Palladium system
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:33 am 

ciao guys, who is able to briefly explain me this gaming system?

** expired/removed eBay auction **

does it worth?

this seems to be a 2nd edition... and what about the 1st? is it smtg collectible?

tnx and ciaooo

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:19 pm 

Yes, there are Palladium collectors, aia.

I have a first edition and they are not hard to get and usually not very expensive, so don't pay a premium for a second edition.

Palladium worked on the philosophy that more is better.  They pumped out large numbers of very large products that are of medium game quality.

For instance, the second installment of The Palladium Roleplaying Game was called, Book II:  Old Ones....

*stands up and walks to bookshelf to double check*

Yes, that is correct.

There are many maps of towns in a medieval kingdom inside this book, but the maps have all been generated using the crude computer graphics of the early 80's.  The towns are groupings of squares (that might actually work for table-top purposes) but not really nice drawings.

The other Palladium fantasy items are quite similar, with races and situations unique to the Palladium fantasy world.

(Some call this world "Palladia," but that is not the company-sanctioned name.)

Palladium is the child of Kevin Siembieda, who was an artist for Judges Guild.  Had Judges Guild survived, they might have gone one to become something very similar to Palladium.

Palladium's really memorable contribution to roleplaying games was Rifts, a science-fantasy mix based upon our own world after a cataclysm had mixed up parallel worlds.  There were approximately 1.3 million different Rifts supplements....and I understand that fans either love or hate the game, with very few neutrals.

So far as I know, recent financial problems have forced Palladium out of business.

Anyone know anything else?

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:30 pm 

In a nutshell, the Palladium system is a hyperpowered house ruled version of D&D.  If you have ever seen a copy of The Mechanoids or Robotech, then you've seen the Palladium system.  Robotech is valuable because of the Robotech collectors.  I find value in the three books that make up The Mechanoid Trilogy (The Mechanoid Invasion, The Journey, Homeworld) because those are the first books to use the Palladium System in any form, but even they aren't all that valuable compared to a OD&D OCE in nice condition.  The other Mechanoid books aren't that valuable.

While there are Palladium collectors out there, I wouldn't pay more than $5-$10 (€3.89-€7.77), before shipping.

From what I saw on the website (still up), Palladium is still offering the "Megaverse United" print, proceeds which will go to fund the company and keep it from hitting the bit bucket of history.  As of the 1st of June, they had sold over 1500 of those prints, and expect to sell an additional 1500 by the end of the year.  They've gotten a lot of help from the industry on the whole, but the company isn't out of danger yet.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:56 pm 

I've been able to pick up all the books for Palladium Fantasy for $5-10 with shipping usually..so patiance and shopping around works.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:32 am 

I've got copies of all the Palladium FRPG books and most of the various prints.

As everyone has already said they are cheap and readily available. The rarer  items are the

Game Shield #452
Arms of Nargash-Tor #451

The "Holy Grail" in Palladium terms is the Crimson Edition of the Rule Book,
#4500, it's a second edition with a limited first edition cover. They've gone for $200-$250 in priavte sales through the Palldium forum.

An té nach mbíonn láidir ní folláir dó bheith glic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-ajduHx5hc

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:07 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:So far as I know, recent financial problems have forced Palladium out of business.

It was some crazy thing where the sales manager was embezzling money and stealing stuff -- apparently, he even walked off with artwork and miniature masters, which will make it difficult to rerelease some products in the future.  (He sold most of the stuff on ebay before getting caught, so good luck on finding it again.)

The company is still in businesss, though.  They went through some crazy (and heavily-derided-on-rpg.net) fund-raising drive that involved selling an  ugly $50 art print, and a mini-convention at their warehouse.  Kevin Simbieda has also resorted to selling his personal toy collection to raise money -- the Palladium booth at Gencon had a rack of Star Wars toys!

WWW ICQ  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:32 pm 

Then Palladium and Siembieda have real guts.  I hope they make it.

Mark   8)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:47 am 

MShipley88 wrote:Then Palladium and Siembieda have real guts.  I hope they make it.

By all accounts they have guts.  Generating funds by selling art prints and personal items is an unusual way to keep a company afloat.

On a collecting note, I have seen a Palladium softcover book that was subtitled something like The Seige of Tolkien-Five.  Later books (other printings?) change Tolkien to Tolkeen.  Are the books that use the somewhat-famous-fantasy-author's name extremely rare or merely uncommon?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:34 am 

Don't forget about Valley of the Pharaohs . . . this is one of the more valuable Palladium items.  A complete box set should sell between $25- $40.  The rulebook alone I sell for around $12- $15. (It was officially issued as both a box set and the rulebook only)

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:30 am 

Beyondthebreach wrote:Don't forget about Valley of the Pharaohs . . . this is one of the more valuable Palladium items.  A complete box set should sell between $25- $40.  The rulebook alone I sell for around $12- $15. (It was officially issued as both a box set and the rulebook only)

And if you don't want to spend the money, you can get Valley of the Pharohs for free from Palladium.  It's in PDF in the Cutting Room Floor section.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:59 am 

Traveller wrote:And if you don't want to spend the money, you can get Valley of the Pharohs for free from Palladium.  It's in PDF in the Cutting Room Floor section.

Hmmph   :?   A pdf might as well not exist as far as I'm concerned.  I have no pdf files on my computer  - I won't read a pdf . . . I'm always at my computer, but I absolutely will not read stories (or rulebooks, books, whatever) from a computer screen.

If I can't read the actual book, then I simply don't read it.  (print outs are no good either - too ugly and not real.)

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:52 pm 

Beyondthebreach wrote:Hmmph   :?   A pdf might as well not exist as far as I'm concerned.  I have no pdf files on my computer  - I won't read a pdf . . . I'm always at my computer, but I absolutely will not read stories (or rulebooks, books, whatever) from a computer screen.

If I can't read the actual book, then I simply don't read it.  (print outs are no good either - too ugly and not real.)

Btb, while your opinion is noted, perhaps your ire would be better directed at Palladium for making Valley of the Pharohs and the original version of Recon both available for free from their website.  As for me personally, if it's a well done PDF, then I have no problem reading it on a screen or printing it out.  The problem is that most of the PDF's are crap.

And I do have both Valley and Recon in PDF, so that's how I know the two games are there.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:06 am 

Traveller wrote:Btb, while your opinion is noted, perhaps your ire would be better directed at Palladium for making Valley of the Pharohs and the original version of Recon both available for free from their website.  As for me personally, if it's a well done PDF, then I have no problem reading it on a screen or printing it out.  The problem is that most of the PDF's are crap.

And I do have both Valley and Recon in PDF, so that's how I know the two games are there.

Well, just a little humorous ire.  :D   If someone likes pdfs, more power too them.  I have no problem with Palladium either - actually, I think it's pretty cool that they are making something available for free.  

I was just interjecting my personal opinion of pdfs for my own use.  As long as its legal, I've got no problem with it.  8)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:11 am 

Don't a couple of the later FRP books go for a little more. I recall something with Library in the title. I could be wrong though.

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:52 am 

Marlith wrote:Don't a couple of the later FRP books go for a little more. I recall something with Library in the title. I could be wrong though.

Library of Bletherad - Book 12

ShaneG.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:29 am 

Plaag wrote:
Library of Bletherad - Book 12

ShaneG.

Thank you. Does it go for about the same as all the others or does it sell for more?

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:33 am 

Marlith wrote:
Thank you. Does it go for about the same as all the others or does it sell for more?

Picked mine up at GenCon I think for $10 (basically I needed a few of the later books like this one and they ran from $8-10 IIRC)
I've hunted Ebay when I was looking to get all of the Palladium Fantasy books and so you maybe right in them being harder to come by.

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:09 pm 

Thanks for the tip on the Palladium downloads!   8O

I have Valley of the Pharaohs....bought it years ago by mail...long before I was a collector.

Still, the downloads are nice and I like having the maps in re-producable form.

Mark  8)

Next