Kalifax update
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:43 am 

Looks to me like there's two editions, Frank. I'd say you have a pre-pub and that looks like the final product. Whadda ya think?

Where did you get the copy you sold on eBay, Otherworld?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:28 am 

That looks pretty cool, thanks for sharing the additional details IttyBitty :D

Back to Mark's original question:  I think that re-publishing items is a legitimate option for copyright holders (or vacaters, in the UK, I guess):  for example, Rob Kuntz has made no bones about the fact that he intends to publish some of the original manuscript items that he's sold.  We've been talking a lot about also publishing editions of the originals too:  printed copies of the original maps and keys, with transcriptions of the keys, as well as some additional historical anecdotes and stories about the players, etc.  If these were published in limited and non-limited editions, they would certainly wouldn't detract from the value of the originals (which would only increase in perceived value, I think), while the limited and regular editions might also become collectors items if the print runs aren't overly large and they're high-quality editions, and fun material to play through.  

I don't see any difference between what Kuntz is working on and the copyright holders of Kalifax making it available (or, to another idea posted awhile ago, a CD Archive of the Beholder fanzine, for example [which I still think is a hugely wonderful idea, btw, and I hope doesn't disappear into the ether]).  These would all simply be later edition printings of the same materials (perhaps in a different format, of course).  

Thoughts?

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:59 am 

I think the Adventure Pack was the supplement mentioned.
If Itty's copy is a foldered copy, then it does indeed appear that Mark's copy is a pre-pub, which was what I suspected. I wonder what the content difference is?

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:10 pm 

Hi IttyBitty,

Is there a page count anywhere that says how many pages are in each book?

I'm just wondering if they decided the original 200+ page edition was too long so they split it up into a couple of books so it would be more manageable.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:00 pm 

Those maps certainly look like Judges Guild.

The whole style, however, kinda looks like Thieves Guild without the three-hole punch.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:11 pm 

grodog wrote:That looks pretty cool, thanks for sharing the additional details IttyBitty :D

Back to Mark's original question:  I think that re-publishing items is a legitimate option for copyright holders (or vacaters, in the UK, I guess):  for example, Rob Kuntz has made no bones about the fact that he intends to publish some of the original manuscript items that he's sold.  We've been talking a lot about also publishing editions of the originals too:  printed copies of the original maps and keys, with transcriptions of the keys, as well as some additional historical anecdotes and stories about the players, etc.  If these were published in limited and non-limited editions, they would certainly wouldn't detract from the value of the originals (which would only increase in perceived value, I think), while the limited and regular editions might also become collectors items if the print runs aren't overly large and they're high-quality editions, and fun material to play through.  

I don't see any difference between what Kuntz is working on and the copyright holders of Kalifax making it available (or, to another idea posted awhile ago, a CD Archive of the Beholder fanzine, for example [which I still think is a hugely wonderful idea, btw, and I hope doesn't disappear into the ether]).  These would all simply be later edition printings of the same materials (perhaps in a different format, of course).  

Thoughts?

Well as always I'm 100% for it.  The US copyright law is lunacy.  Even lawyers cannot agree on what the laws mean here in the US, much less those of us that are deprived of rare, obscure, out of print and never again to be published material because of these laws. Beyond the Acaeum members I'm sure there isn't a lot of interest in such materials, but said members are very interested and it's a shame they aren't able to have easier access to such items.  I hope such projects eventually reach fruition.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:03 pm 

well mike if you somehow get it printed or whatever, i would like one!

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:23 pm 

The main module of Kalifax is 200 pages in length, Adventure Pack 1 is 30.

I decided to open (unwrap, really) Adventure Pack 1 to get more info.   

Back page of Adventure Pack 1:

Inner cover page:

Close-up of copyright:

Close-up of Art copyright:

First page of adventures:

Page 30 (another layout of small town and keep):

Any Questions:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:58 am 

At 240 pages, I'd say they decided to split the pre-pub into two separate products. That might make Mark's Kali nearly unique.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:29 am 

p.s.

Mars wrote:I think this is my most expensive purchase too (by about $120).

Kalifax; $227

Just noticed, in passing, from <2 months ago: Beastmaker Mountain; $168

So make that "most expensive by $59" then, I guess...

Strange how memory plays tricks like that, isn't it? :3

Hope you enjoy 'em both. :)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:38 am 

faro wrote:p.s.

Kalifax; $227

Just noticed, in passing, from <2 months ago: Beastmaker Mountain; $168
So make that "most expensive by $59" then, I guess...

Strange how memory plays tricks like that, isn't it? :3

Hope you enjoy 'em both. :)

Good call!  I was going through my "rares" and thinking what I paid for them and could only think of a couple that I had spent $100 on.  Completely forgot about Beastmaker.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:47 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Where did you get the copy you sold on eBay, Otherworld?

I bought it from a second hand games dealer in the UK,  the ever reliable Colin Wheeler at Second Games Galore, for about £8 I think.

Previous