Beyond the Mountains of Madness - Reprint
Author

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:08 pm 

As noted at Yog-Sothoth.com

Chaosium appear to have organised a new Hardback reprint of the out of print Beyond the Mountains of Madness which has been selling at high prices on ebay.

http://catalog.chaosium.com/product_inf ... 9832cf2743

It looks like a pre-order arrangement as it won't (officially) be available until the 29th of this month*.  Woo Hoo!!   :D

* of course, Chaosium's scheduling is about as reliable as mine.  Expect it some time in November.    2007  :wink:

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:18 pm 

red_bus wrote:As noted at Yog-Sothoth.com

Chaosium appear to have organised a new Hardback reprint of the out of print Beyond the Mountains of Madness which has been selling at high prices on ebay.

http://catalog.chaosium.com/product_inf ... 9832cf2743

It looks like a pre-order arrangement as it won't (officially) be available until the 29th of this month*.  Woo Hoo!!   :D

They probably god tired of seeing it sell for $100+ on Ebay and thought they should have a piece of the action...

Nice that it's in hardback...I've only read my supplement andnot played it, but being of such a telephone book size Im afraid it might fall apart.  Hopefully the HB will be made of sterner stuff.

Bus, I wouldn't rush to pre-order...IIRC the original took some odd 5+ years to come out after originally announced!

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:52 pm 

Never will understand why people will pay that much for it. Its not reall all that good. I have the original as well as Orient Express and I've been offered ridiculous prices for them.

Maraudar

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:24 pm 

Maraudar wrote:Never will understand why people will pay that much for it.

Feel the width!  :D

Let's go fly a kite

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:25 pm 

Maraudar wrote:Never will understand why people will pay that much for it. Its not reall all that good. I have the original as well as Orient Express and I've been offered ridiculous prices for them.

Maraudar

I don't know that the adventure itself is over the top spectacular in the realm of Masks of Nyarlathotep or Walker in the Wastes, but the breadth of the adventure is staggering.  Aren't there something like 50 pages of handouts with complete inventory lists of the expedition included?  I had a ball just reading the entire giant telephone book. I do like the setting quite a bit, I read Shackleford's book and have always been hooked on the antarctic.  I thought there were some pretty nifty little suprises. I would agree that the conclusion of the adventure, the ship voyage home, is a little weak.  But overall I thought it was above average at worst and near epic at best.
  Now Orient Express, I will agree with you.  As a setting accessory, it does a good job of making adventures on the Orient Express possible to referee.  As a campaign adventure, eh, not so good.  I remember writing up an entire synopsis and changes for use in running a group through it, by the time I finished I realized I would have to change so much of it that I might as well just write my own adventure anyway...so I junked the entire scenario.  Not a fan of this one.

Mike B.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:56 am 

Abserlutely Mr Mike.  e.g.; if you think that to run it you will have maybe 20 great nights of cthulhu-ey action, then the price doesn't seem so bad.  Hell, you could even split the costs with your players.  

let's see...

$90-100 / (5 people x 20 nights) = 90-100 cents (i.e. about 5p in UK currency) - a night.  

Good value methinks.

Let's go fly a kite

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:10 am 

red_bus wrote:Abserlutely Mr Mike.  e.g.; if you think that to run it you will have maybe 20 great nights of cthulhu-ey action, then the price doesn't seem so bad.  Hell, you could even split the costs with your players.  

let's see...

$90-100 / (5 people x 20 nights) = 90-100 cents (i.e. about 5p in UK currency) - a night.  

Good value methinks.

It's funny you mention cost vs use analysis; I've long held regard for items that you get above and beyond their money's worth.  I once spent an entire summer, then Thanksgiving break and Christmas break gaming a group through Masks of Nyarlathotep.  I think the original boxed set was something like $25.  Can't beat that value!!!

Mike B.