The Dark Side of Ebay, Amazon & Abe Used Books
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 21, 2
Author

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6720
Joined: Jul 16, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 02, 2021

Post Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:14 am 
 

I have noticed certain items with jacked-up prices, particularly on Amazon.....sometimes to a factor of 10-15 times the going rate.

I think most of it is just ignorance and inexperience.  People see something jacked up and they jack up their own price.  They have no real idea of market value because they are unaware that a market exists.

Sometimes, however, you can find items on Amazon or other places where a book seller is dumping off his stock and just wants to move it.  That works out OK.

I think people worry more about feeling or looking foolish than they do about losing out on a bit more money.  No one wants to feel taken advantage of...or feel that others are laughing at him somewhere.

Mark   8)


"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

  


Active Collector

Posts: 87
Joined: Aug 15, 2004
Last Visit: Aug 28, 2019

Post Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:04 pm 
 

A little perspective is in order.

With the caveat that, yes, RPG prices are often too high on the non-eBay sites, it is important to remember that eBay ~is~ an auction site.

Probably most of the members of this forum canvas eBay several times a week scouting for deals, and are educated as to identifying good vs. bad deals, and timing bids, etc. But most important for getting the best deals on eBay is Being There. You gotta be willing to spend the time, 'cause the best deals require a bit of searching and sifting. And the best deals literally come-and-go. You have to Be There constantly.

Quoting eBay prices, and stating them as "the going rate" is a bit disingenuous. The going rate is whatever buyers and sellers agree on in any given venue. Ebay -- if you understand it, and spend time there -- is one of the cheapest venues there is.

It would be kinda like an auto wholesalers forum, where members troll auto auctions, and snap up deals like a 2006 Ford Mustang for $4995. The members may even bandy about this price as "the going rate." But any Joe Schmoe who ambles into a Ford dealership, telling the salesman that $4995 for last year's Mustang is "the going rate" is gonna get laughed out the door.

  


Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Posts: 2753
Joined: Feb 10, 2003
Last Visit: Sep 20, 2021
Location: Olde London Towne

Post Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:18 pm 
 

red_dawn wrote:Probably most of the members of this forum canvas eBay several times a week scouting for deals...


.. a day, or even for some, an hour  :wink:


Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 04, 2021

Post Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:21 pm 
 

red_dawn wrote:A little perspective is in order.

With the caveat that, yes, RPG prices are often too high on the non-eBay sites, it is important to remember that eBay ~is~ an auction site.

Probably most of the members of this forum canvas eBay several times a week scouting for deals, and are educated as to identifying good vs. bad deals, and timing bids, etc. But most important for getting the best deals on eBay is Being There. You gotta be willing to spend the time, 'cause the best deals require a bit of searching and sifting. And the best deals literally come-and-go. You have to Be There constantly.

Quoting eBay prices, and stating them as "the going rate" is a bit disingenuous. The going rate is whatever buyers and sellers agree on in any given venue. Ebay -- if you understand it, and spend time there -- is one of the cheapest venues there is.

It would be kinda like an auto wholesalers forum, where members troll auto auctions, and snap up deals like a 2006 Ford Mustang for $4995. The members may even bandy about this price as "the going rate." But any Joe Schmoe who ambles into a Ford dealership, telling the salesman that $4995 for last year's Mustang is "the going rate" is gonna get laughed out the door.


Did someone say strawman?


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  


Active Collector

Posts: 87
Joined: Aug 15, 2004
Last Visit: Aug 28, 2019

Post Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:50 pm 
 

bclarkie wrote: Did someone say strawman?


Can't dispute the message?

Attack the messenger...

:roll:

  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 04, 2021

Post Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:54 pm 
 

red_dawn wrote:
Can't dispute the message?

Attack the messenger...

:roll:


No, your post was bullshit, flat out.  Comparing someone who gets a happens to get lucky deal anywhere versus what happens on EBay and the real world everyday is bullshit.  Not much more response needed than that.


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  


Active Collector

Posts: 87
Joined: Aug 15, 2004
Last Visit: Aug 28, 2019

Post Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:36 pm 
 

bclarkie wrote:No, your post was bullshit, flat out.  Comparing someone who gets a happens to get lucky deal anywhere versus what happens on EBay and the real world everyday is bullshit.  Not much more response needed than that.


You missed my point.

I know a guy who knows a bit about cars -- I certainly don't -- and works auto auctions, both online and traditional. Because he is involved, he regularly comes across autos for auction, and quite a few good deals, some just needing a touch of work to restore. Granted, the $4995 Mustang was pretty memorable for him, just like Acaeum members can all point to a purchase that stands out in their mind. Most he buys are "deals" without the capital "D." -- Just like most eBay winnings are nice, but not remarkable.

He probably belongs to online auto forums, though I've never asked. Whatcha wanna bet the auto forum members scorn anybody foolish enough to pay full price at a dealership? Heck, everybody knows that if you buy a car at auction, you'll save, right?

The parallel is obvious, direct, and plain-as-day.

  
Previous
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 21, 2