  :roll:

It seems to be happening more frequently lately.

YIM  

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:50 am 

Afrika Corps wrote:Man, when I see a newbie bidder bidding like crazy on some obsure but rare d&d item auction...

That's probably me - bidding like crazy with a red mist descending in front of my eyes..  I MUST have that one...  :D

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:17 am 

Guilty as charged--although I have restrained myself much more lately (especially after paying $100.00  8O  for a Silver Anniversary box set missing some items :roll:, but not the modules (especially L3 Deep Dwarven Delve).   My bank account is suing me for lack of companionship  :D  [i.e. no money]!!  Just remember, at one time everyone was a "newbie"!

The other side of the coin is when you win an auction for a large lot of modules; as an example, I won two separate auctions--one for 13 modules for about $50.00, one for nine modules for about $45.00.  I wasn't too concerned about what shape they were in, but all 22 were what the Acaeum board might call "good" to "very good" condition.  I felt like I  got very lucky in the auction, not getting sniped at the last minute. . . .

It is getting harder not only to find good deals on 1e or early 2e D&D/AD&D, but at a decent price ($90-100 for H1 Bloodstone Pass   :?:  :?:  :!: ).