Tower Of Blood - Any New Updates? Shipping Times?
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:55 am 

Thanks for your continued kind thoughts and support for Heather and I folks, we do appreciate it.

I spoke to Rob briefly last night, but we should have a chance to do some more in-depth discussions around these issues tonight.  I'll let you know where things stand as soon as I'm able.  

FWIW, though, I doubt that Rob's going to go the route of the $500 'artificial' collectible---he knows that while the Acaeum fans and collectors have deep pockets, that they're the exception to the norm of the standard fanbase, and that it's the broader base of the common fans who will make or break PPP in the long run.  

Xaxaxe, you (and anyone else), can buy a standard version of Cairn of the Skeleton King for $14.95 + $4 shipping (as long as copies last, of course; there are only about 40 or so left).  Details @ http://www.pied-piper-publishing.com/in ... leton_king

Also, I'm not sure that I understand your point about Biffington's CotSK, Xaxaxe:  Rob did write it, not Biffington, so you lost me on that one??

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:48 am 

grodog wrote:Also, I'm not sure that I understand your point about Biffington's CotSK, Xaxaxe:  Rob did write it, not Biffington, so you lost me on that one??

RJK is a brand name in the RPG industry and therefore his name will move D&D modules off the shelves faster than Biff Buffington or any other unknown author even if the content were verbatim.  It's the same in any business where celebrity authors or pitchmen/women create more brand awareness and sell more of a product than an "unknown."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:15 am 

grodog wrote:
FWIW, though, I doubt that Rob's going to go the route of the $500 'artificial' collectible---he knows that while the Acaeum fans and collectors have deep pockets, that they're the exception to the norm of the standard fanbase, and that it's the broader base of the common fans who will make or break PPP in the long run.  

This is quite a relief to hear.  Too often lately I have heard rumblings in the RPG industry concerning the "instant collectible", a marketing ploy that all but destroyed comic book collecting for about 15 years (only recently has it shown signs of resurgence).  The collectibility of such created items is suspect, and the greed, avariciousness and "got to have it any any cost" mentality that permeates these endeavors is very short sighted, IMO.  While certainly limited edition printings are in this vein, at least at this time the availability has been open to ALL collectors both due to price of the item and numbers of items available (the 12.5 1st situation was rectified the way it should have been with a later printing).  I can see placing a premium price or extremely limited printing on a item as a way of raising capital; however, this should always be followed by a later, cheaper printing that can easily be distinguished from the earlier presumably more valuable limited edition.  It doesn't do anyone in this hobby any good to have the hoarding mentality take over to such an extent that documents of historical significance are sealed away in mylar encased containers never to be revealed.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:26 pm 

grodog wrote:Also, I'm not sure that I understand your point about Biffington's CotSK, Xaxaxe:  Rob did write it, not Biffington, so you lost me on that one??

Pretty much what Mike B. said a couple of posts above — leery of paying for the brand name.

grodog wrote:Xaxaxe, you (and anyone else), can buy a standard version of Cairn of the Skeleton King for $14.95 + $4 shipping

It was a featured item for awhile at NobleKnight, too, and I was thisclose to pulling the trigger before some other stuff came up.

I'll probably get one, soon-ish ... at this point, curiousity is taking over. :)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:45 pm 

I would also like to chime in that I am all for a print version versus a CD version.  I really do not like pdfs at all.  That said though $500 and/or  a print run of anything less than 100 to 150 would be a huge turnoff for me and I would very likely avoid it like the plague. $500 IMO is patently ridiculous.  A print run of 12 would also be as equally ridiculous and even if it was more reasonably priced I would even bother putting my name in.  If I want to play the lottery, I can do so for a lot cheaper than $500 by simply taking a 5 minute walk to my local convience store.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:37 pm 

bclarkie wrote:I would also like to chime in that I am all for a print version versus a CD version.  I really do not like pdfs at all.  That said though $500 and/or  a print run of anything less than 100 to 150 would be a huge turnoff for me and I would very likely avoid it like the plague. $500 IMO is patently ridiculous.  A print run of 12 would also be as equally ridiculous and even if it was more reasonably priced I would even bother putting my name in.  If I want to play the lottery, I can do so for a lot cheaper than $500 by simply taking a 5 minute walk to my local convience store.

Part of the appeal of the product is the "old style" look and feel of the item, which IMO Cairn does quite well.  A pdf product really eliminates that from the equation.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:38 pm 

i hate PDF, pure and simple. i have a few things in that format, and they are still sat there, waiting for me to read them. just doesnt do it for me at all. i like something i can take hold of, sit in a chair and read - just as its meant to be.

whilst i am willing to dip into my pocket from time to time to acquire something i would really like, that is a rare thing and lately its getting more rare too :D

most ppl have limited funds and one always comes to a point where there are other things happening in your life, where money spent on RPG material takes a total back burner when it comes to the big items. that being said though, if something interesting is around, i still get it if i can afford it.

i would really love to have a bottle city item i have to say. $500 makes it literally impossible for me to have it and fwiw i wouldnt ever spend that. it isnt because i dont support Rob. i have advocated on his behalf aplenty, as i like the guy, i like his material and i would like PPP to do very well and if the price was right, i will always purchase the item in question.

something as "legendary" as bottle city, if it was going to go through the process of putting it out into the market, for me, it would make more sense to do the job right but in a way that would allow it to go to a fair part of the market and not just a very elite few.

i think having a fan-base is always important. supplying the few will always upset a fan-base, while supplying at least a decent portion of your fan-base, will always keep the interest there.

nice to see ppl airing their thoughts openly and honestly too. i think that is extremely important.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:53 am 

Interesting to see the opposition to a PDF on the premise that it would lead to bootlegging.

With the number of scanners out there, pretty much any game publication is subject to bootlegging if anyone wants to scan it.

Heck, Dragon #1 is a great example of a product that has been in PDF form for years and still has high value.

Not that I like PDF's.  Like anything (ahem) on the computer, they are nothing like the real thing.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:30 am 

Looking at it from the very basic level..

I work all day at the computer.

At the end of the day I can come home, grab whatever takes my fancy off the bookshelf and leaf through a few pages for a while then put it back. Simple.

With a PDF I have to turn on the computer, wait for it to load, make the obligatory coffee, etc etc.

I think the best part sometimes is just having it physically in your hand, with that extra sense of danger that maybe, just maybe, the coffee may spill as you take a sip!

"Don't tempt me, I can resist anything but temptation"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:26 am 

You can't replace a physical product with a digital picture of one. In a society where most people spend their entire days sitting in front of their computers, the last thing they want to do is spend the bulk of their liesure time doing it too.

I am a fan of the PDF file format. The bulk of my collection is in PDF form, maybe some 800 products or so. But every single product that is likely to be significant in my future gameplay I keep both in reference copy and play copy.

I now work almost exclusively on a tablet PC which offers the most direct interaction with the computer you can get without a neural inplant. Sitting at the gaming table, there is no way I'd accept a laptop there. We all grew up with pen and paper, poly' dice, lead figures and those skinny little modules from which the DM created months of gameplay.

That is why CAS1 and DCC12.5 work as a products and PDFs do not.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:12 pm 

I like PDF's only as historical references.

A picture of a sword.....
Owning a sword.....

A picture of a mountain....
Seeing the mountain....

A picture of Elizabeth Hurley....
Elizabeth Hurley.....

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Previous