Wikipedia
Author

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:23 am 

:o I wonder how long it would take that d100 to stop rolling and settle on a side!!!

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:42 am 

HermitFromPluto wrote::o I wonder how long it would take that d100 to stop rolling and settle on a side!!!

Way too long!! I bought one of those a number of years ago, used it for one gaming session after which it got unceremoniously dumped in a drawer.  :)

JasonW

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:51 pm 

I am very astonished to find Dave Wesley in here. I am writing on my dissertation about rpg in germany, so I am very interested in rpg-history and the people who brought it along.
There are many questions in my mind, just for example I anybody in the USA knew about the german FOLLOW-Group, that created their fantasy war-game "armageddon" (based on a hexagon-map) in 1966. They also started a kind of reenactment (similar to the SCA) in the same year that was based on their fantasy-world "magira", too.
The "Ewige Spiel"-Campaigne (Eternal Game), a continuing magira-wargame-campaign, that was started in 1968, still runs today and is used as base for rpg, LARP and stories as well.
I although have a glass-made d10 in my possesion, that nobody could really identify yet. Maybe you know something about it!
A picture of the dice is here:
http://www.dicecollector.com/diceinfo_d10_3.jpg

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:23 pm 

zhowar wrote:
Ouch, flip any more of those side-splitting comments and I will just die.

I used to use pencils to substitute in for d6s -- ancient romans had similar dice (they used ones like the Indian three sided pencils though -- which made great d3s).

Regards,

Stephen

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:17 am 

HermitFromPluto wrote::o I wonder how long it would take that d100 to stop rolling and settle on a side!!!

I have one of the golf ball looking d100s.  Mine has a seam around the middle that the die tends to fall on.  Not very useful for that reason and that it tends to roll forever.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:55 pm 

HermitFromPluto wrote:I wonder how long it would take that d100 to stop rolling and settle on a side!!!

No, it's not that bad ... provided you roll softly. Even with just a little bit of power behind it, a d100 will roll and roll and roll.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:31 am 

Well, here I am, back after three years... that sets some kind of record for not responding promptly.    The Net-Nannies where i work blocked all access to "prohibited sites" (I think they think any site that mentions 'gaming' is an internet gambling site, but they don't explain these things).  SO that cut me off from the Acaenum and a lot of other places.  I have found a way to get back in her tonight (it may not last) but here is an answer for Zodiak and one for Ethesis.

Zodiak-
I'm sorry this is probably far too late to help with your dissertation
I think I can safely say that none of us knew anything at all about hobby gaming in Germany in 1966.   I like your glass D100; it appears to be a rounded bi-truncated octahedron, one of the shapes that already existed when I was telling Lou Zocchi that it would be "impossible to make a D10, because the Ancient Greeks proved there are only the five regular polyhedra (D4, D6, D8, D12 and D20 and there ain't ever going to be any others"
Boy was I smart!

Ethesis-
There is an episode of "The Good Neighbors" (AKA "The Good Life') a BBC TV comedy where Tom Good is using an ordinarly six-sided pencil for a dice in a solitare game of imaginary Cricket.  It appears that British school boys have been doing this for at least the last 50 years... You make one dot on the frist face, two on the second and so on, to get a replacement for a D6.
There are many advantages to using pencils for dice:
1) If the teacher searches you, he doesn't find a pair of dice (a sure Caning Offense for gambling) but just two pencils
2) You can put different numbers on the six faces for special purposes, like averaging dice or messages like "sticky wicket" or "touchdown" or "50 GP" as needed for different games.  
Pencils are cheap, so you can have a bunch of them labeled for different purposes (monster generation, treasures, hit dice, etc)
3) And they are very un-fair dice, but stood on the pointed end and spun, they are probably impossible to control.

-DAW

Previous