TSR Kitsch
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:22 am 

It is curious sub-genre of collecting, a sideshow for some, a freakshow for others.  

Let the carnival begin.  I can't wait for the breakfast cereal!

"I can shew you houses that have stood two centuries and a half and more; houses that have witnessed what would make a modern house crumble into powder.  What do moderns know of life and the forces behind it?" --Richard Upton Pickman

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:48 am 

It is curious sub-genre of collecting, a sideshow for some, a freakshow for others.

Now you are getting into the oddball items I like to collect  :lol:
Do you have the hydra pencil sharpener as well?

Unfortunately all my stuff is packed for moving over the next two weeks :(

Mike

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:36 am 

Yep, but it's not on the card.  I have a few pieces of TSR-licensed material.  Somebody here has the candy, I think.  I don't know why I have the pieces I do, except to say that it says something about TSR, and that makes it significant somehow, a commentary on the people and the time.  Is it clever, making easy money selling a name?  Is it prostitution, like an old whore who will do anything for money?  Is it opportunity, make it while you can get it because the ride won't last forever?  I don't think an outsider could begin answer these questions.  Collectively, the kitsch does say something about the company.

Here's another example of TSR Kitsch:

"I can shew you houses that have stood two centuries and a half and more; houses that have witnessed what would make a modern house crumble into powder.  What do moderns know of life and the forces behind it?" --Richard Upton Pickman

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:38 am 

I quite like that pic. :?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:20 pm 

I have 4 different record/books  :oops: .

I recently won a full display box of the candies also.

Do you have any of the handheld pinball games?

Now I want to unpack and post pics :?  Guess it will have to wait. I will also have to dig up that link on posting pics.

Mike

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:30 pm 

Chromaticknight's full box of Candy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

I had to set a snipe on this one - after all, it was listed in Advertising>Candies & Nuts>Other Candy, Nuts.

I think burntwire brothers sold one with 9 boxes for around $110.  The one Mike just won is a full box of 36!

(I wonder if he is the only one with a complete, unused Candy Display box? )

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:27 pm 

The candy's cool, and so are the matches.  Here's a coloring book:

These are relatively common compared with other TSR kitsch.  There were several in the series.  I don't have any of the pinball games.  The warrior on the cover is the same one on the pencil sharpener in the other thread.  It's pure fantasy.  No swordsman would ever wear a helmet that would interfere with swordplay.  It reminds me of the figurines with swords that are spiked on the pommel.  Not practical, but it looks cool.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:33 pm 

Hey tfm, that's Warduke whose helmet you're mocking!  

After he finishes carving Elkhorn into little bite-size dwaft bits he's going to be pretty pissed at what you said!  

I'd ask Strongheart to get your back if I were you . . .

:D

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:52 pm 

Oh yeah?  Well tell Warduke to make up his mind as to which is his shield arm and which is his sword arm.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:55 pm 

tfm wrote:Oh yeah?  Well tell Warduke to make up his mind as to which is his shield arm and which is his sword arm.

Much like a 3rd edition Ranger or a Vrusk, he is automatically ambidextrous.   :D

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:53 pm 

Beyondthebreach wrote:Hey tfm, that's Warduke whose helmet you're mocking!

Testify! No one mocks Warduke, man! He is the one figure in my collection* (I think it might have even come from burntwire), and he is teh r0xXzoRzz!

+++++

*I like the name :wink:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:03 pm 

Warduke was my hero growing up.  I played a Fighter named "Demonsnake", and had a pic of Warduke on his character sheet.
Ya'll might recall a year ago Dungeon Magazine had him on the cover.  Reaper miniatures had a sculptor (Bobby Jackson) produced a Warduke mini, and they cast up a dozen, with hopes of convincing Piazo of doing some sort of deal where they could offer them to subscribers or some such.  Piazo wasn't interested, but through my connections at Reaper I managed to get one, and had one of the world's best painters paint him up for me!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:09 pm 

Now that is one sweet mini, Gus!  One of 12 eh, that puts it up there with the TSR Lizardman logo minis that Grenadier sculpted to get the Solid Gold Line license :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:28 pm 

Awesome mini Gus, who painted it?  
I love the oddball, licensed items, the best oddball item I have is the TSR Tiffany paperweight.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:03 am 

Gus, I'm not a huge Warduke fan or anything, but that mini RAWKS!  Here's a few oddities I've got floating around:

I'd love to open this one up just to check out the ID card.  :)

Just weird.  Now if only it came with an official D&D battery....

Who needs to buy minis when you can make your own?

And the ever-popular tablecloth, to make your D&D birthday party complete.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:04 am 

blackdougal wrote:I'd love to open this one up just to check out the ID card.  :)

Red alert! Keep it closed. I opened mine (I was going to use it at GenCon SoCal as kind of a funny geek thing*) and it was oxidized and/or rusted in a number of places. I actually couldn't even use it as a one-weekend joke; I was worried I'd lose my money.

+++++

* funny to me, at least

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:47 am 

Here is some definite kitsch, but it seems to be unlicensed kitsch.  I can't find a manufacturer listed on any of these pieces.  I'm guessing that the British seller has a Suitcase of Infinite Replacement.

I suppose it's possible that these were promotional items, but the lack of nomenclature is suspicious.  Any insights?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:23 pm 

Don't have it scanned but a Frisbee in a mesh bag. Bought it either on eBay really early on or off CompuServe. It is yellow in color and has a red dragon which appears someplace else as a picture or logo though I can't remember where at this exact moment in time.

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Next