White Rose Publishing
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:03 am 

Does anyone have a print edition of White Rose Publishing's Tapestry medieval rpg, or their historical supplements Fief and/or Medieval France?  Lisa J. Steele wrote them, and Fief is now available in a .pdf edition (with MF due to be released soon, perhaps) from S. John Ross' Cumberland Games:  http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/fief.htm

I'm trying to get info on how to locate them through interlibrary loan, since they're rather unfindable, and I thought some university libraries might have them.  If anyone has copies that they're willing to sell/trade, please let me know, but mostly I'm looking for more bibliographic details to help locate the books for borrowing.

Thanks!

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:58 pm 

If all you need is bib info, you might try the Books Out of Print section in Books in Print, which can be found at any college or university library.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:54 pm 

It's OOP now, tfm, so I'd have to go back to the 1994/95/96 editions of Books In Print, then, right?  (It's been a long long time since I used Books in Print :D ).

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:41 am 

I'm still looking for a copy of Medieval France, in case anyone has a spare to trade or sell =)

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:44 am 

I've been looking too.  Never seen one for sale.  Found a picture of the cover, but that's it.  Never seen Tapestry either - did you find one?

In the interest of reducing the number of impossible things on my want list, an original Fief was crossed off, but the new edition (and the followup, Town) from Cumberland are quite nice.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:04 pm 

TheHistorian wrote in White Rose Publishing:I've been looking too.  Never seen one for sale.  Found a picture of the cover, but that's it.  Never seen Tapestry either - did you find one?

Yes, that's off the list now :)

In the interest of reducing the number of impossible things on my want list, an original Fief was crossed off, but the new edition (and the followup, Town) from Cumberland are quite nice.

Agreed, Fief and Town rock!

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:02 pm 

i think i wrote to the author for my copy of tapestry. i think she sent me a letter with my copy. i'll check to see if my memory jibes with the facts....

Shrink is not a condition

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:16 am 

Thanks Bill.  Mine has a flyer with it, for the (presumably unreleased) Tapestry II):

Front cover:

Title page:

and flyer:

Bill, do you also have a copy of Medieval France?  If you do, I've never seen a copy, and would definitely love to check it out at GaryCon or NTX next year :D

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:37 pm 

No I don't have the flyer nor a copy of Medieval France. The cover and title page of my copy of Tapestry appear to be identical to yours.
I didn't have the letter from Lisa Steele with my copy, which was disappointing, as that's normally where I would have kept it. Back to the archives...

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:27 am 

The only information I've ever turned up on Medieval France (other than Allan asking about it :) of course) is a review from an old Pyramid:  Pyramid: Pyramid Pick:  Medieval France

So that's a (partial?) cover pic.  Doesn't get us any closer to finding copies.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:37 pm 

Medieval France?? I NEED!!!

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:22 pm 

now keep in mind Geraud, it is not a fantasy role-playing item...

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:31 pm 

Jedi mind trick does not work... ;)

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:40 pm 

no, no you misunderstand me. i'm not trying to trick you in to not getting it so that i can get one; i'm literally saying that it is not a fantasy role-playing item; it is I'm sure an interesting book written by gamers discussing medieval france, but there aren't going to be stats for Philip the Fair or hit points for the Maid of Orleans. i just didn't want you to be questing for a copy for 10 years when you could be reading Georges Duby in the interim.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:07 pm 

Not even a gaming-aid?  :cry:
I never found any supplement which describes correctly the medieval France (most of them looks like history books and totally tedious or they are complete useless for a DM).

Anyway, thanks for the details :)
One less on my want list (actually, two less, with Uuraah)

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:58 am 

Now i am curious: if its not a rpg, what kind of game is it? If its not aa game, what is in there?
Ciaooo

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:00 am 

lokiwookie wrote in White Rose Publishing:Not even a gaming-aid?  :cry:
I never found any supplement which describes correctly the medieval France (most of them looks like history books and totally tedious or they are complete useless for a DM).

Anyway, thanks for the details :)
One less on my want list (actually, two less, with Uuraah)

Its not about france in specific but the most real supplement describing middle ages is the couple of books by disenchanted games...

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:27 am 

it is an historical overview of 1500 years of French history with an eye on the everyday workings of society. I am not trying to disparage the book at all; I wish I had a copy, and would buy one if I came across it; well I'd make sure to buy two and send one to Allan. I have picked up hundreds of books like this (funny, I don't get much use from my Everyday Life of the Etruscans) describing ancient & medieval societies, economies, law, religion, art, sex (prostitution in the 13th century), ephemera (windmill pioneers in the 12th century) and of course military. The advantage of Medieval France is that it was written by gamers, for gamers. So while I had to plow through a dozen dry tomes about medieval crop rotation to answer my questions about what the ratio was of acreage to mouths fed, I bet MF has a rough estimate that is in the ballpark ( as well as adequately answering a dozen other things that inquiring DM's would want to know).

Next