Pro Painted Miniatures
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:01 pm 

I've recently gotten into professionally painted miniatures by buying up a nice portion of Gus Landt's great collection but this auction's result surprised me:

Tyrion's Charge Silver Demon Winner

For those of you in the know, like Blackmoor, is that usual for a mini of such fine caliber to fetch that high a price?  What would a Golden Demon Winner go for if that was "only" a Silver Demon winner?  

Wow...  8O

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:11 am 

I saw that auction and suddenly had a strange urge to paint minis 8O

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:17 am 

VermilionFire wrote:I've recently gotten into professionally painted miniatures by buying up a nice portion of Gus Landt's great collection but this auction's result surprised me:

Tyrion's Charge Silver Demon Winner

For those of you in the know, like Blackmoor, is that usual for a mini of such fine caliber to fetch that high a price?  What would a Golden Demon Winner go for if that was "only" a Silver Demon winner?  
Wow...  8O

No it is not usual, Fredy (the nickname of the painter) usually gets $200 - $400 for his stuff.  This particular miniature is really quite famous in the mini world. The site which made miniature painted really popular (called : Coolminiornot) was just starting when painters like Fredy, Jennifer Haley, Matt Verzani and Victoria Lamb made it real popular by posting there incredible works of art on the site.  This particular miniature was one of the best mini's on the site in its infancy!  This miniature could be considered one of the pieces that popularized the site and increased the creditability of CoolMiniornot.  Does this mini have provenance?  You betcha!

Check out this amazing site:

http://www.coolminiornot.com/

It may be only a silver demon winner but it is one of the first Games Workshop miniatures painted by Fredy, it only won a Silver due to the requirements of the competition it was entered; one of these requirements is that the miniature fits within the intellectual property of the Games Workshop world!  This one sadly does not, it is painted very well but the horse is wrong and a few other minor details.  As in a previous post I said that this one would go in the $700.00 range; I guess I was wrong.

I tell you though, If my wife could get $2000.00 plus for her silver demon winners (she has 4 of them as well as golds and bronzes) she would sell them in a heartbeat :D

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:47 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:...
Check out this amazing site:

http://www.coolminiornot.com/

Thanks for all that background, Jeff. Too much $ floating around there for me, but a lot more variation than in collecting fixed printing mods, etc.! ;)

Interesting website, too.... Will definitely have a browse through to see what content/styles are in fashion.
Blackmoor wrote:I tell you though, If my wife could get $2000.00 plus for her silver demon winners (she has 4 of them as well as golds and bronzes) she would sell them in a heartbeat :D

Heh, heh... I can't remember you mentioning that before: or have you?
Neat! And congrats! :)

Have you participated actively on the competition side, yourself?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:46 pm 

Too bad I have zero artistic talent... probably why I appreciate it so much when other people do have that talent...

Coolminiornot is an amazing site to peruse.  I didn't realize the detail that can be accomplished with paint on these tiny pieces of metal.  It's mind-boggling.  And blackmoor's wife does amazing work... when is she going to have time for more freelance work again?   :D

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:49 pm 

faro wrote:Have you participated actively on the competition side, yourself?

Not in painting, my wife always shudders when I pick up a brush :lol:

I do compete in the warhammer tournament circut here in Western Canada and have become well known as a difficult to beat opponet.  I have won many of these tournaments and usually place in the top 10% or so.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:51 pm 

VermilionFire wrote:Too bad I have zero artistic talent... probably why I appreciate it so much when other people do have that talent...

Coolminiornot is an amazing site to peruse.  I didn't realize the detail that can be accomplished with paint on these tiny pieces of metal.  It's mind-boggling.  And blackmoor's wife does amazing work... when is she going to have time for more freelance work again?   :D

After Gencon in August she will be open up to some commisions.  Better get in the que quickly though, she fills up fast!!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:59 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:Not in painting, my wife always shudders when I pick up a brush :lol:

Unless it's to paint the house, perhaps?

*dodges*

Blackmoor wrote:I do compete in the warhammer tournament circut here in Western Canada and have become well known as a difficult to beat opponet.  I have won many of these tournaments and usually place in the top 10% or so.

Do you get a dazzle bonus if your wife lets you use minis she's painted? ;)

Guessing the number of hardcore players, top 10% consistently is pretty darned good, IMO! :)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:06 pm 

faro wrote:Do you get a dazzle bonus if your wife lets you use minis she's painted? ;)

Absolutly I get the dazzle bonus, sometimes my opponets want to play me just to tell there friends about the fabulous army I have! 8)

faro wrote:Guessing the number of hardcore players, top 10% consistently is pretty darned good, IMO! :)

It is tough to stay at that level, but I game alot (both D&D and Warhammer) and experince really helps.  I have played Warhammer competions in LA (1st) Atlanta (4th) and Canada (Many cities and placings).  The more you play against high level armies the better your overall consistancy will be.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:08 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:It is tough to stay at that level, but I game alot (both D&D and Warhammer) and experince really helps.  I have played Warhammer competions in LA (1st) Atlanta (4th) and Canada (Many cities and placings).  The more you play against high level armies the better your overall consistancy will be.

hey BM heres one for you. if you could play out a scenario, a one-off battle with your army against one other person from any point of history past or present, who would it be and why and what would the scenario be?

Al

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:24 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
hey BM heres one for you. if you could play out a scenario, a one-off battle with your army against one other person from any point of history past or present, who would it be and why and what would the scenario be?

Al

That one is easy, I would replay SHELLY MCKITTRICK in the 2002 Calgary Grand Tournament.  She won best overall with her Bretonian army fashioned after Monty Python and the holy Grail

http://ca.games-workshop.com/news/cn/ev ... k_army.htm

Here is my army which she faced that year:

http://ca.games-workshop.com/news/cn/ev ... e_army.htm

I took it easy on her (she is a girl after all) in a scenario in which we had to collect treasure from a central location and return it to your deployemnt zone.  I had a marginal loss and went on to a few more victories before placing in the middle of the pack somewhere.  If I had gone for the jugler in the game I would have had an easy ride to the overall podium for that tournament.  She was very fun to play though and many orcs and goblins got carted away in the leper wagon.

Jeff

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:30 pm 

cool man - thought you might have liked to have a bash at napoleon or something like that - a fantasy version battle of waterloo or something :D

Al

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:34 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:cool man - thought you might have liked to have a bash at napoleon or something like that - a fantasy version battle of waterloo or something :D

Al

No Warhammer does not play historical scenarios out well.  It is more Tolkien like.  Magic, Elves, heroes and villians just do not fit in with historical battles.  There is a version of Warhammer that is less fantasy like but I have never played it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:55 am 

Great stuff Jeff  8)