Domesday Book: Research Report
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:14 pm 

Thanks mrmanowar, hope you enjoy.

For those interested in taking a look at Domesday Book #1, I've put up a scan and a detailed analysis of the contents on my blog.

http://playingattheworld.blogspot.com/2 ... ook-1.html

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:38 pm 

I put up another pretty lengthy blog post with a number of scans that covers the LGTSA Medieval Miniatures rules, in their April (Panzerfaust) and July (Domesday Book) incarnations. I do include a scan from DB #5.

http://playingattheworld.blogspot.com/2 ... rules.html

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:34 pm 

For the last of my series on heresies of the Domesday Book, we take a look at the Great Kingdom system from Domesday Book #9.

http://playingattheworld.blogspot.com/2 ... ook-9.html

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:01 pm 

Does your book come in a hard back ? I only own hard back books (just don't like paper backs.. sorry) ...

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:46 am 

No plans for a hardcover at this time, I'm sorry to say. Honestly, having a print edition at all is a bit of an anachronism these days, for some reason most people are leaning on me to get a Nook edition done...

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:43 pm 

increment wrote:For the last of my series on heresies of the Domesday Book, we take a look at the Great Kingdom system from Domesday Book #9.

http://playingattheworld.blogspot.com/2 ... ook-9.html

A paynim kingdom, possibly the object of crusades? Seems like the sort of place to find The Dungeons of Pasha Cada.

A few years ago I proposed a campaign based on re-constructing the early world of both Greyhawk & Blackmoor. At the time I had no idea that so much information survived, such as the Great Kingdom map, or Arneson's early Blackmoor notes. So my proposal would have involved a great deal of creative inference (often leading to self-indulgence on the part of the editors) & disappointing results.  

Now it's looking more like there's a critical mass of material, begging to be compiled together: the info from this new book, grodog's work on reconstructing Greyhawk, Arneson's First Fantasy Campaign.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:58 pm 

For those interested in research on the Domesday Book, I put up a blog post today about the sources behind several of Arneson's DB articles and illustrations related to medieval naval warfare. Although these articles are perhaps not the most material to the history of D&D, the originals can be found at quite a reasonable price.

http://playingattheworld.blogspot.com/2 ... tions.html

Author of Playing at the World, The Elusive Shift, Game Wizards co-author of D&D Art & Arcana and Heroes's Feast

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:00 pm 

increment wrote in Domesday Book: Research Report:I'll just list off the contents without much editorializing. I see that Paul already covered #4.

I'm surprised that you don't mention the interesting article in Ge'ez in your summary of DB#5.

I'd also remark that there is some pretty good evidence that the contents of a theoretical #14 would differ from those listed.

As an aside, in reference to the Messenger speculation here, there were articles about the proposed Medieval Society in a couple of the IFW's periodicals of the era, including the Messenger and the Supplement. AFAIK these were more or less directly in the few weeks leading up to DB#1 - there's nothing from 1969. The important one by Rob Kuntz is the March 1970 IFW Supplement. The Messenger notes are from Gygax, and do have some minor historical interest in detailing how Rob ended up the first King instead of Gary.

Domesday Book #1 (March 15, 1970)

One-page, no attribution (presumably all by Gygax). All are short blurbs, 1 paragraph or so.

"Hear Ye, Hear Ye, Hear Ye!"
"King: Robert (Kuntz) I"
"Program of Activities"
"Fattening Ye Exchecquer"
"Entering the Lists"

Domesday Book #2 (April 1, 1970)

One-page, no attribution (presumably all by Gygax). All are short blurbs, 1 paragraph or so.

"Muster of Arms Goes Apace"
"DB Contest #I"
"What is the Medieval Period?"
"King Creates First Peer of the Realm"
"Armorial Bearings"
"Join this Society!!!"
"DB Contest #II"

Domesday Book #3 (April 15, 1970)

Four pages, plus a joke. Mostly unattributed, presumably by Gygax.

"What the Heck is This?"
"DB Contest III"
"Attention: Miniatures Enthusiasts"
"DB Contest IV"
"Ranks of Liegemen [sic] Swell!"
"Wanted by the King!"
"Divisions of the Medieval Period" (Perren)
"The Battle of Webster's Gully" (early LGTSA miniatures battle report, the bulk of the issue)
"Forsooth! Scribings of Ye Editor!"
"Plug Time Again!"
"Who is the Varlet Responsible for This?!"
... joke page

Domesday Book #9 (undated)

Twenty-one pages. Unlike the issues described above, this one has a Table of Contents - pretty fancy. Printed by Schleicher.

"The Varangian Guard" (unattributed)
"Futile" (Dave Arneson)
"Evolution of Naval Warfare" (Dave Arneson)
"The Great Kingdom" (Gary Gygax)
"Precedence by Title or Office" (unattributed)
"The Mongols in Europe" (Rick Crane)
"Manzikert" (Gary Gygax)

Can someone please update the Domesday Book page with the above information? https://www.acaeum.com/library/domesday.html

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:08 pm 

increment wrote in Domesday Book: Research Report:I'm surprised that you don't mention the interesting article in Ge'ez in your summary of DB#5.

Has anyone translated the article on p. 25 that is in Ge'ez? Or work out who submited it?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:45 pm 

I can't say that I got it translated, but I did get it in front of a couple of Ethiopian and Eritrean guys years ago to try to find out what it was. The consensus seemed to be that the text was legible as Amharic, but that the reproduction was so bad it was tough to make out. What I was told was that the title is something like "Natural Behavior," and it talks through the stages of life: about how a baby is screaming after it was born because it had been cozy inside the womb; and then about how little children understand of the world; and then how you come of age at 16, that sort of thing. Whether the (unknown) person who got it into the DB had any idea what it was about, I can't say I know.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:51 pm 

increment wrote in Domesday Book: Research Report:...how a baby is screaming after it was born because it had been cozy inside the womb; and then about how little children understand of the world; and then how you come of age at 16, that sort of thing...

"A child is cast from the womb to come of age at 16 & become tormented with boredom, spending untold amounts of his father's gold upon merriments & amusements of little worth. Then might a man of wisdom & cunning seek to exploit such a ripe market for the taking, spinning new manners of overpriced games from nothing more than papyri & graphites, & so found an empire upon imagination & consumerism."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:45 am 

sauromatian wrote in Domesday Book: Research Report:
"A child is cast from the womb to come of age at 16 & become tormented with boredom, spending untold amounts of his father's gold upon merriments & amusements of little worth. Then might a man of wisdom & cunning seek to exploit such a ripe market for the taking, spinning new manners of overpriced games from nothing more than papyri & graphites, & so found an empire upon imagination & consumerism."

Wow, thanks both.

Had assumed it was eitehr Geʽez used as a cypher, a fragment from a bible translations in Geʽez (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible_tra ... ns_into_Geʽez) or a fragment from some other Geʽez prayer book. Knowing it is not the former saves quite a bit of time.

Previous