Laughable Item Descriptions - non TSR
Author

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:39 am 

JohnGaunt wrote: . . . but not at my house, fortunately.  OTOH, I have lived in apartments that have had furnishings and appliances from the 70s or earlier, and they were better than anything that I owned.

Or even 70's architectural features.  Friend of mine bought a house which was real treasure trove of unreconstructed 1970s design and the previous owner had punched a 7' wide 'groovy' egg shaped hole in the wall between the dining room and the living room  :lol:

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:36 pm 

I have seen some strange things come up in Ebay searches over the years but I never expected this to come up while searching for "Cthulhu":

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Maybe I should report him for keyword spamming.  :lol:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:52 pm 

As soon as I saw Cap'n Crunch in the link, I knew what seller that was.  The guy gets some odd things in from time to time, though that's probably about the peak of them recently. :lol:

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:34 am 

I'm not sure what's up with the gallery picture for this item... :?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:03 am 

Seller durthang has some interesting auctions but has disdain for one lot.  He titled this auction "2 Fake D&D Books -- Midkemia Press, Dimension Six, AD&D":

. . . http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Fake-D-D-Books-Mi ... 0180874479

I like his honesty.  He describes the Midkemia book as "Boring" and the Mountains of Mystery as "Hilarious."  Reading his non-collector attitude is refreshing: "The first title is actually sort of rare and maybe valuable. Whatever."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:26 pm 

JohnGaunt wrote:Seller durthang has some interesting auctions but has disdain for one lot.  He titled this auction "2 Fake D&D Books -- Midkemia Press, Dimension Six, AD&D":

. . .  

I like his honesty.  He describes the Midkemia book as "Boring" and the Mountains of Mystery as "Hilarious."  Reading his non-collector attitude is refreshing: "The first title is actually sort of rare and maybe valuable. Whatever."

Funny...just picture the look on his face when he sees what the final price on that lot is going to be....! (north of fifty bucks I'd imagine).

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:52 am 

Seller oh!babe has an auction of four or five non-RPG metal minis and a "flying dinosaur" from TSR/Ral Partha:

. . .  

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:12 am 

Seller seafaringwarrior has a copy of The Gates of the Necronomicon book written by Simon.  The pre-filled Muse information lists the authors as Simon & Garfunkel.

. . .  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:54 am 

JohnGaunt wrote:Seller seafaringwarrior has a copy of The Gates of the Necronomicon book written by Simon.  The pre-filled Muse information lists the authors as Simon & Garfunkel.

. . .  

B, I hate to break it to you pal, but that auction ended over like 2 weeks ago. :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:47 pm 

bclarkie wrote:B, I hate to break it to you pal, but that auction ended over like 2 weeks ago. :wink:

Ack.  Current items, completed items, what's the difference?   :D

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:15 am 

I'm amused by this one: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 0185312227

SenorCooCoo wrote:This auction is for the super rare and hard-to-find Secrets of Kenya sourcebook for the Call of Cthulhu RPG by Chaosium.

Apparently "super rare and hard-to-find" is now code for in print and can be ordered direct from the publisher. :roll:

I'd post his Mountains of Madness in the silliest auction prices, but I haven't been paying attention enough to see if the re-release of the hardcover version (at $75) has done anything to the price of the older softcover ones.  Needless to say, I still think $160 is a tad much...

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:39 am 

What a stooge.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:03 am 

g026r wrote:I'm amused by this one:  

Apparently "super rare and hard-to-find" is now code for in print and can be ordered direct from the publisher. :roll:

I'd post his Mountains of Madness in the silliest auction prices, but I haven't been paying attention enough to see if the re-release of the hardcover version (at $75) has done anything to the price of the older softcover ones.  Needless to say, I still think $160 is a tad much...

I have direct experience with BTMOM since the reprint. I had a 1st Ed HB sold at a good price and then found out Chaosium had released the reprint. So I mailed the buyer and told him he could get it much cheaper direct from the publisher, asked him if he wanted to cancel the order. As a collector he declined and went ahead and paid the higher price - for the better product IMO. Good for him, I'd have made exactly the same choice. He now has something fairly rare rather than ten-a-penny and that's one of the joys of collecting surely?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:15 pm 

I love people who copy and paste descriptions and then incompletely edit them for their new auctions:

KEITH URBAN
2 TICKETS
NOVEMBER 8th at CONCESO FIELD HOUSE
INDIANAPOLIS INDIANA

SECTION 209
ROW 6
SEATS 14 & 15

An EARLY CHAOSIUM
CALL OF CTHULHU ADVENTURE

While I don't like the guy's music, I'd hardly say it's quite that sanity draining or causes nearly that high of a body count among those who listen to it. :roll:

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:50 pm 

g026r wrote:While I don't like the guy's music, I'd hardly say it's quite that sanity draining or causes nearly that high of a body count among those who listen to it.

The draining of sanity/power points is an important component of any privately held stadium's business plan. While local officials may be hypnotized (or 'replaced'), donating substantial tax funds toward construction &/or upkeep, licensing fees received from vampiric psychovore entities form the bulk part of revenue. (deVirjiies, 2004)[Section Deleted] Additionally, such draining results in a beneficial social effect as the population thus drained often exits the stadium in a mental spasm of violent impulses, followed by increased long-term passivity. (Seuss, 1947)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:40 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 0188773435

Hardcover? Softcover?  Actual condition of the wear reported to the cover?  Who can tell from that picture!  But don't forget to click it to "supersize" it. ;)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:48 pm 

g026r wrote:

Hardcover? Softcover?  Actual condition of the wear reported to the cover?  Who can tell from that picture!  But don't forget to click it to "supersize" it. ;)

LOL...good thing it was supersized!  What..was the book trying to keep from being photographed?  I've seen better pictures of Bigfoot.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:46 am 

g026r wrote:But don't forget to click it to "supersize" it. ;)

D'oh, I fell into your supersizing trap!

PreviousNext