Stump the Forum
Author

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:42 pm 

thx. k... one more for now.

Shouldn't take long for someone else to say they have a copy; but it's a worthy item, so I'll post it anyhow... :)

Reflections, creases, grime and price tag are on the bag, not the mod ;) (note to Ian: 1980)

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:45 pm 

Not interested in wargaming stuff so anything that has it in the title I usually skip on... what sort of D&D stuff does it have? may have to add it to the want list

Brette:)

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:54 pm 

Darn, bad move... Pretend you didn't see that, Brette. :oops:

=
(aside: and from the query a couple of years back, you still don't have the name of that first Ozzie RPG 'zine, do you? *checks again*)

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:47 pm 

faro wrote:Darn, bad move... Pretend you didn't see that, Brette. :oops:

=
(aside: and from the query a couple of years back, you still don't have the name of that first Ozzie RPG 'zine, do you? *checks again*)

No actually, you'll have to tell me;) I have quite a bit more to add to the site actually, now thats its all out of storage I expect to update the site with scans and new items as well...

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:33 pm 

Hey Brette - sorry to drag your thread down into fanzine coverdom  ; )

Unfortunately most of what I have that's possibly unusual is of that ilk.  I'll post a couple more but if you think we should move it to a new folder I'm happy to do that...

Also, need help here.  My scans are either small and crappy looking or high def and giant on this folder.  Can you point me to any newbie guidance on posting scans?  Thanks.

Anyway, a couple more possible odd ones follow.

Andy

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:34 pm 

Who is that bearded man in the cape?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:36 pm 

And my proxy bidder missed out on that DW #1 :( :(

Prozine, please! :P

*watches for Allan*

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:46 pm 

Marinagh wrote:Hey Brette - sorry to drag your thread down into fanzine coverdom  ; )

Unfortunately most of what I have that's possibly unusual is of that ilk.  I'll post a couple more but if you think we should move it to a new folder I'm happy to do that...

As you may have guessed I collect em, so its of great interest to me, also the fact that you collect them is of great interest as well.. not many people collect them so always good to find someone else that does (even better when they are selling there collection :wink: ) Just thinking about the other people.. Would be interested to know what you have, most of what I have is listed on my site

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:50 pm 

Thank you Brette.  Here's something else that is known but doesn't come up that often:

I love the underground feel of the art.  Keep it coming!

"I can shew you houses that have stood two centuries and a half and more; houses that have witnessed what would make a modern house crumble into powder.  What do moderns know of life and the forces behind it?" --Richard Upton Pickman

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:00 pm 

beasterbrook wrote:As you may have guessed I collect em, so its of great interest to me, also the fact that you some is of great interest as well.. not many people collect them so always good to fand someone else that does (even better when they are selling there collection :wink: )

Hoping you get a chance to read/use them as well, Brette. :)
Lotsa good stuff in many of those.

Just checking since you didn't spot the "standard" TBH abbreviation, above... ;)
(Well, OK, they used "BH" earlier on, but that looked kinda silly ^^ )

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:53 am 

faro wrote:And my proxy bidder missed out on that DW #1 :( :(

Prozine, please! :P

*watches for Allan*

I haven't got a DW #1, alas, so I'm still on the lookout too, David :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:18 am 

faro wrote:[ Image ]

News From Bree...  :lol:

ok here's one, since we are on mostly UK zines, here is a UK made RPG.... Starfire RPG released at "Campaign '89" in Milton Keynes and written by Karl Clews and Matthew Finlayson. I even managed to track down one of the authors.

"Just to give you a brief outline: Matthew Finlayson and I and a bunch of friends back at school would spend long weekends playing RPGs, and over the years we started to adapt and combine the rules of those games we played (D&D, AD&D, MERP to name but a few) until we came up with something that at the time seemed to encapsulate the best elements of all of these systems. So Matthew and I decided to self-publish the rules system that we had put together. This we did in the gap before we all went off our separate ways to university, and we launched it at Milton Keynes, as you rightly said. I can't actually remember how many copies were printed in total, but we sold a couple of hundred in the end at various conventions and through a few independent shops. It certainly did better than we imagined it would."

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:32 pm 

tfm wrote:Thank you Brette.  Here's something else that is known but doesn't come up that often:

Wow ...

I gather that's some sort of first edition of the Tunnels & Trolls solo adventure? I thought I had a fairly complete T&T collection, but I've never even seen that edition.

Thanks for posting the image.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:29 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:I gather that's some sort of first edition of the Tunnels & Trolls solo adventure? I thought I had a fairly complete T&T collection, but I've never even seen that edition.

May not have sold particularly well, either, for some reason? (Nothing to do with the quality of cover artwork, I'm sure :lol:)

The likes of that Dargon's Dungeon was available from 1977 until the reprint in 1981, whereas the 1977 UK prints (by Strategy Games Limited) were only available for a short period until reissued in 1978 by Chris Harvey.

Sample SGL edition;

Somehow I can't imagine Ursla appearing in a TSR module...

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:39 pm 

beasterbrook wrote:News From Bree...  :lol:

Nazgul and Eagles on the covers and the man says "Dragonlords"!
Hey, I was searching everywhere for a duck, nipple or any other hint of DLness that I might've missed... :lol:

(Definitely close to the other end of the spectrum in terms of "reverence").

=
Don't recall seeing Starfire, btw. Kudos to them for selling a few hundred of those. :D

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:42 pm 

grodog wrote:I haven't got a DW #1, alas, so I'm still on the lookout too, David :D

Filling my missing DW gaps is an absolute pain. And no, I'm not parting with $12 each for the others ;)
The latest DW#1 up was a minty looking copy and would've ended at $2 or so were it not for my proxy. One of these days!

(Can't recall what the start-up circulation was: 3,000 rings a bell for some reason. Not that many for a prozine, anyhow...).

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:05 pm 

faro wrote:Sample SGL edition ... [snipped]

Wow, what a great cover. Far better than any of the U.S. editions, except perhaps for the final printing (the third, I believe).

I loved the DED for its sheer goofiness. "Let's see, I rolled an 8 ... that means I go into the equalizer room, have all my stats changed to 20s, and get fitted for my new star-fist. Okay, now I rolled a 12, that means ... (etc., etc.)."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:19 pm 

DW, DED, TC, THC, IRRC, IIRC, IAAGAT, OCE...God, I hate the acronyms!

They really get me P0'd!   :)

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

PreviousNext