Pendragon?
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:50 pm 

Any Pendragon collectors here?

I'm looking for a picture of the original dice from the first edition box set.  I just got a copy, and there is only one d6 in there (and I have no idea if that one is original).  Just for the heck of it, I'd like to see if I could go out and find dice still being made that are a close match.  And/or if anyone can tell me the size/color of the dice, that would be helpful too (the one included is pretty small).

(No, I'm not trying to pull off some cheezy scam of reselling this as
complete - I just don't want to spend a fortune on a still sealed box just to get the dice.  I know any dice will work, but it just seems like something to do...)

Also, can anyone absolutely confirm that the second edition set was ever published?  I know that it makes no sense to skip from first to third, but that seems to be what happened...

Oh, hello, and welcome to my first post.

Steve

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:20 am 

Hello, Historian:

I don't know about the dice or the editions, but you can ask the game's designer directly if you want.

His name is Greg Stafford and he has been answering many questions about all things Chaosium over on the Collecting General list, under the title:  Q and A with Greg Stafford (or something very close).

I doubt Greg will remember about the dice, but the editions question might be within his memory banks.

Welcome to the Acaeum, by the way.  This is a place for game history.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:35 am 

Thanks, I'll do that.

(Much nicer response than when I asked on the Pendragon list @Yahoo.  I was told my questions were off topic.  Um, okay.)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:09 pm 

Posted a reply on the other thread.  It does exist.  I did a quick current and completed ebay search, but none have been sold recently.  :?   Still, keep an eye out, one is bound to turn up in a few weeks.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:48 pm 

This is Chaosium related, but not about Pendragon.  The Worlds of Wonder box that I have does have some of its dice, but is missing the d6's.  But, what I can tell you about the dice is that they are likely Gamescience dice, with the ultra sharp edges on them.  They seem a bit on the light side compared to other dice I have though, so it's possible that they were made from Gamescience molds but with cheaper plastic.  I don't recall where I heard mention of this, but a comment was made that the dice were really cheap and often were thrown away.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:03 pm 

Traveller wrote:This is Chaosium related, but not about Pendragon.  The Worlds of Wonder box that I have does have some of its dice, but is missing the d6's.  But, what I can tell you about the dice is that they are likely Gamescience dice, with the ultra sharp edges on them.  They seem a bit on the light side compared to other dice I have though, so it's possible that they were made from Gamescience molds but with cheaper plastic.  I don't recall where I heard mention of this, but a comment was made that the dice were really cheap and often were thrown away.

I'm not sufficiently well versed in Pendragon to know which specific reprints we're talking about.

Here's a 4th print?

** expired eBay auction **

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:14 pm 

Thanks, Traveller, that's more info than I had before.

M - yeah, that's 4E.  This is (an arguably way overpriced) 1E:

** expired eBay auction **

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:21 am 

Hey there, Historian....

You ought to go over to the Collecting General forum and introduce yourself on the strand labled....something like..."Introduce Yourself."

Tell us what you collect and your gaming history.  Also, you could ask your Pendragon question to a wider audience.

Mark   8)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 1:17 am 

I'm going to bump my good ole first post... because I'm still looking for an answer.

Anyone have a complete first edition Pendragon box set?  Could these be original dice?

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, Pendragon, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based, CoC, Runequest

Planning: BRP/Harn

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 8:13 am 

I'd love to answer, but my only 1st edition Pendragon is in the shrink, and the wrath of smarmy is a terrible thing to behold . . . .   :evil:  :lol:

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 8:28 am 

Here are the dice from my 1st edition Pendragon:

It's difficult to tell in the picture but the 20-sider I have looks like it is from the same manufacturer.  Sharp-edges,"G" stamp on the 1, semi-glossy....just different colored.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 10:37 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:It's difficult to tell in the picture but the 20-sider I have looks like it is from the same manufacturer.  Sharp-edges,"G" stamp on the 1, semi-glossy....just different colored.

Awesome, thanks.  I think that's a match!  Color assortments generally seem to be random in early Chaosium material.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, Pendragon, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based, CoC, Runequest

Planning: BRP/Harn

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 10:56 am 

The "G" on the 1 defninitely means that it's a Gamescience die, and is likely not original.  I don't recall getting Gamescience dice in my other Chaosium sets, but I don't think my Pendragon is a first printing compare against, and I don't have other contemporary Chaosium first printing boxes from c. 1985 (or '87?), I don't think....

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 11:22 am 

grodog wrote:The "G" on the 1 defninitely means that it's a Gamescience die, and is likely not original.  I don't recall getting Gamescience dice in my other Chaosium sets, but I don't think my Pendragon is a first printing compare against, and I don't have other contemporary Chaosium first printing boxes from c. 1985 (or '87?), I don't think....

The 20-siders I have in my Elfquest and one of my Stormbringer box sets are both Gamescience.  They were brand new when I bought them so it would be pretty odd if they werent original.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:16 am 

My first ed Pendragon box have Gamescience dice as well (and are genuine, I bought it in SW)

1D20 and 6D6

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.