Skyrealms of Jorune
Author

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:20 am 

I tried the email on that site - so my message must have gone nowhere. Can you PM me his email? If only 25 copies were ever printed, I place my chance of getting on as nil. But would like to contact him to see if I get get a .pdf or the text. Thanks!

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:38 am 

Here is a really nice lot on Ebay includes both Ardoth and Burdoth:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:05 am 

Nice looking 2nd edition Set. 18 hours to go and sitting at $13.

Just noticed Seller has a Burdoth:

and that rarest of 2nd edition supplements, an Earth-Tec Jorune

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:45 pm 

Interesting how some of the concepts in Avatar have a Jorune feel to them, particularly the floating islands ..... I wonder if this relatively obscure old game influenced the designers / writers of Avatar at all ...

** Banned **

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:07 pm 

HermitFromPluto wrote:Interesting how some of the concepts in Avatar have a Jorune feel to them, particularly the floating islands ..... I wonder if this relatively obscure old game influenced the designers / writers of Avatar at all ...

Funny, I brought up the same thing in the off-topic chit chat thread and it immediately degenerated into political diatribes about the movie's (admittedly heavy-handed) environmental themes.

Yeah, IMO there is definitely some Jorune mixed in. There's just too much similarity for there to be no influence at all. It's even implied that the floating islands/mountains are kept aloft by crystals. Or rocks anyway, rather unimaginatively named "unobtainium" in the film. Even aside from that, the plot of the film somewhat mirrors the backstory of the RPG (blundering humans meddle with the sacred sites of seemingly primitive aliens, and then receive an ass-kicking).

I liked the movie okay (saw it on my wedding anniversary last week). It's standard blockbuster fare, but the 3D was absolutely incredible.

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:02 pm 

I loved the movie. I thought it was a visual masterpiece. It is amazing how far 3D technology has come.

I know Cameron tends to be stereotypical and a little cliche with his characterizations, however, humans behaved like that during much of the colonial era and having been on the front line of pristine forest destruction in Papua New Guinea and seen how the local populations can be abused and people can be utterly insensitive as long as they make a buck - I don't think fables with exaggerated environmental themes can do us any harm.

** Banned **

Post Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:06 pm 

HermitFromPluto wrote:I loved the movie. I thought it was a visual masterpiece. It is amazing how far 3D technology has come.

I know Cameron tends to be stereotypical and a little cliche with his characterizations, however, humans behaved like that during much of the colonial era and having been on the front line of pristine forest destruction in Papua New Guinea and seen how the local populations can be abused and people can be utterly insensitive as long as they make a buck - I don't think fables with exaggerated environmental themes can do us any harm.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I agree with you (and Cameron's message) 100%, or at least 85%. I just think he could have incorporated the message a little more subtly. As a piece of cinematic art it's unparalleled, but as a morality play I have to give it a B-.

I'd love to see the same technology applied to doing an actual Skyrealms of Jorune movie (yeah, right).

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:00 pm 

Yes. I agree with your assessment.

Man, if I had the bucks, I would be tempted to make an offer on the rights to Jorune and develop the next edition. I know there have been a number of fan attempts to do this, but what it really needs is a fleshing out of the world. Imagine a series of Harn-type campaign resources slowly mapping out Jorune, its denizens and people . Add to that some classic feel modules and you'd have a real winner.  :)

** Banned **

Post Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:34 pm 

HermitFromPluto wrote:Yes. I agree with your assessment.

Man, if I had the bucks, I would be tempted to make an offer on the rights to Jorune and develop the next edition. I know there have been a number of fan attempts to do this, but what it really needs is a fleshing out of the world. Imagine a series of Harn-type campaign resources slowly mapping out Jorune, its denizens and people . Add to that some classic feel modules and you'd have a real winner.  :)

I dunno if I'm with you on that.

I have the 2nd (with the 8-87 supplement) and 3rd editions of the game, and I've heard stories about 1st, and it seems to me that all the setting needs is a single edition that does the following:

1) Presents the rules in a coherent fashion, unmangled by rushed release dates, bad layout software, inept editorial efforts, or whatever else might be (in reality or legend) to blame for the infelicitous state in which both editions were published. I find both 2nd and 3rd quite playable, as long as you're willing to wade through the errata and reconstruct a coherent picture of the rules (whether in your mind or on paper). At it's core, the skill system is elegant and the combat intuitive, but you'd never know it from a casual reading.

2) Collates the reams of glossary and concordance material into a usable format. The Sholari Pack has something like 35 pages of alphabetized entries covering almost every conceivable aspect of Jorune culture, but it's extremely difficult to form a coherent picture without serious study. I'd go with a presentation similar to 2nd edition (split the stuff into different books), but then include a gazetteer type book in addition which goes through the terminology systematically (a section for botany and perhaps limilates too, a section on zoology, a section on cultural practices, a section on economic concepts, etc.).

My point I guess is that the Harn-level detail is already there, for the most part. It just needs an organized presentation. Of course I'd be happy to see more in the way of resources like the Sobayid Atlas and the Gire of Sillipus for every region (Volligire, Temauntro, Khodre, Dobre, and Lundere, at least).

I wonder what the current situation is with the rights. Does Chessex own it whole hog, or just the rights to 3rd edition? Do the Lekers/Kalishes or M. Teves own the rights?

Just my two yules.

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:24 am 

Yes. Again, I agree on most points - and it was your last point on more resources that I was trying to make. People often malign D&D because of its multitude of supplements, but that it was makes it a winner. To simply create more detailed supplements for every region and then a series of adventures, would greatly add to the appeal of the game. I'm with you on the first two points entirely.

I remember reading once that Chessex had some agreement with Lekers / Teves on the third edition, but the original authors retained some rights. I doubt it made any money for Chessex as they were selling the supplements for years (probably still are).

Yes, I just checked and they are still available:

http://www.chessex.com/Games/Games2.htm

** Banned **

Post Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:53 am 

HermitFromPluto wrote:Yes. Again, I agree on most points - and it was your last point on more resources that I was trying to make. People often malign D&D because of its multitude of supplements, but that it was makes it a winner. To simply create more detailed supplements for every region and then a series of adventures, would greatly add to the appeal of the game. I'm with you on the first two points entirely.

I remember reading once that Chessex had some agreement with Lekers / Teves on the third edition, but the original authors retained some rights. I doubt it made any money for Chessex as they were selling the supplements for years (probably still are).

Yes, I just checked and they are still available:

http://www.chessex.com/Games/Games2.htm

Yeah, sorry for the confusion. I guess I came around to your point of view while writing my post :). I'm new to Jorune, though very enthusiastic, so I'm still working through my thoughts about it.

I bought all of the third edition books recently from "gameabundance" on eBay, which appears to be Chessex's eBay account (at least the seller had a chessex.com e-mail address). They still have the 3rd edition value pack for $50 BiN. This was also the seller who put up the auction for the 2nd edition mailorder poster, which was my best or at least favorite acquisition of 2009, aside from maybe the Outdoor Geomorphs. I keep hoping they'll sell off more old SoJ mailorder-only things.

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:25 pm 

Hiya,

anyone any idea how to tell the Gencon supplement originals from copies please?

I just picked up a load of Jorune stuff, and it has these, both 3-stapled.

Also a load of fanzines, and erm, bits of paper :)

Cheers,
Malc

I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel.

** Banned **

Post Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:11 am 

Unfortunately I do not, never having seen a copy of the preleases of Shanthas or Iscin Races. But congrats on the great find!

Which fanzines?

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:47 am 

if you haven't figured it out before next august Malc, bring them to gencon and you can compare them to mine. just remind me i need to bring jorune stuff wiith me...

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:01 am 

Hiya,

thanks for that strato.

The fanzines I have are:
Sarceen's Knowledge
Sholari
Bokelby's Folly
Journal of the Tansoor Historical Society

Was a good lot actually - the first 8 issues of warpstone, and an almost complete collection of Kult, amongst the 48 boxes of books :)

Cheers,
Malc

I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel.

** Banned **

Post Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:02 am 

lawrenson wrote:Hiya,

thanks for that strato.

The fanzines I have are:
Sarceen's Knowledge
Sholari
Bokelby's Folly
Journal of the Tansoor Historical Society

Was a good lot actually - the first 8 issues of warpstone, and an almost complete collection of Kult, amongst the 48 boxes of books :)

Cheers,
Malc

Nice.

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:16 pm 

Thought I would bump this thread with my completed Wiki Jorune page as well. Not sure if everyone reads the "The Acaeum Distributed Computing Project" thread where I post about the Wiki.

All core rules editions now up:

http://wiki.acaeum.com/wiki/SkyRealms_of_Jorune
http://wiki.acaeum.com/wiki/Gallery:SkyRealms_of_Jorune

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:52 am 

Hey Folks

I know this is a hard one but why not trying. Maybe someone reads this. I am looking for some rare Jorune supplements. If someone actually reads this and has one of these items just let me know.

My bids:

# Companion Jorune: Jorune Sholari Supplement - 300 $
# Maustin-Caji - 250 $
# Playing the Iscin Races - 200 $
# Shanthas of Jorune - 200 $
# Earth-Tec - 120 $

Visit my virtual museum of The Dark Eye (Germany's biggest role-playing game) and see a selection of extraordinary, one-of-a-Kind and curious items out of its 30 year old history: http://dsa-museum.de/

PreviousNext