Featured Plus?
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:16 pm 

Seems there is a "glut" of Featured Plus! items listed on ebay in the RPG category.

I certainly am not trying to criticize any seller for trying to make a sale . . . but it seems a matter of simple economics.  Ebay charges $19.95 to list an item with Featured Plus! - don't they?

I can't imagine this turning out well . . .

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:28 pm 

Beyondthebreach wrote:Seems there is a "glut" of Featured Plus! items listed on ebay in the RPG category.

I certainly am not trying to criticize any seller for trying to make a sale . . . but it seems a matter of simple economics.  Ebay charges $19.95 to list an item with Featured Plus! - don't they?

It is all by one guy, I predict he is trying to start a mailing list.  From auction winners.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:53 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:
Beyondthebreach wrote:Seems there is a "glut" of Featured Plus! items listed on ebay in the RPG category.

It is all by one guy, I predict he is trying to start a mailing list.  From auction winners.

Ok, now I do not have a marketing degree but the lots he is selling do not look like they are steals or even deals. Then there are the shipping charges and a handleing fee on top of that. If I were trying to compile a mailing list I would have a period where I ran items at as listtle above cost as I could and charge as cheap a shipping fee as I could. This would hopefully allow me to get as many different buyers as I could and then once I had the database I could work with I would revert to more normal methods or marketing.

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:05 pm 

$10 opening bid plus $10 shipping = $20.00.

Listing fee = $19.95
Sell fee = 0.53
Paypal = 0.88

Plus the actual shipping cost of the item . . . let's say only $5.00.

Total profit = $ -6.36

Featured Plus is for high ticket items or for many multiples sold on the same listing (fee for that is $79.95).  

Plus it takes up the whole first page on ebay . . . which wouldn't bug me so much if it made any sense . . .  :?

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:29 pm 

They just had a sale on Featured Plus for listings starting 4/18-19, iirc.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:29 am 

What does "Featured Plus" mean?

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:49 am 

For $20 ($10 for a couple of days this week) your item can appear 'above the line' of all other auctions in a certain category.

If you look at all items in the D&D category, you'll see a bunch of 'RARE D20' crap.

Those were all put up for with  a Featured Plus option.

Thanks!

Well THAT went over like a turd in a punchbowl!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:25 am 

It has to be pretty valuable stuff to justify a $20 cost just to post it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:11 am 

FWIW, I think the seller may very well be partially retarded. If in fact he was actually trying to create some sort of mailing list/customer base you have to list items for prices that will actually sell.  He has givin EBay some $200 in listing fees so far and has not sold anything yet.  No auctions sold=No customers,  No customers=No customer base/mailing list, No customer base/mailing list=Moron. :roll:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:33 pm 

bclarkie wrote:FWIW, I think the seller may very well be partially retarded. If in fact he was actually trying to create some sort of mailing list/customer base you have to list items for prices that will actually sell.  He has givin EBay some $200 in listing fees so far and has not sold anything yet.  No auctions sold=No customers,  No customers=No customer base/mailing list, No customer base/mailing list=Moron. :roll:

Sort of what I said without calling them retarded  :lol:

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:56 pm 

The guy is crazy, though I've gotten a few good deals from them, and everything was in nice shape and quickly sent.  I imagine the seller is just doesn't particularly have much business sense.  (And the odd pictures lead me to believe the customer service is lacking too.)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:04 pm 

He has not posted any of my questions....

He sends me replies that say, "What girl?"   :lol:   Still fun.

Mark   8)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:28 pm 

Reindeergamez wrote:The guy is crazy, though I've gotten a few good deals from them, and everything was in nice shape and quickly sent.  I imagine the seller is just doesn't particularly have much business sense.  (And the odd pictures lead me to believe the customer service is lacking too.)

Customer service would be top notch if you got the girl  :wink:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:53 pm 

If I were this seller I might try to claim that the pictures were of me.

That might get some bids.
  :D

Mark   8)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:28 pm 

This is getting out of hand . . . is it possible they don't actually realize how much it costs to list this way?  He's going to find an ebay bill for $1,000 next month (unless he doesn't pay it, that is).

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:39 pm 

Look at all his items....  Some are finishing right now, but he has 78  auctions that have been Pro-Packed ($29.95 each, $15.00 for a couple of days this week)

From Ebay:

The Pro Pack option combines upgrades that really help your listing stand apart from others. Pro Pack combines Bold, Border, Highlight, Gallery Featured* and Featured Plus! for additional savings and maximum listing exposure. Pack is only available to sellers with a Feedback score of 10 or greater.

Given a blended rate of $22.00 + .35 to list each item, his Ebay fees for this week alone (not including any Final Value fees) should be around $1750.00

Jeez...

Well THAT went over like a turd in a punchbowl!