The Mayfair Dilemma
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 7:37 pm 

OK...so I now know that RPG collecting has officially ruined me.

I just got the Mayfair lot deal in the mail.  I got FEZ and the adventures pack.

The thing is, all of this stuff is in shrinkwrap.

Do I bust it all out and chomp into all that RPG goodness?

Or

Do I pack it all away, still shrinkwrapped individually, and into the Mayfair lot bundle shrinkwrap?

Do I even keep the box (marked with Mayfair's logo) that they came in?  

What about the catalogue and brochures that also came with them.

Help me!  

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 7:41 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:OK...so I now know that RPG collecting has officially ruined me.

I just got the Mayfair lot deal in the mail.  I got FEZ and the adventures pack.

The thing is, all of this stuff is in shrinkwrap.

Or

Do I pack it all away, still shrinkwrapped individually, and into the Mayfair lot bundle shrinkwrap?

Do I even keep the box (marked with Mayfair's logo) that they came in?  

What about the catalogue and brochures that also came with them.

Help me!  

Mark   8)

Bust it open.  Mayfair stuff will never be collectible in that regard...it's too common, not highly thought of, and just not a part of the RPG conciousness like similar non-TSR items published at the same time.  Go ahead and read!

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 7:50 pm 

aaaah, the old shrinkwrap dilemma.

Rip it all off - Let the games run free!

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 7:56 pm 

Buy another complete set, leave one in shrinkwrap and open the other.

Ask bclarkie if you want further advice, he's a traveller on that road . . .  :D

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:24 pm 

Mark, you said in another thread you were a fan of the battleworn books. Stay true to yourself & open that wrap! If it weren't for the Acaeum influence, you wouldn't think twice...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:34 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:    The thing is, all of this stuff is in shrinkwrap.

Or

This is best answered by a question; did you buy it as an investment or to enjoy?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:44 pm 

you don't want my opinion...I'm the guy who gave my son a B1 mono in shink to tear open for his birthday  :)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 10:51 pm 

I considered the same dilemma, and quickly realized that I should buy case-lots of all that Mayfair -- if I'm willing to put it all away for 20 years to ripen. (Or maybe more, considering this mass dump of shrink'd stuff.)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 11:29 pm 

So, no one will look down on me if I want to READ them?   :lol:

Seriously, though.  This kind of sell-off might be important...in 20 years.  I'm thinking that I might not want to wait that long.

The Acaeum has had a bad influence on me.  I buy things because other collectors might want them...forgetting that I am that most noble of all breeds of geeks...the wargamer.   :lol:

Still, every time I reach for that shrinkwrap...or look at that box waiting in the fireplace...I shudder.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 11:34 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:So, no one will look down on me if I want to READ them?   :lol:

Seriously, though.  This kind of sell-off might be important...in 20 years.  I'm thinking that I might not want to wait that long.

The Acaeum has had a bad influence on me.  I buy things because other collectors might want them...forgetting that I am that most noble of all breeds of geeks...the wargamer.   :lol:

Still, every time I reach for that shrinkwrap...or look at that box waiting in the fireplace...I shudder.

Mark   8)

Ahh, just open the f**kin things. :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 11:36 pm 

*round of applause*

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 11:39 pm 

faro wrote:*round of applause*

:lol:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 11:40 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
faro wrote:*round of applause*

:lol:

BTW, I did not say however that I was going to opening mine*. :wink:

*Its a sickness. :oops:

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 06, 2006 12:00 am 

bclarkie wrote:BTW, I did not say however that I was going to opening mine*. :wink:

Oh, I see...

Yeah, just like late JG material the shrink might eventually increase the value; probably around the time they discover it can be used for solar sails when this ol' rock starts to get too hot.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 06, 2006 12:02 am 

faro wrote:
bclarkie wrote:BTW, I did not say however that I was going to opening mine*. :wink:

Oh, I see...

Yeah, just like late JG material the shrink might eventually increase the value; probably just after they discover it can be used for solar sails when this ol' rock starts to get too hot.

I never said that it was the rational thing to do, I just can't help myself. :oops:  Seriously though, I have opened a few shrinked modules over the last 6 months or so. I figured with all these damn A3's I have I could at least open one of them. :)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 06, 2006 12:09 am 

bclarkie wrote:
faro wrote:

Oh, I see...

Yeah, just like late JG material the shrink might eventually increase the value; probably just after they discover it can be used for solar sails when this ol' rock starts to get too hot.

I never said that it was the rational thing to do, I just can't help myself. :oops:  Seriously though, I have opened a few shrinked modules over the last 6 months or so. I figured with all these damn A3's I have I could at least open one of them. :)

I opened a few myself, the shrink wrap was really tight and starting to damage the module so off it came!  On one piece in particuliar(one of the challenge 2nd ed mods) it looked MINT under the shrink, the shrink was really tight so I opened it and almost immediatly a hoard of stress creases formed on the spine of the book; it look like crap now!  I threw it in the 'for sale at a later date' pile and I went off and got a very nice replacement on Ebay without that annoying shrink!

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat May 06, 2006 6:58 am 

Blackmoor wrote:I opened a few myself, the shrink wrap was really tight and starting to damage the module so off it came!  On one piece in particuliar(one of the challenge 2nd ed mods) it looked MINT under the shrink, the shrink was really tight so I opened it and almost immediatly a hoard of stress creases formed on the spine of the book; it look like crap now!  I threw it in the 'for sale at a later date' pile and I went off and got a very nice replacement on Ebay without that annoying shrink!

I've said his before - shrink hides a multitude of horrors - like the above case - and also rusty staples, nasty smells, etc..  and of course you need another copy to, you know, read and game with. :)  Tear it off.

Let's go fly a kite

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat May 06, 2006 7:00 am 

MShipley88 wrote:So, no one will look down on me if I want to READ them?   :lol:
Mark   8)

Don't you worry Mark - whether I look down on you or not has nothing to do with that  :wink:

Let's go fly a kite

Next