MERP Collection looking for good home
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:59 pm 

First and foremost, I have had this collection since 1984 and added to it through 1990. Every item has been stored in a careful manner---high quality comic book covers with original cardboard supports, in boxes, and surrounded by foam wrap that was all stored in a cedar chest.
Anyway, I will not sell this stuff on Ebay due to the fact that I am not looking for ordinary individuals to get a hold of this collection. I am not expecting to get mega rich from the sale of this....I just want it to be in good hands.
All of these items, but one and the Tolkien adventure books, were bought via mailorder through ICE---I even still have one of the boxes!!!
Here is a list of what I have along with the condition---A note: 4 or 5 of the modules have had the cover removed carefully from the text so as to prevent staple pulls---in other words, the original staples hold the text together and can be pulled apart to reattach the cover---The maps were mostly printed on the covers and I did this to prevent damage during gameplay or trips to the photocopier..... I will reassemble if requested (I work in the printing industry, so this bindery task is fairly simple).
However, here is my list:

2 Spring 1987 ICE catalogs VF to NMint
1 Summer 1987 ICE catalog VF with slight production scuff on cover
1 Winter 1990 ICE catalog mint
St#2200 Campaign and Adventure Guidebook-- Fine a little wear on spine
St#1200 Spell Law Rolemaster softcover from 1985 Fine to VF
St#8001 Combat Screen with 1st edition picture---VG
St#8100 1st edition Boxed set-never used-Near Mint
St#8100 2nd editon Boxed set-never used-Near Mint
St#8000 2nd edition Rulebook-Fine
ME#2300 Angmar Land of the Witch-King-Fair-let friend borrow and he placed it next to a wood burner so it is brown from the heat--but not burned....nothing is missing and I bought this at a store. Still has price tag on it. This one was printed in 1982....
St#4010 Mirkwood the Wilds of Rhovanion-Fine to VF
St#2800 Isengard and Northern Gondor-VF
St#8002 Lords of Middle-Earth Vol. One-F to VF
St#8003 Lords of Middle-Earth Vol. Two-VF
St#8004 Lords of Middle-Earth Vol. Three-F to VF
St#2100 Map folded-VF, never unfolded--I have two and am keeping the other
St#8100 2nd Edition Boxed set -VG
St#8204 Halls of the Elven King-Fine
St#8070 Goblin-Gate and Eagles Eyrie-Fine
St#8050 Thieves of Tharbad-VG to fine
St#8080 Rivendell the House of Elrond-Fine
St#8011 Mouths of the Entwash-VF
St#8030 Shelob's Lair-VG
St#8020 Dagorlad and the Dead Marshes-VF
St#8010 Bree and the Barrow Downs-VF
St#8040 Hillmen of the Trollshaws-NM includes extra cover that ICE sent along with it....I requested it.
Tolkien Quest #101 Night of the Nazgul-VG
Middle-Earth Quest#1 A Spy in Isengard-VF to NM
Middle-Earth Quest#2 Treason at Helms Deep-VF to NM
Middle-Earth Quest#3 Mines of Moria-VF to NM
1 limited edition numbered #567/2000 and autographed print from Edward P. Beard Jr. titled "Beregond" from M-E "The Wizards" collectible card game from ICE issued in 1995. Mint still in wrap.
I am a very fair and honest person and I will consider only honest offers. If interested, please PM me and I will send pictures if requested and think about offers. Please pass the word around about this collection. I only will sell to those who want a superb collection for what it is: a "superb collection", and not to individuals whom I feel are crazy Ebayers......
Thanks.

I'm not giving in to security under pressure.
I'm not missing out on the promise adventure.
I'm not giving up on implausible dreams.
Experience to extremes.
Experience to extremes.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:34 pm 

What would you consider an honest offer?

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:16 am 

Blackmoor wrote:What would you consider an honest offer?

And would you consider breaking it up or are you looking to sell it all to just one person?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:41 am 

MERp is one area of my collecting that I haven't really got into... I'd like to make an off but I wouldn't have the fogiest what its worth...

Brette:)

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:05 am 

Based on the average prices (this also includes my price for the catalogs---there are no suggestions for value anywhere...)from various websites like Noble Knight, eBay, Ubid, and merp.com......
I would like to see this collection stay together. Too much hassle splitting it up.
I am thinking that a price of $650 US Dollars and individual pays for shipping is right down the middle. PM me with your offer so I may think about it and I'll pick the individual privately.

Experience to extremes.
Experience to extremes.

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:09 am 

If I have to break this collection up, it will take some convincing to do so---just send me a Private Message with your offers and I will think about it---I would prefer to keep the whole collection together.

Experience to extremes.
Experience to extremes.

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:12 am 

Money orders only also and I will ship UPS in boxes filled with foam, rags, newspapers---anything to prevent any damage to item---I would suggest buying shipping insurance....Anyway PM for more info on and from me.

Experience to extremes.
Experience to extremes.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:03 pm 

Hi bytingkat.  Welcome to the forum. I hope it leads you to looking at all sorts of games to collect.

I know that there are no formal valuations available for MERP - so all prices tend to be based upon a view of what the market (and for that, you should probably read ebay) is doing at the moment.  I think your collection looks really interesting but I am not so confident that you will get $650 for it.  If you do, I think you will have done very well.

Not counting the autographed card (I don't know what that is worth) I would value your collection at between $433.50 and $586.50 if the items were sold separately.  Putting them together in one lot and noting that, although in great condition, they have been played with, I would go for the lower end of that range.

Where does that figure come from?  Well, you could look at each item individually, and take a weighted average (according to condition) from the last month's completed ebay auctions.  I haven't done that, I have used a rougher method.  The core of your collection is 22 Rolemaster/MERP books.  These will probably average out about $20 each (there are no big ticket items (Ardor/Umbar/Grey Mountains/Gorgoroth/Guldur/Lake Town/Hands of the Healer (and a few others) etc..).  You will probably get another $70 for the 4 catalogues, 4 Quest books and a folded map.  That gives you $510 - so you should be looking at 15% either way.  And without pictures, in one lot, probably the lower end.

MERP prices have been on the up recently - so you might want to wait for a while.  If you are still keen to sell in one go (whether here or on ebay) I would definitely look to display some pictures, so people can see what the condition is like.

Please do not take this as any slight upon your collection.  As I said, it sounds fantastic.  I too have a large MERP collection which I have spent years adding to - and I am absolutely sure that I would value it at considerably more than what somebody else would likely think.  :)

For information, here is a link to a larger lot of 50 that sold recently.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MERP-I-C-E-LOTR-50- ... dZViewItem

I really hope you get what you want - if you think that there is no-one yet to pay what you think is a good value, you should definitely hold off on selling it - these are beautiful books.

Best of luck.

Steven.

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:26 pm 

Thanks for insight and information. Perhaps I may wait, but I would really like to get this collection off my hands:). Anyway, as I stated earlier, I used the lowest prices and the highest prices, got an average for each item to come up with my price. Also, my figure is not etched in stone....I believe I suggested to please send me an offer and I will think about it.

Websites I visited to come up with price:

amazon.com

nobleknight.com

tolkienshop.com

tolkientown.com

waynesbooks.com

http://asp.merp.com/ebay.asp

I also found various mentions on many other google searches that stated prices...too many for me to type out. I spent a good amount of effort looking for prices. Some of the items on my list in comparable quality were going for as low as $2, some as high as $60. There are 29 items, each with a huge variation of worth due to rarity and condition. It worked out to an average of $20 a piece. (perhaps my downfall is using some of the stores to find prices....I was rather shocked at how much was being asked for some of the items I have...)

Anyway, I am willing to take offers.....

To see pictures of this collection:

http://home.wideopenwest.com/~bytingkat/new_page_4.htm

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:22 pm 

bytingkat wrote:....I just want it to be in good hands....I only will sell to those who want a superb collection for what it is: a "superb collection", and not to individuals whom I feel are crazy Ebayers......

Well I'll tell you why I want your collection and you can decide if my hands are good. I used to play MERP back in the day and I still think that it was the most fun RPG I have ever played.
Anyway, if you have heard anything about the upcoming LOTR Online computer game, you will know that it is a travesty. So, I am going to undertake the task of building a massive module/persistent world for Neverwinter Nights (I or II, depending on when I get enough source material to start) based on MERP so that people can go online and experience a REAL middle earth role playing experience. Your collection will be enough to start if not complete an encredible middle earth persistent world that people all over the world can play on, for free, I might add (Neverwinter Nights online is completely fan based).
Secondarily, through my many relocations (9 since I started playing MERP), my MERP collection has been completely lost (or stolen, who knows). Anyway, between myself, my wife, my cousin (who originally turned me on to MERP), a friend who is a HARD CORE gamer, and another friend of mine, I want to start up another MERP gaming group.
Besides my cousin, they do not yet know the glory that is MERP.
Thank you.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:24 pm 

Out of curiosity, did this collection ever get sold?

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:19 pm 

No, I haven't sold it yet.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:28 pm 

I'm not really surprised. Much of your collection -- which sounds superbly maintained, by the way -- are the MERP adventures, which aren't regarded well by the MERP community; I've seen some pretty harsh reviews of them. That makes them pretty common in the resale market.

The retailers you quoted are probably being overly optimistic in their valuations. I'll bet they still have the same exact adventures for sale, unless they got around to dropping their prices.

Dagorlad, Hillmen, Bree, Thieves, etc -- I wish I had a buck for every time they ended under $10 on eBay.

Rivendell, Lorien: Halls of the Elven King, should do a bit better since they are sourcebooks.

Lords of Middle-Earth series, I've never understood why they don't fetch more on eBay, all full of interesting information... They must have been over-printed or something.

MERP boxed sets do poorly in resale, again, not sure why. Must be a lot of them out there.

The Rolemaster core books, very little eBay interest in them. Some of the RM accessory books do well in auction.

I'm just being frank here. I think earlier posters weren't doing you any favors by being overly gentle. I'd guess the whole lot would auction off at about $300 these days, maybe more in seperate auctions.