Stump the Forum
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:52 pm 

bbarsh made a wonderful observation on the D&D Interesting Items Thread about Starfaring.  I've been trying to figure out a way for members to share items from their collections that might not otherwise enjoy any airtime because there's no reason to mention them--off-beat, low-print, or just plain rare.  The object here is to present an item that you think nobody else on the forum has a copy of.  Given the depth of member collections, this should not be easy.  Hopefully, we'll all learn something and see some really cool art!  To that end . . .

From Future & Fantasy Games

Am I an orphan?

"I can shew you houses that have stood two centuries and a half and more; houses that have witnessed what would make a modern house crumble into powder.  What do moderns know of life and the forces behind it?" --Richard Upton Pickman

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:00 am 

This one had Matthias stumped, so hopefully I should be on safe ground (unless John knows someone with a copy ;))

Is there anybody out there (with another copy)...? :o

(...Does anybody care... :D)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:33 am 

Hmmm, very cool stuff guys.  Never seen or heard of either one, but it's not hard to stump me.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:46 am 

Very interesting, never heard of either one... were they both generic fantasy from the late 70's or early 80s?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:41 am 

Here is one that looks to be in the similar style as one above:

It is from the early 80s.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:41 pm 

These are really cool!  Keep 'em coming!  As for Warlock, it's from 1979 by Richard Slabbekoorn.

"I can shew you houses that have stood two centuries and a half and more; houses that have witnessed what would make a modern house crumble into powder.  What do moderns know of life and the forces behind it?" --Richard Upton Pickman

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:07 am 

tfm wrote:As for Warlock, it's from 1979 by Richard Slabbekoorn.

Is Warlock a separate rules system, or is it leant to be supplemental to D&D like Balboa's Complete Warlock was?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:41 am 

Warlock is independent from any other gaming system, but it does give credit to Larry Niven and his Warlock stories for inspiring the game and several of the spells.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:52 am 

I have a copy of Spellbinder Games' 1979-ish "Spells with a Twist" supplement, written by Paul Burdick (who's still in the industry).  I don't have a scanner, so I can't post it.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:01 am 

Here's something else that's pretty rare.  I know of one other which Aaron sold a few years ago.  Perhaps a forum member bought it.

If I remember correctly, a group of Berkeley students put this togther.  It's copyrighted 1983 by New Rules.  They really spent a lot of money--the rulebook is in a small three-ring binder with color-printed cover, the full-color maps are printed on a heavy glossy paper, all with matching slipcase.  The cool thing about the maps is that each hex (12mm) is hand-numbered!  Oh, that must have taken some time.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:01 pm 

tfm wrote:Here's something else that's pretty rare.  I know of one other which Aaron sold a few years ago.

Make that two... :)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E7 ... 89-6155328

Nope: I don't have that, or either of the other two, although I could swear that guy on the back of "The Crypt of the Living Dead" looks familiar ^^
Neat!

Who's going to be the first to crack?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:19 pm 

We have a copy of "Hidden Kingdom" along with the supplement "High Chivalry in the Age of King Arthur".

We haven't seen "Hidden Kingdom" for sale since we bought our copy a few years ago.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:50 pm 

Cool!  That's a good price.  The one Aaron sold went for $150.  I have no idea how many they made, but given that it's 1983 the odds were good that someone would have it.  Here's something else that's known but doesn't see the light too often:

I'm putting it up because I like the cover.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:54 pm 

This is a cool thread.  I don't have any candidates, but keep em coming!

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:27 pm 

burntwire brothers wrote:We have a copy of "Hidden Kingdom" along with the supplement "High Chivalry in the Age of King Arthur".

We haven't seen "Hidden Kingdom" for sale since we bought our copy a few years ago.

Thought this was only a year or so ago, I remember I lost out to you on the supplement... I also have a copy of Hidden Kingdom

Brette:)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:59 pm 

Hi guys - I'm a newbie on the board, an old D&Der who used to be a bit of pack rat back in the 70's.  I'll post a few scans of some stuff I just dug out of storage after reading this thread.  Try this one first, a UK fanzine from the late 70's, title removed to make it harder:

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:01 pm 

Has a bit of a Trollcrusher look, but I'd have to re-check.

=

Oh, and hiya! :D

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:07 pm 

Hi faro - man, you're good.

Try this one, probably much rarer:

Image[/url]

Next