Domesday Book: Research Report
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:08 pm 

increment wrote in Domesday Book: Research Report:I'm surprised that you don't mention the interesting article in Ge'ez in your summary of DB#5.

Has anyone translated the article on p. 25 that is in Ge'ez? Or work out who submited it?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:45 pm 

I can't say that I got it translated, but I did get it in front of a couple of Ethiopian and Eritrean guys years ago to try to find out what it was. The consensus seemed to be that the text was legible as Amharic, but that the reproduction was so bad it was tough to make out. What I was told was that the title is something like "Natural Behavior," and it talks through the stages of life: about how a baby is screaming after it was born because it had been cozy inside the womb; and then about how little children understand of the world; and then how you come of age at 16, that sort of thing. Whether the (unknown) person who got it into the DB had any idea what it was about, I can't say I know.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:51 pm 

increment wrote in Domesday Book: Research Report:...how a baby is screaming after it was born because it had been cozy inside the womb; and then about how little children understand of the world; and then how you come of age at 16, that sort of thing...

"A child is cast from the womb to come of age at 16 & become tormented with boredom, spending untold amounts of his father's gold upon merriments & amusements of little worth. Then might a man of wisdom & cunning seek to exploit such a ripe market for the taking, spinning new manners of overpriced games from nothing more than papyri & graphites, & so found an empire upon imagination & consumerism."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:45 am 

sauromatian wrote in Domesday Book: Research Report:
"A child is cast from the womb to come of age at 16 & become tormented with boredom, spending untold amounts of his father's gold upon merriments & amusements of little worth. Then might a man of wisdom & cunning seek to exploit such a ripe market for the taking, spinning new manners of overpriced games from nothing more than papyri & graphites, & so found an empire upon imagination & consumerism."

Wow, thanks both.

Had assumed it was eitehr Geʽez used as a cypher, a fragment from a bible translations in Geʽez (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible_tra ... ns_into_Geʽez) or a fragment from some other Geʽez prayer book. Knowing it is not the former saves quite a bit of time.

Previous