Way OT: The Olympics! (+ a bonus Killjoy32 poll)
Poll: When will Al hit 3K posts?

Today 0%       0%  [ 0 ]
Tomorrow 0%       0%  [ 0 ]
The next day 0%       0%  [ 0 ]
Well, he's at 2,904 and he averages 7.22 per day ... so that adds up to ... March 12, 2006 23%       23%  [ 5 ]
He won't! He'll stop at 2,999 just to spite us 32%       32%  [ 7 ]
It doesn't matter — DL39 or BC will get there first 9%       9%  [ 2 ]
Who is the Killjoy fellow? Never heard of him 18%       18%  [ 4 ]
Wait, is there a prize? Because I can type "LOL" into 3,000 posts like really, really quickly. [Signed] Draco 18%       18%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 22

Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:03 am 

I've boycotted the Olympics since they introduced synchronized swimming.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:20 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:I've boycotted the Olympics since they introduced synchronized swimming.

and you didn't think that womens beach volleyball was reason enough to tune in again?  :)

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:20 am 

faro wrote:Surely that can't be serious Olympic sport, anyhow, when our only medal was won by someone sliding face-down on a tea-tray at 80 mph ^^

hey i sooooo wanna do that! thats one of the things on my list of "what to do next"

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:21 am 

deimos3428 wrote:We have a rather talented young lady here in Canada that picked up 5 medals.

ohhhh yeah...i found a canadian to ask this....

so like the NHL is in canada right? so um what happened to their ice hockey team then?

thought that would have been one in the bag there..

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:22 am 

killjoy32 wrote:
faro wrote:Surely that can't be serious Olympic sport, anyhow, when our only medal was won by someone sliding face-down on a tea-tray at 80 mph ^^

hey i sooooo wanna do that! thats one of the things on my list of "what to do next"

Al

They actually sell a sled at places like Eastern Mountain Sports that can get speeds of 60 MPH, looks like a toboggan and like one you can steer it. They were showing it on the news the other day and it looked wild.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:06 am 

red_bus wrote:
Deadlord39 wrote:I've boycotted the Olympics since they introduced synchronized swimming.

and you didn't think that womens beach volleyball was reason enough to tune in again?  :)

Pleasant thoughts on this lovely morning...

"Surely you don't disbelieve the prophecies just because you had a hand in bringing them about?" J.R.R. Tolkien

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:18 am 

killjoy32 wrote:
deimos3428 wrote:We have a rather talented young lady here in Canada that picked up 5 medals.

so like the NHL is in canada right? so um what happened to their ice hockey team then?

Al

Too many ego's involved there.  The organizers picked old veterans and buddies instead of going with speed and young talent!  It is a huge issue here not even making it to the medal round.  Canada doesn't have much for sports except winter sports; not getting a medal in Hockey is a real sore point.  Switzerland beat us for god's sake.  Arghhh!!!!

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:19 am 

killjoy32 wrote:

Al

If your crazy enough you can do just that here in Calgary, go on a blobsled run and you will never be the same again!!  The rush of danger and speed is intoxicating!

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:27 am 

killjoy32 wrote:

Al

Uh oh.  That's a nasty topic 'round here.  

In my opinion, we lost the games we did precisely because we sent NHL players.  Professional sports players are more concerned with securing contracts & endorsement deals, and avoiding any potential injury, than with playing the game for fun.  We should have sent amateur players, like we used to do.  I'm not saying we would have won even then, but at least we could lose with some dignity. ;)

YIM  

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:04 pm 

Speaking of the amateur/pro angle regarding the Olympics, I have to admit I felt more emotionally invested when it was just non-pros.

I love the Olympics but I'm a little concerned about how ho-hum some of the big name competitors have become. It's nice to see the underdog who comes up big and then exhibits class, sportsmanship and honor, regardless of allegiance.

"Surely you don't disbelieve the prophecies just because you had a hand in bringing them about?" J.R.R. Tolkien

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:14 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:Uh oh.  That's a nasty topic 'round here.

Hey, at least your guys didn't need a late goal just to tie ... Latvia. (and why do I always think of Marvel's Doctor Doom when I hear "Latvia"?)

For the record:

U.S. roster: 23 players; 23 on NHL rosters;
Latvia roster: 23 players, 1 on an NHL roster.

The utter shame ... :oops:  :oops:  :oops:

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:29 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:
killjoy32 wrote:

If your crazy enough you can do just that here in Calgary, go on a blobsled run...

Blobsled? Is that what's left after you take a straight line on one of corners? :lol:

You guys is crazy... Enjoy! ^^ :D

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:14 pm 

i would love to do either the luge, bobsled, toboggan or even the skeleton - anything would do down that course...wow what a rush!

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:06 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:I'm going to play the averages ... March 12, baby!

Um, Al? I'm going to need like 75 "LOL" 's today, when you get a chance. Thanks in advance. :wink:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:18 pm 

I personally enjoy watching the Winter Olympics. Problem is the US coverage sucks ass. If an American is not in the medal running, our networks pretty much refuse to cover the event. Luckily, living in Southeast Michigan lets me tune into CBC :D  Excellent coverage.

On the post thing...I think I am under 1000 and I have been here for quite some time...

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:45 pm 

As soon as they allowed professional basketball and hockey athletes into the Olympics, I lost interest in cheering for either American team.  I would rather that college guys compete for something that has meaning rather than watch the ego boys get more egotistical.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:02 pm 

well there ya go. unless i counted wrong, thats about 3000 posts now isnt it?

so did anyone get the date right in the end?

:)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:10 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:well there ya go. unless i counted wrong, thats about 3000 posts now isnt it?

so did anyone get the date right in the end?

:)

Al

Well, we now know that at 3000 posts you officially become a Long-Winded collector. :lol:  I think that is Scott's not so subtle way of saying "Shut the hell up!"  :P

{j/k} :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

PreviousNext