Anybody got a copy of Trouble on Janus?
Author

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:23 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:I picked them up and remember thinking they were either reprints or fakes, but I can't be sure it's the same seller. The copies of The Wanderer #1 and #2 were digest sized but typeset and printed, not A4 typewritten and photocopied, so that places them atleast into the early 90's instead of early 80's. Contents and authorship ring true, so one wonders why anyone would spend their time re-typesetting two whole issues for what could only be a little cash?

The real issue 1 has a very basic (and badly done) pic on the front cover, the fake is much nicer, also I believe that the contents of the fake issue 1 are actually the contents of the real issue 2.. the fakes seem to come out of the US BTW not the UK and are limited to traveller stuff as far as I can tell.. would love to get to the bottom of it for sure...

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:44 pm 

In which case, what's in the fake issue #2?
I have the fake issues #1 and #2 and a legit issue #3, so I'll dig them out and compare them, and post a little synopsis.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:15 am 

Just came across this item and then this thread:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

I gather this Seller has multiple copies and there is no point multiple bidding? Just wait for the next one to be listed?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:26 am 

That's the author/original publisher Robert Jennings. He wrote most of the Massconfusion stuff himself, but did also publish work by his friends. If he actually wrote this one, don't forget to ask him to sign it.

Note, he also have a number of AD&D other tourneys up. Werewolf County if pretty good if a little dark, and some of the others make for a good evening gaming. Nothing you can build a decent adventure out of, but good little diversions if you're looking for a change. I believe most of them have pregens also, and you can play most of the D&D ones on the fly with no reference to books.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:54 am 

HermitFromPluto wrote:I gather this Seller has multiple copies and there is no point multiple bidding? Just wait for the next one to be listed?

Probably no need to bid or wait for the next one to be listed.  If you message the seller you can probably buy this one and the others for $15-$20 each.  He has sold many copies of each (at least 25-30) so who knows how many he has left.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:04 am 

I won a few of his auctions a few years ago.  At the time, I believe he had all but two of the MassCon modules (one was Dungeon of Dr. Demento; I don't remember the other).  He sold me one I was looking for but didn't win for $20 plus a small shipping charge so you might contact him and get a few at once if you need more than just the one.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:12 am 

Dungeon of Dr Demento seems to be the hardest one to find. I've only seen three copies go up for sale on eBay in the past five years or so.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:22 pm 

Hey, I know something about this  :)

I just received an order from the publisher/author... I contacted him direct and purchased the 7 AD&D modules plus Trouble on Janus for $15 each... he kindly autographed the ones he wrote, and shipped them out quickly, well-packed, and inexpensively.

I've just flipped through the books and can't really offer a proper review, but they exude old-school cool... I'm looking forward to getting into them tonight!

Previous