Stump the Forum
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:57 am 

Always been one of my favorite threads, too.  Thanks for resurrecting it, Mark.  Unfortunately, I don't have anything to add, I just enjoy seeing (and envying) the odd and unrecognizable things that pop up here.   :D

Let mirth prevail!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:58 pm 

Wow. Does that module with the V-8 golems belong in this thread?

:lol:

Original 28mm fantasy gaming miniatures at http://www.centerstageminis.com

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:14 pm 

Where do you guys find these things?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:22 am 

FormCritic wrote:Where do you guys find these things?

As a starting point, I have a list of stuff from Afterglow and Heroic Worlds.  The list gets expanded as new items are found through Ebay or in various ads in magazines or fanzines.  I then do a lot of trying to track down authors or call game stores local to where the item was published.  In most cases, neither of these pay off but every once in a while things work out.  The success rate of all of this is pretty dismal though.  I have tracked down and chatted with a number of authors now and many dumped old stock when they moved or just don't seem to have any interest in going through the trouble to ship them.

Of the authors that I have tracked down and been told they have stock left over and would be willing to sell it, maybe 20% of the time the transaction goes through to completion.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:56 pm 

Center_Stage_Hobbies wrote:Wow. Does that module with the V-8 golems belong in this thread?

:lol:

Only if you create a Wikipedia entry trying to hype its non-existent value. :P

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:59 pm 

Mars wrote:Of the authors that I have tracked down and been told they have stock left over and would be willing to sell it, maybe 20% of the time the transaction goes through to completion.

Whatever the success rate, you are doing a good thing for the hobby.

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:41 pm 

Badmike wrote:I've had this for a long time, described it for Matthias Bock on his Afterglow page.  I've never seen another copy or heard of anyone else owning one:

[ Image ]

The artist, Darla Hallmark, is a well known artist of erotic fantasy work (now she is, I suspect she was a college student or such in 1984 when this was published).

Anyone else ever seen one of these?

Mike B.

I would love to know if anyone has one of those to spare.  I never got a copy at the time.

I am trying to gather up some of my early publications.  

Darla

www.unseengallery.com

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:58 am 

HannaFate wrote:
I would love to know if anyone has one of those to spare.  I never got a copy at the time.

I am trying to gather up some of my early publications.  

Darla

www.unseengallery.com

Darla;

I have never seen another copy.  I emailed your website a year or more ago and never heard anything back. I can't sell you the actual copy but you are welcome to a free photocopy if you wish, just PM me. I have also tried to find Lane Renfro to see if he has any other copies but I haven't been successful.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:47 am 

I'm resurecting the thread because I like it and I can...

(might even post something new as well...)

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:04 am 

Anyone know anything about The Warwick Supplements?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:16 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Anyone know anything about The Warwick Supplements?

Yes, 3 made, 1 and 3 available I believe, never seen #2, about the same info as you;) .. think I still have the guys email address as well..

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:40 pm 

This one got a chuckle but since the parody quotient is high I'd like to know whether anyone has another to confirm/save me firing an email over...

RPG supplement for Fringeworthy or Stalking the Night Fantastic; (c) 1984, so should take approximately 0.65 seconds to spot the context - *lol* for the green "G" on the transparent sheet over the cover. :P
Dodging the herp refs, the inside has "This is a run of 54 sets of photocopied pages that cannot be released to the general public in any way. These copies are intended for use by our general staff and associates with no intention of copyright infringement. These copies are not for sale" but given the general parody tone I'm not 100% sure whether to read that as-is or if it's just a warning to owners not to end up as lizard food.
Any ideas on status and/or how this might relate to "Guests: An Invasion of the Earth Supplement" alluded to elsewhere but not seen personally??

Along with this was a copy of DM's Book of Nasty Tricks and Misfit Magic (1989 as usual), but a hybrid vs. http://tomeoftreasures.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2513 given the Velo-Bind binding. (Zanzer Tem; do you recall the binding on the copy you just sold relative to those three, perhaps? I think I've misplaced the auction...).

Acquired from fairly near to their point of origin, fwiw.

Thanks,
David.

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:02 pm 

I have a copy of the "Guests" book by Tri Tac as well but I am guessing it might be slightly later than the copy you posted.  Mine has a product number 8901 on the top right and is more of a pink/red cover (with the same binding).  There is no colouring, no transparent sheet, no G.  The copyright page inside lists it as "GUESTS    #sp001".

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:30 pm 

Not Guests, but have a few copies of Nast tricks, all with the same cover and binding as shown, so presume it to be the most common example of that particular release.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:42 pm 

Cool, Mark; thanks. :) Any sign of that "54 sets" quote under the (c) or "An Invasion of the Earth Supplement" subtitle as listed elsewhere? And still with those typos on the back cover? ("Almost colplete", "dice are to expensive")
Was in two minds whether to read all that as "staking a claim" to the scenario vs. the obvious issues had they actually done so! ;)
Checked through and no mention of that other stock number.

Cheers, Ian: was that as a single batch from the obvious source?
Still quite a bit of unraveling to do, I'm sure... Made a change to seeing their rarest/oldest items vanish elsewhere for 99 cents a throw, anyhow.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:48 pm 

Yes it mentions the "54 sets" on the copyright page and the cover also has the subtitle under "GUESTS" "A Really Silly Alien Invasion of the Earth RPG Suppliment".  On the back it statles "Almost complete in 8 pages." - spelling error corrected - and "Polyhedral dice are too expensive to be included.".

I notice on the back right the product code is listed as "SPP 8901".

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:58 pm 

Mars wrote:Yes it mentions the "54 sets" on the copyright page and the cover also has the subtitle under "GUESTS" "A Really Silly Alien Invasion of the Earth RPG Suppliment".

*rofl* Well I guess that is where the other (sub)title mentioned elsewhere online comes from, even if whomever else noted that dropped the "really silly" part. :)
The "G" overlay was that for sure, even if it's a very, very short product!

Mars wrote:On the back it statles "Almost complete in 8 pages." - spelling error corrected - and "Polyhedral dice are too expensive to be included.".

I notice on the back right the product code is listed as "SPP 8901".

Thanks for checking. All fixed plus "proper" product code added; neat.
I wonder if this was ever "advertised" or just sold locally, then? Don't recall tripping over stacks of 'em on the 'Bay at least!

Trust Tri Tac to add a bit of (chaotic) flavor to the mainstream. :lol:

(Anyone else?? :))

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:15 pm 

faro wrote:Cheers, Ian: was that as a single batch from the obvious source?
Still quite a bit of unraveling to do, I'm sure... Made a change to seeing their rarest/oldest items vanish elsewhere for 99 cents a throw, anyhow.

No such luck. Picked them up one at a time over the years, and haven't got around to shifting them yet. Also have the Tri Tac CD release.

PreviousNext