Castle Zagyg
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:13 am 

I was surprised to find out the first two installments have been released totally under my radar (local gamestores,including the chain, didn't carry either  :cry: ). Anyone have any comments on these?  Are they worth the price to buy?  Since I haven't even seen a copy I don't know the presentation either, how is the format? Any info appreciated, thanks!

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:21 am 

I was aware of them but haven't seen them in print. The publisher is not willing to publish interior artwork or maps on line in case they put people off. I've asked.

By all accounts they're okay for newbies and 3E, but pretty dire for the rest of us.

I eagerly wait to see if the publisher has the balls to post something on the internet and run the risk of putting off potential buyers.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:55 am 

I have them both, and both are pretty good.
Castle Zagyg Vol I: Yggsburgh is hardback with fold out map by Darlene. very well presentated and full of ideas if you don't use the whole work as is.

Dark Chateau by Kuntz is a good read (since I have not run it).

So far CC has had some good stuff, and both Zzgyg products do not disapoint.

Though I state again, I pretty much suck at writing reviews.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:34 pm 

I don't own CZ:Y yet (it's on my wish list still), but CZ:DC is an excellent written by Rob Kuntz that should be easily converted from C&C to AD&D.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:56 pm 

grodog wrote:I don't own CZ:Y yet (it's on my wish list still), but CZ:DC is an excellent written by Rob Kuntz that should be easily converted from C&C to AD&D.

Thanks guys....if I can get them cheap off ebay I guess I'll give them a try. Some of the future titles in this series look really intriguing. I'll put both these on my short list, it'll give me something to read this summer.  

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:22 pm 

I happen to like the C&C ruleset too. Gives that old school feel, but cleans up some of the awkwardness of AD&D (such as THAC0).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:19 pm 

Theyre reasonably good: the proof of the pudding will be CZ part 2.

They would be a whole lot better if they had old school artwork.
And CZ1 is quite staggeringly badly proofread.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:50 pm 

nn wrote:And CZ1 is quite staggeringly badly proofread.

Par for the course with Troll Lord Games  :roll:

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:10 pm 

You can get Yggsburgh for 10 bucks from the troll lords +3.50 shipping for a very limited time.

Looking for your old-school fantasy roleplaying fix? Don't despair...Fight On! Check it out at http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/FightOn.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:06 pm 

Definitely worth buying at that price.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:05 pm 

grodog wrote:Par for the course with Troll Lord Games  :roll:

Sidebar: A couple of years back, I went after some freelance money by picking out some gaming publishers and offering to do editing and/or proofreading work for them (which, in case anyone cares, is part of what I do for a living). I only picked companies that seemed to struggle with the basics — "it's" being different than "its," for instance — and I basically offered to work for one-half to one-quarter of my normal fees.

Not ... one ... single ... response. Not even a "go away" e-mail.

I knew then what I had long suspected: basic editing just isn't a priority with many gaming companies, especially d20 publishers. And I don't buy the "low budget" excuse, either; any publisher who wants to be taken seriously should have "basic, 10th-grade-level editing" built in to their budget. I'm not saying anyone has to hire me, but Troll Lord (and others) need to hire someone.

[/end sidebar]

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:33 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:
grodog wrote:Par for the course with Troll Lord Games  :roll:

Sidebar: A couple of years back, I went after some freelance money by picking out some gaming publishers and offering to do editing and/or proofreading work for them (which, in case anyone cares, is part of what I do for a living). I only picked companies that seemed to struggle with the basics — "it's" being different than "its," for instance — and I basically offered to work for one-half to one-quarter of my normal fees.

Not ... one ... single ... response. Not even a "go away" e-mail.

I knew then what I had long suspected: basic editing just isn't a priority with many gaming companies, especially d20 publishers. And I don't buy the "low budget" excuse, either; any publisher who wants to be taken seriously should have "basic, 10th-grade-level editing" built in to their budget. I'm not saying anyone has to hire me, but Troll Lord (and others) need to hire someone.

[/end sidebar]

Mispelled words in professional publications boggle my mind....doesn't like EVERY SINGLE COMPUTER WORD PROCESSING PROGRAM have spell check nowadays?  

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:41 pm 

Badmike wrote:Mispelled

:) ... Mike, are you testing us here?

Badmike wrote:doesn't like EVERY SINGLE COMPUTER WORD PROCESSING PROGRAM have spell check nowadays?

I'm sure they do. They still require a human presence, though (for instance, "approving" incorrect spellings just makes a spell-checker that much dumber).

I'm guessing that workflow issues also cause many of these errors. If writer A, editor B, and graphic designer C are all getting in each other's way — and if no one is clear on who is responsible for what — embarrassing errors will often come into play.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:00 pm 

I concur Xaxaxe:  at GenCon 2004 I offered to edit the Castle Zagyg stuff for *free* in order to insure that the products were as good as possible.  All I heard back afterward was crickets.

That said, at $10 for CZ:Y I'm willing to put up with crappy editing in order to get the goods :D

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:10 am 

grodog wrote:I concur Xaxaxe:  at GenCon 2004 I offered to edit the Castle Zagyg stuff for *free* in order to insure that the products were as good as possible.  All I heard back afterward was crickets.

That said, at $10 for CZ:Y I'm willing to put up with crappy editing in order to get the goods :D

Besides spelling mistakes (being Italian, I'm not that qualified to judge  writing:wink:) would you consider Castle Zagyg a good purchase? I have a regular gaming group meeting all Monday nights and I'd like to run a nice, funny dungeon. 'Funny' means with clever traps, interesting riddles, vicious monsters, evil NPCs and all that. We tried to use Rappan Athuk, but we were so bored that, for cheering things up, we switched to... Call of Cthulhu   :D  8O  (and I had a blast running it, especially in the science fiction End Times setting!). But, sometimes, the urge to return to D&Dland can be compelling...

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:18 am 

Xaxaxe wrote:
Badmike wrote:Mispelled

:) ... Mike, are you testing us here?

Badmike wrote:doesn't like EVERY SINGLE COMPUTER WORD PROCESSING PROGRAM have spell check nowadays?

I'm sure they do. They still require a human presence, though (for instance, "approving" incorrect spellings just makes a spell-checker that much dumber).

I'm guessing that workflow issues also cause many of these errors. If writer A, editor B, and graphic designer C are all getting in each other's way — and if no one is clear on who is responsible for what — embarrassing errors will often come into play.

Have to give them a break...didn't we here in the US send a multimillion dollar probe to Mars that crashed because part of the team designing it was using the metric system and part using the US system and neither part caught this before it crashed?

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:51 am 

Sotterraneo wrote:I have a regular gaming group meeting all Monday nights and I'd like to run a nice, funny dungeon. 'Funny' means with clever traps, interesting riddles, vicious monsters, evil NPCs and all that. ...

Oddly enough, that is my definition of "funny" also...MUCH fun for the DM that is!

Sigh....for the old days when we had a "regular" group meeting one night a week.....

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:32 am 

Sotterraneo wrote:
grodog wrote:I concur Xaxaxe:  at GenCon 2004 I offered to edit the Castle Zagyg stuff for *free* in order to insure that the products were as good as possible.  All I heard back afterward was crickets.

Besides spelling mistakes (being Italian, I'm not that qualified to judge  writing:wink:) would you consider Castle Zagyg a good purchase?

I'll let you know after it arrives, it's shipping on Monday IIRC.

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Next