Stump the Forum
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:22 pm 

I gather that's some sort of first edition of the Tunnels & Trolls solo adventure?

Yes. First Printing, November 1977, created by Bill Hart and illustrated by Leonard J. Sippel II, by Flying Buffalo for Tunnels & Trolls.

The only thing missing is the bong.

"I can shew you houses that have stood two centuries and a half and more; houses that have witnessed what would make a modern house crumble into powder.  What do moderns know of life and the forces behind it?" --Richard Upton Pickman

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:55 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:DW, DED, TC, THC, IRRC, IIRC, IAAGAT, OCE...God, I hate the acronyms!

They really get me P0'd!   :)

Mark   8)

the Uk zines also started using nicknames as well... which made things even harder to understand unless you knew what they were talking about..

Brette:)

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:47 pm 

beasterbrook wrote:the Uk zines also started using nicknames as well... which made things even harder to understand unless you knew what they were talking about..

TBH I'm glad they tended to stick with acronyms and I followed-suit on that.

If you want more fun, start collecting the old UK SF fanzines - 1930s/40s and onwards - and enjoy being on the receiving end of a game of confuse-the-hell-out-of-the-newbie.
I prefer Fidos to Sallies, but that's mostly personal taste. (And credit to anyone who could keep an APA running when there were bombers overhead...).

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:34 am 

Would be interested to know what you have

From the first box I took out of storage:

Demonsblood 1 - 7
Beholders 1 - 20+
Trollcrushers 6 - 27
Illusionist's Vision 1-4?
Underworld Oracle 1 - 7
Different Worlds #1

plus some other stuff that I can't remember and haven't found in storage yet - probably Dragonlords, Secrets of the Koan, Atu XVII and others.  Definitely Lokasenna and Deaths Dance Taken Slowly - pretty sure I have all of them, but haven't located them in my storage yet.  Maybe some White Dwarfs.  I'll dig around when I get a chance.

I'm more of an accidental collector - I contributed over the years to Demonsblood, Beholder, Lokasenna, DDTS, and some other odds and ends, and just ended up keeping a lot of copies of various magazines.

beasterbrook - thanks for IDing the News from Bree covers; that was starting to become an itch I couldn't scratch.

faro - nice to see Deathtrap Equaliser again.  I played that back in high school.  Note the English provenance with the spelling of Equaliser...  I'm trying to remember whether that was contemporary with the Halls of Testing solo adventures in Underworld Oracle.  There seems to have been a vogue for solo stuff back then.

the Uk zines also started using nicknames as well

Brian Dolton would often not put the name on Lokasenna and would call the zine something humorous in his editorials - Disappointing was one I recall, and Late Again.  I think the acronyms were a way of saving typing back in the days when 'zines were bashed out on manual typewriters.  You don't really want to be retyping Death's Dance Taken Slowly over and over again in a chat column...

By the way, the caped man with the beard that I posted above charging the demons and sorceror is a sort of self-portrait by Brian Dolton on the cover of Lokasenna #1.

If there are no takers on the warrior spearing wasp I'll post the entire cover later tonight.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:21 pm 

faro wrote:
grodog wrote:I haven't got a DW #1, alas, so I'm still on the lookout too, David :D

Filling my missing DW gaps is an absolute pain. And no, I'm not parting with $12 each for the others ;)

Am I that transparent? :P

faro wrote:The latest DW#1 up was a minty looking copy and would've ended at $2 or so were it not for my proxy. One of these days!

Hmmm, I haven't seen one in awhile.  Can you point me to the one that was just up?

faro wrote:(Can't recall what the start-up circulation was: 3,000 rings a bell for some reason. Not that many for a prozine, anyhow...).

I don't know, but will happily ask Tadashi (he's in Asia again, so it'll take awhile to get a response).

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:08 pm 

This game was produced in 1991 in Toledo, Ohio, USA.  Here are the front and back covers.

ImageImage

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:02 pm 

Is that from mindbenders, John?

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:41 am 

scribe wrote:Is that from mindbenders, John?

Nope.  :)

This game apparently had two editions.  The photos are of the first edition, which is listed on one site (John Kim's Darkshire.Net) as being published in 1992, even though the book itself is copyrighted 1991.  A second edition was published in 1994.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:45 am 

Here's the full version of the 'zine I posted earlier:

Shire Talk went to 7 or 8 issues, changing format to A5 after issue 6.  Sold mainly at cons, although it was also available by subscription.

Hey, got the hang of my scanner.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:31 pm 

How about this one?

"I can shew you houses that have stood two centuries and a half and more; houses that have witnessed what would make a modern house crumble into powder.  What do moderns know of life and the forces behind it?" --Richard Upton Pickman

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:15 pm 

You guys are killing me with the non-TSR stuff. I'm not much into fanzines, which has kept me from slitting my wrists since this thread was started, but damn......

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:23 pm 

That guy on the back of Crypt is very familiar to me as well.  I cannot place where I've seen that before.

Martin

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:25 pm 

There's some damn sweet stuff being posted here.  Keep it coming.  Great early artwork.

Martin

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:35 pm 

Yes...still very interesting.  I look forward to each new picture.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:21 pm 

tfm wrote:How about this one?

[ Image ]

The Necromancer's Bane put out by Bridge Games UK, copyrighted 1988, more of a set of miniture rules from memory, I also have their second supp, The Necromancer's Spell Book, this seems to be a book of generic fantasy spells...

Brette:)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:06 pm 

Anyone have any freakish TSR items?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:53 pm 

Excellent, although my copy says Brigade Games, Durham.  Try this one:

Truly a book of infinite spells.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:03 pm 

Infinity is sometimes spartan in appearance, tfm.  :wink:

PreviousNext