Request: all "edition debates" moved to ONE thread
Author

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:32 pm 

The sub-head at the top of the page I'm currently viewing reads "Dungeons & Dragons Collecting Forums," yet I keep stumbling across so-called "collecting" threads that have been lurched horribly off-course — or ruined entirely — by pointless D&D edition debates and 3e "humor."

Enough is enough. Yes, 1e was quirky, 2e began TSR's 100-products-a-month slide into debt, and 3e is a munchkin's paradise — we get it already. But unless the discussion centers around the collecting aspects of these various editions, what are these debates doing in the "Dungeons & Dragons Collecting Forums" in the first place?

Now, on the other hand, I'm all for free speech, and I generally appreciate the fact that the Acaeum forums are not heavily moderated. So I'm thinking there has to be a middle ground here somewhere ... how about a "D&D edition debates" thread? Those who are interested in such things could flame away with impunity, secure in the knowledge that they are not clogging up any other threads; those of us who couldn't possibly care less could just ignore the thread entirely. In this way, such a thread would serve roughly the same purpose as Brian's "Off-Topic Chit-Chat" thread," which I feel has really done us all a valuable service.

I'd be happy to begin such a thread (or to just have it be this thread), but I suppose I should make sure I'm not the only person here who feels this way. Anyone else have a strong opinion on this matter?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:35 pm 

As a survivor of Dragonsfoot's Edition Wars forum, BAD IDEA.  It will cause Foul more problems than anything else he's ever done on these forums.

No no no edition debates or edition wars.  Just ban the 3e talk.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:51 pm 

Traveller wrote:As a survivor of Dragonsfoot's Edition Wars forum, BAD IDEA. It will cause Foul more problems than anything else he's ever done on these forums.

No no no edition debates or edition wars. Just ban the 3e talk.

I know that DF perviously had a lot of problems with the edition wars and there for there is to be no talk about 3e or 3.5e at all, but are you serious that they actually had an Edition Wars Forum? 8O  That is just asking for trouble.

FWIW, I agree about the 3e/3.5e thing. I do like the unmoderated part of the forum, but I am not sure why folks come here to talk about the 3e, it is clearly not a 3e site. :?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:58 pm 

Traveller wrote:As a survivor of Dragonsfoot's Edition Wars forum, BAD IDEA. It will cause Foul more problems than anything else he's ever done on these forums.

No no no edition debates or edition wars. Just ban the 3e talk.

But nothing here ever gets banned. For better or worse (mostly better, IMO), this is the least-moderated forum I've ever been a part of.

I fail to see how (potentially) containing any edition debates to ONE thread is so much worse than having them infect FIFTY threads. I'm really missing your logic there ...

Perhaps I could have been clearer in my first post: I truly wish there weren't any edition debates here at all — ever. They are beyond pointless, and the "+19 vorpal sword of dire doom" humor* has worn really, really thin.

But the debates do exist, and they are appearing here at The Acaeum, and they are in 50 different threads. Given that that is the reality of the situation, what I'm asking is whether or not they should be moved to a central location.

+++++

*And by "humor," I mean "not funny."

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:09 pm 

I have re-worded the initial subject line. The first version almost made it sound like I really wanted to have 1e/2e/3e debates.

Nothing could be further from the truth; I apologize for any confusion.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:34 pm 

Thank you Xaxaxe for the mature idea, but truthfully, DF and other od&d/1e/2e/whatever sites have taught me is that gamers of all games/systems/whatever are way too opinionated and set in their ways, no matter if it's d&d or any other game.

Let's just ignore 3e, and this comes from a guy who runs/plays 3e, and won't go looking for a 1e/2e group because all he's seen from the remaining players is blind intolerance and baseless assumptions(except for a rare few online, but they're all in different states).

Let's all remain civil, and focus on what matters, that we all like collecting/reselling Out-Of-Print Roleplaying Games.

Rant off.  :D

There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:26 am 

bclarkie wrote:I know that DF perviously had a lot of problems with the edition wars and there for there is to be no talk about 3e or 3.5e at all, but are you serious that they actually had an Edition Wars Forum? 8O That is just asking for trouble.

They actually did have an edition wars forum, and it eventually degenerated into an all out assault on the site by 3e players.  We who played older editions fought them off, by showing them that their l337 skillz and kewl powerz could not stand against real role playing.

A major oversimplification of what actually happened, but I try to forget about those days.  The scars though still run fresh at times.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:43 am 

Your right, keep it a collectors forum!

I have to admit though as being the instigator in a few of those threads, it is funny to see the outcry of comments after posting anything remotely positive about the new game :D

I will keep my comments to collecting and related stuff from now on!

Now onto the Lost Tamoachan............

J

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:03 am 

Great!  I finally have some thoughts on 3E, but no where to say them!  I've been reading a lot of it lately and while I don't particularly like it, there are ALL KINDS of good ideas (many of which were house rules that I used) that would greatly improve a 1E Campaign.  

But . . . now everyone wants to be moderate and tolerant of others . . .  :roll:

Oh well, I'll just keep it all to myself then.

(But let me say that 1E multi-classing blows and 3E is better - though it still needs tweaking since it has everyone progressing at the same experience rate regardless of class - yuck!  I was going to post more on the multi-class thread, but as Xaxaxe has conveniently created this post, I won't soil the main forum with my opinion. )  :D  :D  :D  :D

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:20 am 

Xaxaxe wrote:Anyone else have a strong opinion on this matter?

I think we should just let people rant where they may.  Pardon the pun, but it builds character.

We're primarily a collecting forum, but you can't talk about collecting without at least some off-topic discussion.  It creates a sense of community, and that doesn't mean we have to agree.

There will always be edition wars (mostly because that other side won't listen to reason and cave!  :roll: ) but in the end, they're harmless.  As long as they don't break down to personal attacks, I don't see the big deal.

YIM