Is our Gamelords butt munch back?
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:11 pm 

Remember this discussion?

viewtopic.php?t=3155&highlight=gamelords

Well check this out:

ImageImage[/img]

Notice the tell-tale photocopy of the staple holes along the spine of the fake on the right.

Here's my question.  I know exactly where this fake came from.  He sells Richard Jordison every month or so.  His description says that they were given to him by the author and are signed.  There is a Richard Jordison signature on the map with the year 2001.  The seller never says that what he is selling are photocopies of the 1976 edition.  The chits are also a copy.  

Please check your Fact and Fantasy stuff.  The titles are:

The Battle of Helm's Deep
The Seige of Minas Tirith
Mind War
War of the Sky Galleons
Warriors of the Green Planet

The reason I'm bringing this up is that a couple of the items on this list bring some real money.  If the seller is selling copies rather than originals, then some of you may have gotten burned, thinking you were getting the real thing.  Please check your stuff.

I can't help but wonder if this is also the source for the Gamelords fakes.

"I can shew you houses that have stood two centuries and a half and more; houses that have witnessed what would make a modern house crumble into powder.  What do moderns know of life and the forces behind it?" --Richard Upton Pickman

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:16 pm 

Looks like a fake to me. Where did you get it?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:35 pm 

Point the way and I'll buy him out.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:42 pm 

While we are on the subject...

If the owner of the copyright decided to make another bunch of copies after seeing that they sell well on Ebay, they are not really fakes but they are not original printings either...  so what does that make them?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:56 pm 

Mars wrote:While we are on the subject...

If the owner of the copyright decided to make another bunch of copies after seeing that they sell well on Ebay, they are not really fakes but they are not original printings either...  so what does that make them?

I very much doubt Tadashi is running them off on his photocopier.  :D
I think this is a small time copy shop operation by some redneck who hasn't really though it through.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:06 pm 

I'm not going to say, yet.  The gamestore who sells on eBay may be a victim too, buying an item, not knowing or suspecting it.  If it can happen to collectors, it can happen to professionals too, which is why members with Jordison stuff should look at it.  There has to be more one example before I'll point the finger.

Look for the photocopies.

"I can shew you houses that have stood two centuries and a half and more; houses that have witnessed what would make a modern house crumble into powder.  What do moderns know of life and the forces behind it?" --Richard Upton Pickman

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:48 pm 

Mars wrote:While we are on the subject...

2nd Printings. ;)

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:02 pm 

tfm wrote:Please check your Fact and Fantasy stuff.
The reason I'm bringing this up is that a couple of the items on this list bring some real money.  If the seller is selling copies rather than originals, then some of you may have gotten burned, thinking you were getting the real thing.  Please check your stuff.

Originals here, of those I have, but doubtless that one you're showing above is fake :(
Will keep my eyes open.

tfm wrote:I can't help but wonder if this is also the source for the Gamelords fakes.

And that's before the whole of East Asia kicks in, too... *sighs*

Thanks for the excellent scans and heads up, tfm.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:29 am 

If the owner of the copyright decided to make another bunch of copies after seeing that they sell well on Ebay, they are not really fakes but they are not original printings either... so what does that make them?

Last time I checked, technically, and legally, they would be Reprints. Once production stops for a period of time, making more and selling again is a Reprint.[/quote]

Nemesis of the Annoyingly Dense
Guidelines, not rules...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:24 am 

It could be that the seller has an agreement with the original copyright owner, making it a legal copy.  What is not okay is vending reprints for originals.  The Mind War on the right has the chits printed on glossy photopaper, which has to be cut instead of punched.  Furthermore, the map has 'Richard R. Jordison 2001' underneath the title on the map.  Clearly not what was issued in 1976.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:24 am 

I know Aaron has some photocopies of Gamelords stuff he picked up off other sellers, and is selling them in his shop. Taverns comes to mind. Did you get them at nobleknight?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:41 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:I know Aaron has some photocopies of Gamelords stuff he picked up off other sellers, and is selling them in his shop. Taverns comes to mind. Did you get them at nobleknight?

it makes things really depressing reading stuff like this. while you would have normally be really eager to try and get your hands on items like this, now youre just reluctant and tend to steer clear, which is a damn shame :(

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:51 pm 

I happen to have three real copies of Mind War, so if somebody wants one they can PM me.  I did not get the copied Mind War from Nobleknight.  That said, I wish he would pull the fake copies of The Compleat Tavern which are currently for sale @ $20.

Does anyone know Jordison?  This matter could be cleared up quickly if he would confirm reprinting any F&F stuff and the buyer.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:04 pm 

tfm wrote:I happen to have three real copies of Mind War, so if somebody wants one they can PM me.  I did not get the copied Mind War from Nobleknight.  That said, I wish he would pull the fake copies of The Compleat Tavern which are currently for sale @ $20.

Has anyone actually let Aaron know that the ones he has for sale are fakes?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:43 pm 

tfm wrote:Does anyone know Jordison?  This matter could be cleared up quickly if he would confirm reprinting any F&F stuff and the buyer.

I talk with him occasionally but haven't lately, nor do I have a recent contact addy (and the old one is invalid :/ ).

I highly doubt that Rich is reprinting anything. He was stung real bad when all that LotR crap went down.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:03 pm 

I know Aaron had some of the fake Monty Hauls but when he found out, he removed them.  I'm not sure if he has any Taverns for sale.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:16 am 

I have the three Warriors of the Green Planet titles, plus the expansion Rules set that links the three games together.  I think I bought them from Jordison when he was selling them on ebay directly a few years ago.  I'll check them when I get home tonight.

There's a Minas Tirith up on ebay right now http://cgi.ebay.com/Siege-of-Minas-Tiri ... dZViewItem.  I bid on several copies back when Jordison was doing his closet cleaning, but they all went for upwards of $90, too rich for me back then.

IIRC Jordison was offering to sign his copies when he put them up for sale.  I had some email exchanges with him back then.  I'll see if I can dig them out.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:31 am 

Marinagh wrote:I had some email exchanges with him back then.  I'll see if I can dig them out.

Hey Mar, please ask Rich to email me ([email protected]); we need to catch up.

Frank Mentzer

Next